Anyone here ever been to a very fancy or Michelin starred restaurant? How was your experience? Would you go again?

Anyone here ever been to a very fancy or Michelin starred restaurant? How was your experience? Would you go again?

I've gotten the urge to go to a starred restaurant after watching Chefs Table on netflix, I thought it was pretentious bullshit before but it actually looks very interesting

Other urls found in this thread:

threechimneys.co.uk/
thehandandflowers.co.uk/menu/alacarte/mains/
instagram.com/p/BNbKx_CDGsq/?taken-by=loam_galway
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>I disliked something until I actually knew what it was

Brilliant.

>if u dont like something ur ignarent

f of

If you have strong opinion on any kind about something you know nothing about, you're an moron.

I never said I liked or disliked it, because I've never been to a restaurant like that. Thanks for your contribution though

>I thought it was pretentious bullshit

>I can't see the difference between an initial reaction and an evaluation

I went to Numa and let's just say I never look at food the same way. Its art to me now

Numa(le)

>le
>>>/france/

Been to a few in the US/JP/HK and some places that would have them if they wanted/were in cities covered by the guide.

If you enjoy food and the dining experience they are usually worth it. Food is great and I'm a fan of tasting menus. Service is flawless. One of things I like is the attention to detail in the service they are like ninjas moving quickly quietly. There you need them invisible when you don't.

A lot of them are not crazy expensive overall esp if you don't drink wine. I just made the choice a few years ago I would rather go out to a remarkable places fewer times in a year than dine out casually more often.

*Noma
I believe you.

Well, I went to Harry Ramsden's and was deeply disappointed. The fish course was fine but the service was atrocious and the waitress laughed when I asked for the wine list.

wow what load of bullshit. Thanks for the warning

Fuck am I looking at here? An under cooked piece of tenderloin with a thimble of rice accidentally served on some modern art school dropout's newest piece using a tiny little plate and a few kinds of sauce? Cause that's what the fuck it looks like to me. You'd find more satisfying, and filling, food from a sample lady in a Sam's Club or some shit.

t. Cletus

I work at Bistro SK in the Bronx, on City Island. We were awarded a Star for a reason I can't figure out. Truly.

Neat, I didn't know that existed. Never even been to city island and I've lived in the city for 20 years. Maybe I'll make the trip out there and drop some memes

Been to a handful of 1 star places and a few 2 star places in NYC. The service is always great and the food is at least good. The higher end you go the less it's about the actual food and more about the experience--my fiancé and I are food nerds, so much of the fun is seeing this great cutting edge cuisine that's an expression of the chefs creativity, but not every dish makes you think "wow this is delicious"

If you're not interested in those sorts of considerations (which are by no means everyone's cup of tea) then you may be better off spending your money on a good a la carte meal rather than a tasting menu. In either case, I'd go first for a place that's doing a type of cuisine I already know and like to see what the "fancy" version of that cuisine is, before doing some new Nordic haute gastronomy thing right off the bat.

You're served like 20 courses over the course of a night, of varying size

Like eight star restaurants. One had two. Honestly it is great, all save for one were outstanding. It is vastly different from going to your local place, naturally, but I haven't left one without feeling full. Wine is very important, always select a pairing with the courses (unless you don't like wine) and know that it can take hours overall.

I had dinner here when it still had its Michelin star:

threechimneys.co.uk/

Not entirely sure why it doesn't any more, it is really an incredible place. Staff very professional but still friendly, and the food was incredible. Not really into seafood but I went all out there and would absolutely go back

>threechimneys.co.uk/
that looks comfy as fuck, and honestly not inaccessibly expensive like I expected it to be.

Been wanting to go to Band of Bohemia in Chicago. They got a star in their first year

>the waitress laughed when I asked for the wine list.
why?

did you ask to see the manager?

I never ever send food back or complain but if I am laughed at for anything I'm eating for free. The last thing I want to do is pay for the pleasure of being made to feel small.

Ive had some good luck at 1star places. They know the margin for error is much smaller at a fine place, and they work like that. Service has been great, with the serving staff working in the background rather than trying to be part of the meal/conversation.

I looked this up, and apparently the only Michelin starred restaurants in the US are in San Fransisco, New York City, Chicago and D.C. Since I don't live in any of those places, nor do I have any desire to visit, I guess I won't be eating pretentious food anytime in the future.

That doesn't mean there aren't Michelin-quality restaurants in other parts of the country, Michelin just doesn't bother with restaurants outside those locations.

have been to quite a few 1, 2 and 3 star places around the world.

I'd advise going for a 2+ star place as they are not much more expensive than the 1 star ones but the experience is much better (higher quality, vastly more creative, etc.). Also always take the tasting menu and also take the wine accompaniment. Really adds to the experience.

