What's the right way to cook pieces of salmon shaped like this, i.e. thick as fuck?

What's the right way to cook pieces of salmon shaped like this, i.e. thick as fuck?

It would take like twenty minutes to cook through to the middle in a pan, so I've been crisping the skin in a hot pan then moving it to a gentler oven. Results taste great, but aren't that attractive to look at. Is there something more obvious to do?

Yeah, try being patient this isn't a McDonalds

>Take a sheet of aluminium foil large enough for to make a little house for your salmon
>lay it out flat on counter
>lay asparagus bed on top of foil
>Lightly drizzle with garlic and olive oil
>lay salmon on top of asparagus and season with desired options (I just do garlic and herb rub with olive oil)
>fold foil over top of salmon so you have a little box
>put in oven for 30 minutes at 375 degrees
>when done, you can eat right out of foil

Wala

Ovenproof dish. Salmon. Extra virgin olive oil. Lemon. Garlic. Salt. Pepper. Grated Parmesan. 180 degrees celcius. Cook until fish changes color from orange to pink. Do not overcook it.

I prefer to do this with parchment paper.

Less chance of catching dementia from the foil.

Okay, well I actually invented this technique so you can fuck off with your pathetic Veeky Forums larping

Don't tell m me what to do you shit.

hot pan with oil, keep salmon skinside down for 5 minutes on medium heat, flip it for 20 sec then back to skinside, give it 2 tablespoons of butter and base the salmon with it for another 2-3 minutes

put them in a vaccum bag, sous vide for an hour.
put soy+chili sauce on them, cook the outside with an oven
and you're done

Make some cut on the skin side before cooking.

What to eat with salmon?

Poach in white wine

Add lemon juice to the asparagus and lemon zest to the fish, and serve with fresh lemon. Citrus makes everything better.

12-15 minutes at 400 with the convection fan on

>Make blackening seasoning
>Salt salmon
>Hot as piss oil (near smoking) in a nonstick pan, teflon/ceramic. Cast iron works too I guess.
>Sear the salmon till near blackened, reduce heat, flip salmon and alow it to cook to desired doneness(medium is ideal)
>In another pan cook off squash, pepper, and other veggies in white wine
>Add quinoa to veggies
>Add a good bit of simple syrup and a dash of salt to quinoa
>Reduce until tight
>Serve salmon over quinoa
>gitgud

doesn't blackened just mean burned?

put the salmon on a plank of cedar and BBQ it

>Heat pan with oil. Once it's almost smoking, place salmon filets skin side down about 4 minutes.
>flip
>4 more minutes
>it's done

or

>cook until flakes easily with a fork

>it would take like twenty minutes to cook through to the middle in a pan
No.

It's not hard to cook filets of salmon from frozen bags of Wal-Mart salmon at all you fucking retard.

I like to sear the flesh side and then turn and throw in an oven. I don't eat the skin anyway. The crispy salmon flesh is the best. Maillard that shit just like chicken, pork, or a steak.

Skin on: Pan fry
Skin off: Bake 450F for 15 minutes

It does not at all. Obviously some dunces will burn it trying, but properly blackened red fish is not suppose to be burnt

i remember reading an archie comic where jughead was burning the shit out of some beef so he could make it "cajun style", but then archie told him that blackened meat is made by rubbing pepper and spices on the meat, not torching it

that was during a weird period when they made story arcs about sunscreen and hooligans destroying public property

>20 minutes

Fuck no. Cook that shit like a steak.

>skin on, remove scales
>salt skin and let sit while it Sucks water from the skin. (helps it crisp)
>dab with paper towel
>season flesh side
>place in lightly oiled cast iron (HOT) skin side down
>cover loose with foil and wait 2 minuted
>flip and cook a minute and a half
>flip one more time if you desire and cook another minute (keep foil on when not flipping)
>delicious medium rare salmon with Crispy skin.
>kill yourself for ever considering cooking for 20 minutes

>Bring up to temp
>Season skin
>Reasonably large pan
>PAN NICE AND HOT
>Bit of standard veg oil
>Fry skin side down, drop a bit of lemon juice in
>Cover with a small bowl, this lets the top and sides steam through
>After its basically cooked, remove bowl
>Season top and flip to crispen up
>Serve

Remember it should be just cooked, not well done.

> eating raw salmon

Enjoy your worms.

score the skin

>doesn't eat sushi

wat nigga

>eating dry salmon that flakes like the paint in an old barn

It's good to know that there are a still people like you on Veeky Forums to laugh at.

Are still*

I'm an executive chef. 12 minutes in a 500 degree oven

Get a little bit of oil (little because it's fatty) in the pan, then put it skin side down until 3/4 through, and flip for a short time afterwards.

Salt and pepper beforehand. Serious eats did a good piece, I'd follow that one over ATK.

didn't read the thread but I'd just straight bake that hoe no searing

The correct way to cook a thick steak made of any meat is the reverse sear.

I'd say higher temp and lower time, but i'm sure that turns out fine too.

easy stuff?
green beans
rice & beans
asparagus

what's one of those little ovens run?

>hot as piss oil
>non stick pan

Everyone should look into the cuisinart CSO-300 combo steam convection toaster oven...

It is the best.

thanks. you answered my question but I think that costs more than my regular oven/broiler so maybe i'll wait until I redo my kitchen..