So why dont we talk about these women in physics classes

we talk about Newton and Einstein

but not these women?

Their work was relevant in only a very narrow field and single project, unlike generic observations and truths applying through all physics.

Pic related is one of the females the film is about. She wrote a pretty decent control program, and she wasn't white only on paper.

wasn't their work on the level of Einstein's General Relativity

They were human calculators a a time when electronic computers were not yet a thing that could always be used.

Their story is an interesting part of the overall story of the Space Race, but of course because they were Sassy Black Women (tm), at the moment there is a tendency to over-state what they actually did. This is unfortunate -- it undermines the story of what they ACTUALLY did, which was important work that needed doing.

Not even nearly. If I remember correctly, Margaret Hamilton leaded the team that wrote the control program, that basically allowed the whole spaceship to operate and not crash, because some of the other code it managed malfunctioned. The program her team wrote was purely a scheduling software, ensuring that more important tasks get CPU priority, while the less critical ones can be postponed or skipped. That's basically all they have done.

I'm not sure, but I think the two other females were just part of her team. All of them have been hired in some diversity programme for non-white females. Hamilton was 1/8th black or something like that.

Huh? The film did not have Margaret Hamilton in it and her work was decades after the movie takes place.

Because none of them hold a candle to Noether's work.

Oh, you are right. I haven't seen the movie, just ran into some names while it have been discussed somewhere, and Hamilton's work seemed most impressive. I must have mixed some of them up.

So yeah, is correct about them.

If you look at her Wikipage, you can see that the movie took SERIOUS liberties with regards to her appearances. She's literally at least 40-60% white IRL.

However, you are wrong about it being decades later. The film takes place in 1961 and is about Project Mercury.
Margaret Hamilton wrote the program in 1966, for Apollo 11, the same project that Katherine worked on.

>So why dont we talk about these women in physics classes

They didn't do any work in physics? That I know of, anyway. They did some work in calculating trajectories for early NASA flights. Good for them, if you take a class studying the early NASA years, they should indeed be mentioned as being a part of the story.

Has anyboidy read the book "Hidden Figures?" Does it tell the story pretty straight, or does it overstate their work and experiences for a more acceptable political narrative.

If the later, has anybody read any of the other books that cover their work?

Because Newton and Einstein completely revolutionized Physics?

>The program her team wrote was purely a scheduling software, ensuring that more important tasks get CPU priority, while the less critical ones can be postponed or skipped. That's basically all they have done.

I mean, that's not Einstein-level, but I think you're unintentionally downplaying how hard this actually is to get right.

everything is hard to a brainlet.

it must be because of the patriarchy
darn that patriarchy
let's have another riot funded by George Soros

this thread belongs in /pol/

See

>Their story is an interesting part of the overall story of the Space Race

Is it? Or is it only interesting because of their race? How many people made greater contributions to the project but are essentially unknown?

Only women and minorities. All other big contributors are basically national heroes.

are you serious

If you want me to be.

Male ego is very fragile. Women can bring children onto this earth and man can't. It's obvious males have an insecurity and inferiority complex over this.

>Women can bring children onto this earth and man can't.
Lets see a woman do that without men.

A discussion of their work and how much attention it deserves belongs here. Ifyou just want to post "SJW WOMYN NODGERS HUR,"then yes that would belong on /pol/.

This NASA human calculators film thread is weak bait desu. A Watson/Crick/Franklin/DNA structure elucidation thread however, is a thread I'd like to see.

>Is it?

Yes. Though that is subjective, if it doesn't interest you then it is not interesting to you.

>Or is it only interesting because of their race?

Their race and gender would make it interesting to some folks, obviously. I think the idea of using human computers in the early days of spaceflight is interesting, whoever they were.

>How many people made greater contributions to the project but are essentially unknown?

If they are unknown, that would be hard to answer. Their stories would be worth knowing, though, if the topic interests you. Interestingness is not in finite supply -- it would not make their story les interesting if somebody else was interesting too.

More than the once...

>Franklin did not get a Nobel Prize! Sexism everwhere!
>Oh wait, she was dead and the Nobel cannot be awarded to somebody not then living.
>It's fucking nothing.

But I agree,a thread about the unraveling of how DNA is structured would be fun. Go start one?

It wasn't mostly about the nobel prize, but rather in the apparent smugness of watson and crick about it, and accusations of them stealing franklin's data

What are you doing right now?