Why do molecules jiggle about instead of being super rigid?

Why do molecules jiggle about instead of being super rigid?

Other urls found in this thread:

news.berkeley.edu/2017/01/26/scientists-unveil-new-form-of-matter-time-crystals/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Why would they be rigid?
That would imply there's a force holding them from moving

You mean, brownian motion?

Because the things that make them up are violent, vibrating probability points of fuck.

Walter White

Because electrons move constantly

>brownian motion
It's not brownian motion champ

/thread

Cause we're hurdling across space fast as fuck

What is space?

Why do your moms titties jiggle about instead of being super rigid?

this
and because most forms of bonds aren't strong and or rigid enough to make it "super rigid"

Put very simply it's because in quantum mechanics things that can jiggle always have a minimum amount of jiggling (zero point energy).
If things didn't jiggle it would violate the heisenberg uncertainty principle.

"Quantum mechanics"
>hurrrrrr why is it always QM
There's a tremendous amount of energy being exchanged between the molecule and its environment, electrostatic interactions and other shit make sure it'll always have some kind of force acting upon it, making it vibrate, rotate or, as you like to call it, jiggle.

Sure, but you can almost completely isolate a molecule from outside interactions and cool it down to nearly 0K and it will still be in motion.

Maybe I should have specified that there's intramolecular interactions as well. Electrons aren't static. Also, nearly 0K isn't 0K -> there are still interactions from the environment.

>Quantum mechanics

Crystal structure like diamond and silicon tend not to wiggle much. Your pic related has rotable fucking bonds so it's gonna wiggle like crazy. Even if the bonds were perfectly rigid a structure that has rotable bonds would still jiggle.

>Why would they be rigid?
>That would imply that there is a force making them move.

Because they're natural.

That's not how rigid constraints work.

If my molecules are jiggling then why arent I jiggling?
Checkmate physicists

You are all wrong.

Time crystals.
news.berkeley.edu/2017/01/26/scientists-unveil-new-form-of-matter-time-crystals/

Rigidity is a meme.

i thought electrons didn't move and were just probability clouds.

Probability clouds are just representations.

If Walter White saved your life
Sing Walter White

Simply put, because they have kinetic energy in the form of thermic energy, allowing bonds between atoms to jiggle in different, quantisized states. The closer you get to absolute zero (i. e. 0 K or -273,15 °C or -459,67 F) the lesser jiggling you have. However, in theory, you'd still see some jiggling even there (see "zero point energy). Yet, no one has ever really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like.

Is this the best you can do, Veeky Forums? Not one person has adequately responded to OP's very simple question.

On the contrary, young padawan. Electrons are in constant motion and move so fast, physicists just said, "Fuck it, let's make an orbital cloud in areas that it might be occupying to kinda predict the no-touchie regions for colliding electrons." Sorry to correct you and shit, but you needed to know.

Napoleon Dynamite was like 15 years ago, bro.

Different bond conformations have different energies but the differences are so small that they are usually attainable from the ambient heat at room temperature. The lower the temperature, the smaller the amount of "jiggling" that occurs. At 0K you won't get any "jiggling".

Double bonds don't "jiggle" around because the energy required to move them around is higher than your average room temperature can provide.

What are you talking about?
Planty of people have adequately responded to OP's very simple question.
It's just that energy is kind of vague because there are so many forms of it and because so many different things can happen to the molecule because of it.

>why do molecules jiggle about instead of being super rigid?
Because temperature of any given molecule causes the thing to have 'thermal motion'. Do you think you can just apply energy to a molecule and have it do nothing?

the simplest way to explain this to you would to be approximate the energy of the system by solving the shrodel-dinger equation. from memory its something like hookes law

E = h*(n+1/2)*v

The most basic explenation is this. The system must have positive energy (E) and as you can see for this to be true frequency (v) can not equal zero. Hence the system must always vibrate like your mums hot pocket insert

I had the wrong equation but the same thing applies for the actual one, that one up there deals with quantum vibrational number which I believe can equal zero hahaha