Worth it in my opinion if you have the money to spare (500€+ for 2 persons)

way to be a cuck

>the joke
>your head

>hehe i was pretending to be a cuck

i worked at a 1 star place in edinburgh

i have also been to le gavroche, ducasse at the dorchester, the fat duck, dinner, st john, l'atelier du joel robuchon and yauatcha

at the end of the day you can get good food anywhere, but you're less likely to get tomato skins in your sauce if you go to a michelin starred place, and they refill your wine the second you put it down. i would definitely say most of the places on that list were overrated and stuffy. i find the service at the very highly starred places to be an uncomfortable combination of obsequious and arrogant.

all that said, fine dining is an art form and if you're interested in it you will get something out of going to these places. that's what i'm personally interested in, and why i go. i also really like old school super baller 70s style french fine dining traditions, like the cheese cart at le gavroche, and all the fucking bajillion ways they managed to squeeze foie into everything

Confirmed.

apparently it's a fast food chain in UK. forgive us americans for not knowing this off the top of our head. we'll work harder to expand our foreign fast food knowledge

>go to fancy restaurant
>atmosphere is totally "no fun allowed"
>menu has very few items
>food is ridiculously expensive
>portions are really small
>staff act like robots

Fuck that shit.

it's a fast food chain you pretty much only see at service stations.

I am American you passportless hick.

>IMG_0282.jpg
nevermind. just read that filename.

I live in San Francisco. Just never visited there.

>atmosphere is totally "no fun allowed"

what does that mean?

>staff act like robots

i don't think you have been to a fancy restaurant.

Well, I mean. Even McDonald's can afford to have a bit of a designated fun area at their restaurant. Why can't these places at least have slides or a swing set? Or, if they're going for the college crowd, maybe a pool table? I get bored waiting for the food to come out.

tell me about your experience at the fat duck. Is Blumenthal rad, or is it just pretentious nonsense?

it's super rad. you can scoff at him for being a flashy gimmicky bastard, but all his dishes are incredibly well conceived and engineered. when i first went they still had the a la carte menu and you had to order the tasting menu as a table, which my sister vetoed, so i didn't get to try the tasting menu. the second time i went we got the tasting menu and it was actually surprisingly divisive. the sound of the sea in particular actually made someone run outside to puke. it's not helped by the fact that the wine flight is ridiculous and everyone got insanely hammered.

the restaurant is small and well lit by comparison with a lot of other statusy sort of restaurants. has a very convivial atmosphere.

the thing about heston blumenthal is i think he doesn't try too hard to make 'arty' food, doesn't go in for the foraged thing, doesn't make you eat blood and guts and flowers like many modern popular restaurants do. doesn't put a leaf on a polished pebble and ask you to close your eyes and chew it for exactly fifteen minutes. most of the food at the fat duck is old school in the sense that it is indulgent comfort food. eating there is not an austere experience. you get your meat and potatoes, gravy, ice cream, puddings, all that shit. but you're also taken out of your comfort zone in ways that are up front and knowing about the weirdness. it is fun and doesn't feel pretentious at all. definitely one of the more worth it places out of the ones i listed. i toyed with applying to work there for a while but i just don't think i would enjoy working in a kitchen with like 40 other people.

I went to Tom Kerridge's place the Hand and Flowers. I was served this as a main course. I would have had more fun throwing the fucking thing at the fat cunt.

What is that?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA what the fuck?
How much was that?

It really is, and it's in the middle of nowhere even by Skye standards. Absolutely beautiful place though, so comfy and just generally pleasant.

Forgot to mention the prices, I was surprised at how reasonable it was. It was worth it without a doubt, didn't feel like I had paid for hype and memes.

If only there were some sort of way to identify a picture... like if only it had a title or a label or a.... file name?

About 30 odd quid I think. I could have cried.

Just looked, 36 fucking quid.

thehandandflowers.co.uk/menu/alacarte/mains/

Essex lamb bun.

yeah I sure do love some toy food

I've been to Alinea, Grace, Peter Luger, Corton & a few 2 stars in Tokyo, a Gaston Acurio restaurant in Peru, etc.

Worth every penny.

I was underwhelmed by Malabar in Lima though. Would have preferred to go to Amaz instead but it was booked solid.

The Japanese 1 star was Akasaka Tantai & the 2 star was Akasaka Kikunoi

>an moron.

>You will immediately cease and not continue to access the site if you are under the age of 18.

How was Alinea?

What did the courses consist of?

Same. My former friend popped my food nerd cherry and I managed to surpass him since my friends asks me for recommendations for his friends and exchange students who just come here.

Food isn't art.

I've been to a couple. The river café in London and a pub near me.

What struck me was that it wasn't anything any of us couldn't do at home with time and effort. It was more about the ingredients being fresher than those you normally find in restaurants. The price fairly reflected the time and effort that was put into the meals.

Can't believe no one has checked those quads yet. Enjoy the reservation at Dorsia, I'm sure you'll find the cuisine there much more to your liking. Remember, two at nine.

t. refined Cletus

Not Michelin Starred, but my wife and I ate at The Lamb's Club in NYC (Geoffrey Zakarian's restuarant). It was quite a different experience than we were used to. Everything from the service to the food to the wine were top-notch. And even though it cost a pretty penny, I'd definitely go there again.

Roy Yamaguchi's place in Waikiki isn't half bad either.

You must get that for free normally.

I've been to exactly one Michelin restaurant. I had some fried cow brain, breddy gud.

