Who are the most powerful beings in the Lovecraftian universe? Are any of them benevolent...

Who are the most powerful beings in the Lovecraftian universe? Are any of them benevolent? Or are they all either malevolent or apathetic?

>>>/reddit/

Nice meme, bro.

this guy.

Just started reading him today. It's tough reading his prose because it's so old school.

Azathoth is biggest baddest thingy in there. It sleeps, if it wakes up we all die, other big mosters try to keep it asleep. Now back to /reddit.

Azathoth is pretty much the strongest there is. He's like God except he created the universe in his slee.

Also Nyarlathotep can be benevolent when the mood strikes him.

>Now back to /reddit
Nice meme, bro

Elder God Demonbane

If you actually consider Lovecraft difficult in any way then I doubt you read enough literature to justify your being on this board.

This is either a meme or this board has significantly less integrity than I thought, every Lovecraft thread has people spouting this shit.

Lovecrafts prose isn't archaic thick or difficult. It's bad, guys. That's why you're having trouble reading it. He's a bad writer and his stories are all overlong accounts of a totally spoopy monster. Read the wikipedia summeries if you really wanna know about how many eyes and limbs they each have and then move on to something that could be considered literature.

Azazoth is the closest thing there is to a God-like figure

This. It's popular because spoopy, not because he was a skilled writer. It's like abstract art: basically shitty, but sometimes it can grab you.

yeah it sucks when you have to stop and keep looking up big words. didn't have this problem with ernest hemingway, didja?

These. Shadown Over Innsmouth, one of his most circlejerked story, describes Innsmouth's structure in a very barebones manner that made me reread a few sentences.

it's almost as if you people are trying to sound retarded.

>"There was once a road over the hills and through the valleys, that ran straight where the blasted heath is now; but people ceased to use it and a new road was laid curving far toward the south. Traces of the old one can still be found amidst the weeds of a returning wilderness, and some of them will doubtless linger even when half the hollows are flooded for the new reservoir. Then the dark woods will be cut down and the blasted heath will slumber far below blue waters whose surface will mirror the sky and ripple in the sun. And the secrets of the strange days will be one with the deep’s secrets; one with the hidden lore of old ocean, and all the mystery of primal earth."

From Color out of Space, the entire work reads like this.

The only challenge to the reader is continuing despite the overuse of shitty adjectives.

it's like it's written to be an audiobook as when it is spoken it actually sounds amazing than if it were more (or less) complicated

>it's like abstract art
You have no idea what you're talking about.

>It's like abstract art: basically shitty, but sometimes it can grab you.
Ugh this board is worse than /mu/

Nice arguments.

This. Dagon was the perhaps the worst short story I've ever read.

I'd rather read Veeky Forums's write threads than ever encounter anything similar to that again.

Nobody's arguing, we're both in agreement that you're an idiot.

I think he wrote in the same manner he talked, it reads kinda weird but it sounds rather nice if read at loud.

this.

>what are context clues
it's like people really need to be spoonfed

Lovecrafts prose is quite unique, it's hit or miss with the reader. It sometimes has great elegance, and even simple sentences convey a powerful image. Just my opinion, but if you were trying to convince anyone you would have to formulate your criticism in more literaryy terms.

>his stories are all overlong accounts of a totally spoopy monster

Holy... i want more....

>bad prose is like abstract art

McFucking Kill Yourself

Let's be frank, abstract art has its merits. Some of humanity's best art is abstract.

It's just mostly shit.

But you can't even hold that against abstract art, most of art that goes for aesthetics is deviantart level shit.

The only real bad thing about abstract art is how the ratio of people who pretend to like abstract art to people who get it is ridiculously high.

Relevant.

ITT: People who got burned by The Mountains of Madness

Erich Zann for example is an absolute masterpiece of horror, on the level of Poe or Hoffmann, that has no monster appearing in it.

>ITT: People who got burned by The Mountains of Madness
Guillermo del Toro is here?

>ITT: People who got burned by The Mountains of Madness
I liked The Mountains of Madness

agreed

>It's just mostly shit.

this is such a stupid fucking argument

guess what: most of every movement was shit. you're just not confronted with most of the shitty stuff, because it's obscure, for a good reason. with abstract art that's different, sometimes a "bad" painting will garner too much praise..

..like the Mona Lisa did. oh wait, that's not even abstract art.