Explain to me how/why/the extent to which a computer science degree becomes difficult

Explain to me how/why/the extent to which a computer science degree becomes difficult.

Other urls found in this thread:

thebestcolleges.org/top-10-easiest-and-hardest-college-degree-majors/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

@8661651
Your question makes no sense, idiot. Here's the tierlist, from hardest to easiest:
> MATHEMATICS
> PHYSICS
> ENGINEERING PHYSICS
> APPLIED PHYSICS
> APPLIED MATHEMATICS
> CHEMISTRY
> BIOLOGY
> EXERCISE SCIENCE
> computer science and it

Try harder, obvious bait is obvious

To be clear though, in case you're actually THAT autismal, im not saying compsci is difficult nor did i ever mention/compare those other subjects. I want to hear from someone who has experience with the comp sci major, or at the very least, is not an uneducated bafoon. Good day sir.

>@8661651

To clarify, i want to understand the difficulty and complexity to which such a degree will go. In other words, compared to the basics one learns in their first cs class, how would completing the major be? Thanks to anybody willing to give insight on this.

if you're smart enough to solve moderately complex math and logic problems, writing the code never gets too bad, 99% of the stress is related to debugging it, you'll spend hours at a time reevaluating your syntax and logic under the impression that it's flawless until you finally find some stupid little mistake that fucked up the whole system
as you get into higher classes the homework becomes more complex, and finding these bugs becomes a nightmare

Okay so when you first start CS you will invariably learn your first programming language. This will be a whole new world for you. And you might be good at it too. Don't let that get to your head.

Afterwards you will start learning some math and proof, this is largely ceremonial since most CS majors will never need to prove anything.

Then you will learn CS topics, algorithms, OS, etc. This should be the most interesting part, if you find that you hate this part you really didn't want to be in CS anyways.

Now if you're not normie tier, then you will have paid attention and put in the work to get good at math, then you can go to a good grad school where you will essentially do nothing but math.

I'm a theory guy, so I'm not sure about systems research but I think they probably do a lot of math as well.

A weak mind such as yourself should listen to my story and take notes

Couple weeks into calculus 1 now, doing well, already past the chain rule and beyond. Quotient rule was a joke. Product rule remains my specialty.

I ask my professor his thoughts on quantum mechanics and partial derivatives. He's impressed i know about the subject. We converse after class for some time, sharing mathematical insights; i can keep up. He tells me of great things ahead like series and laplacians. I tell him i already read about series on wikipedia. He is yet again impressed at my enthusiasm. What a joy it is to have your professor visibly brighten when he learns of your talents.

And now I sit here wondering what it must be like to be a brainlet, unable to engage your professor as an intellectual peer.

All of the deep conversations you people must miss out on because you aren't able to overcome the intellectual IQ barrier that stands in the way of your academic success... it's so sad.

My professor and I know each other on first name basis now, but i call him Dr. out of respect.

And yet here you brainlets sit, probably havent even made eye contact with yours out of fear that they will gauge your brainlet IQ levels.

A true shame, but just know it is because i was born special that i am special. I can't help being a genius, nor can my professor.

Two of a kind is two flocks in a bush.

thanks for the replies

this sounds pretty accurate... I've only taken one class in which we actually coded anything, and it was pretty much what you said. I'm good at math and logic, syntax is the only thing that trips me up. just gotta get used to it.

wow sounds like math plays a bigger role than i thought? so i've finished calculus with As in all classes. What i have left before transferring is linear algebra and differentials but i think i'll be ok, i kinda like math anyways :) By the way, do you think grad school makes a big difference? I'm interested in the degree largely because it seems like something which could lead to many freelance opportunities ie working on my own time. Anyways, i figure that learning comp sci in school is in part important because of the degree proving i know stuff, but its more about actually just learning what i can do and how to do it. I'm curious about grad school.

You actually wrote code for your CS degree? What???

I think it depends on the school OP; however, the biggest challenges were artificially created by the professor. The professors are literally scolded if they don't have nice grade distributions.

If you watch some of the videos uploaded by MIT, Carnegie Mellon, Stanford, etc., you might get the impression that the material is a walk in the park.

You would be correct, but then, when you would see some of the exams that count for half or a third of your grade and have only 3-6 questions on it, you will shed a small tear.