I want to just eat that in one bite the second it is put on the table just to see the waiter's reaction

Now that's what I call plating and not those awful skidmarks

I had this pulled pork "burger" in a restaurant with two michelin stars

>bottled ice tea
>at a Michelin restaurant

German autism strikes again

>that pic
Are you supposed to lick the plate after each bite to taste the sauces?

Looks like something I could get at Bachi Burger for $13 bucks.

No, you wipe up the sauce with a piece of the meat stuck on your fork.

I was at a loss for words
>i have an eating tool i can stick edible substances to
>lol better just lick the plate

You realize that Michelin stars don't necessarily mean "fine dining that costs half a grand", right?

This

Look up Tim Ho Wan

How much would a tasting menu at a starred restaurant typically cost? $50 a person? $100 a person? More? To me it sounds like diminishing returns as it gets pricier

Ahhhh, you're so fucking retarded I don't know where to begin. Definitely wondering why you browse Veeky Forums

>Chefs Table
Fav episode(s) anons?

That is not 2 michelin-starred, stop lying.

instagram.com/p/BNbKx_CDGsq/?taken-by=loam_galway

Went to this 1 star place once and got a tasting menu. Some of the best things I have ever tasted and the presentation was so nice.
Only course I didn't like was because it was based around a strong cheese and I don't like cheese.
Well worth it. Will definitely go again when I can afford to

it completely depends. up to 400 per person though

B A C K P E D A L I N G

The trolling in this thread is top notch, seriously. 5 star posts.

Been to Alinea, Eleven Madison Park, Le Bernardin, Masa, Jean-George, Per Se. Costs were anywhere from $400-$750pp.

Alinea, EMP, and Per Se were the only ones I felt were worth the money so take that how you like.

Masa was overpriced Bullshit
Le Bernardin was pretty damn good seafood, but crazily expensive
Jean George probably had the worst food of them all (it was still pretty good though)
Eleven Madison Park served the most delicious dish I've ever tasted in my life. Then they did it again for the next course. Getting to have the best thing you've ever eaten twice in one night was pretty magical. Service was out of this world as well
Per Se was pretty expensive, but fuck me if it wasn't a beautiful place that made you happy just to be there.
Alinea's food was probably the second worst in terms of flavour, but it was more an experience than dinner so I'll give it a pass

ate at the river cafe last night boys

tell me what you would've ordered

ive been to places with stars quite often, ive been disappointed at about half of the visits.
If its outstanding i dont mind paying a lot for it, most of my disappointments were cases in which the menu and ingredients suggest a very fine meal (foie gras,lobster,truffle,whatever) but the execution was lacking, i once even got a bad stomach problem after a meal like this.

Best experiences were at "Unterfahrt" in germany, freshly awarded 3 stars, and places in HongKong, because the value is just so good, had a starred meal for less than 15$

Trips

I would have left as soon as I saw the obnoxious typeface on the menu

and everyone thinks you're really cool for thinking that i promise

Pretty good, but it's time for you to travel abroad user.

Spaghetti and meatballs.

Sorry, if I have to slow down and read the menu like it's written in wingdings I can't be bothered. Anyone with typography experience would say that's borderline unreadable

>Anyone with typography experience would say that's borderline unreadable

if they did they'd be seriously hyperbolic, you don't need typography experience to be able to tell if something's legible you fucktard. i also think you most likely don't have any typography experience yourself.

It's an annoying font this I agree, but hardly illegible.

Also, linguine with sardines sounds nice.

I did the fine dining thing for a little while. My wife really liked it. But I kinda burned out on it. Or better put I burned out on paying for it. Dropping several hundred dollars on dinner for two just because you can is kind of novel at first, but it adds up really fast. When I looked back and realized how many thousands of dollars I spent dining out I decided I'd rather spend that money elsewhere.

That said here's what you get for your money:

Tastiness - the food at really upscale places is really tasty. The chef put a lot of thought into each dish, and even if one or two miss the mark most of them will be very tasty.

Service - Part of what you're paying for is staff who give a shit about you having a great experience there. You will feel welcomed and taken care of, and most of the time the meal will be seamless.

Aesthetics - Not just the plating, but the dining room and every other detail is carefully styled to evoke a specific vibe. The goal is to make you feel like you're someone special eating in a place that has its own identity.

My issue became that while I appreciate service and aesthetics I don't feel like paying such a premium for it. And as far as tastiness goes I know plenty of places where I can get food just as tasty (just not as pretty or trendy) for a fraction of the price if I'm willing to forgo high end service and aesthetics. Those are the places I go to most of the time now.

>I think you're stupid but I won't bother to explain myself :) :)

Kill yourself sweetie :)

Jesus fuck you're an arrogant shit cock

If you must use a handwritten typeface, you should only use it for a kids menu you mongoloid

Not Michelin starred but I went to Nobu New York. It was underwhelming and didn't live up to the hype.

you just told me you had the authority to proclaim something unreadable despite the fact that i can easily read it, you don't get to call me arrogant

oh ok i'll chisel that into a tablet and take it down the mountain ASAP, thanks yhwh