If you are setting the curve, that tear will be a tear of joy knowing that everyone will hate you in a week or two. If you are not setting the curve, that will be a tear in honor of all the tuition you will lose as you flunk out of college.

>computer science degree becomes difficult

Hmm

Well, I'm a Junior in a CS major.

I like to think of the structure of learning CS as a system of pipes.

In current year, you start by learning about the regular old pipe. That pipe could be any brand but it will normally be by this company called Oracle.

So you learn straight pipes, angled pipes, ways to get input from OTHER systems of pipes, how to make your pipes differentiate between the materials that flow through them (types) and stuff like that.

Once you have the basics down, you start working with bigger systems. You know how pipes work so why keep relearning them? Now you're working with larger systems of pipes with more moving parts, you need to combine these systems with your existing knowledge of piping and the documentation of those systems provided to you. This is where you'll learn about "industry standards" (programming conventions) and the "layouts" (data structures).

After you have a good grasp of those larger concepts, you will either A. choose a specialization (I'll get to that) or B. focus on the little things.

So, the little things. Remember those things called types? Those different liquids that pass through pipes? Well this is where you learn that all those things are really just water, they only have meaning based on what we want them to be. Here is where you'll be metalworking and building a pipe from the ground up. It won't be pretty, but you'll learn about individual pipes and how to better manipulate them, fudge a pipe here or there to save time or meet a deadline. More than that though, you'll gain a real appreciation for those guys back in the 80s who had to be building pipe systems all the time.

Finally, you specialize. That's where I am now. You choose a specific reason to be doing piping. That reason could be:

Maintaining a business's piping.
Making a piping game (couldn't come up with a better metaphor)
Piping networks
Crypto Piping
Security Piping
Piping teacher

After you learn your specialization, you get your piping certifications and go get a cushy 70k+ a year job.

Not sure if autism or just a joke...

In any case, i don't know about the rest of these anons (although i have faith that you give them too little credit, if you are indeed the autist i believe you to be), but I'm not akin to your post... granted, I'm not in the comp sci world yet but as far as calculus goes, i did very well (all As in every class). The only B i got so far in college is in the second physics course, and i'll admit the professor and I weren't really talkative but she was just awkward... all other classes I've gotten As and a majority of those classes I've been close enough with my professors that they constantly bug me about letters of rec and such. You must be joking with all this lol but i figured I should humor your effort. Sounds very silly...
>My professor and I know each other on first name basis now, but i call him Dr. out of respect.
>A true shame, but just know it is because i was born special that i am special. I can't help being a genius, nor can my professor.
>Couple weeks into calculus 1 now, doing well, already past the chain rule and beyond. Quotient rule was a joke. Product rule remains my specialty.

not to mention you used quantum mechanics and partials as the things that make you superior lol thats not impressive at all

you got the attention you wanted, so you can leave now (you're welcome)

The fuck are you even talking about?

Seriously, what are you even replying to? This is a fucking non-sequitur.

Is it just a general insult? Why not make that its own thread?

>greentexts me
>implying comp sci isn't difficult compared to....
>ohmydays.gif
>picrelated is some sissy ass intro bullshit lolgtfo

Math, like Linear Algebra and Discrete Mathematics, helps you think about Computer Science problems 'better'. The math from them directly applies to many of the applications and problem solving strategies in comp sci.

For Example:
Linear Algebra -> Computer Graphics
Discrete Math -> System Modeling

Op loves your analogy
piping game top kek
thanks for the input fellow user, keep on pipin

Does grad school make a difference? I'm not sure what you mean.

In terms of income, then yes grad school tends to be a net loss if you get an expensive masters and definitely if you get a PhD over bachelors.

In terms of content, it's a whole different game. Things start to really get interesting when the professors don't have to hold your hand and can talk about what they've devoted their lives to researching.

it isn't

t. CS major

>not sure if autism...

>proceeds to reply seriously to a well known copypasta and talks about letters of reccomendation
>looool

>Thinking Chem is easiest, when it compiles most other sciences

Nice try nigger

>BS in Pure Chem

here is the actual list

> PHYSICS
> MATHEMATICS
> ENGINEERING PHYSICS
> APPLIED PHYSICS
> APPLIED MATHEMATICS
> CHEMISTRY
> BIOLOGY