Anyone doing it? tips? how bad of a time am I in for? how much prep did you guys do?

anyone doing it? tips? how bad of a time am I in for? how much prep did you guys do?

let's talk about this hellish ordeal

I forgot this was a thing. I might try it this year, but ignore the word limit.

I came fifth last year. Plagiarize someone more talented than you desu

wait fifth? There's placements?

go to write ins or the online word sprints. they help word count a lot.

I've done it twice before but I'm homeless this year so I probably won't.

>You write your novel or project using your own materials: on your preferred word-processing program, by hand, by typewriter, etc.
>You can update your word count by entering your total cumulative count in the field on the top of your screen and hitting “Update.”

Isn't this just ridiculously easy to cheat on? Just write your novel in advance, copypaste it in the service on November 20 and brag to everybody.

I think the point is to actually produce something, not just extend your e-penis.

top kek

What is it?

>how do i internet
kys

If you really believe that, you're either naive as all hell or genuinely retarded. It's all about feeling like le ebin nobelisht and circlejerking about your "accomplishments" with your equally vapid """""friends""""".

It's entirely for pseuds who'll never write anything worthwhile.

beaautiful painting~~

> join in with a bunch of nerdy college girls, beta men with dead end jobs, and wino housewives as they all churn out 5th rate imitations of Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, cheap erotica and John Green in only one month!
> write 50,000 words in the time it takes the above groups to read 5,000 words!
> Be one of the thousands who will produce a novel that is far worse than a first draft and that nobody, especially not anyone else doing the challenge, will ever read!
> PRIZES! You win your name on a website!

there there
there there

No one could possibly put it any better

I'm not defending the event or the people who participate in it. I'm just saying cheating at it to inflate your e-peen would be pointless. Why does that make me naive or retarded?

Because the whole thing is first and foremost about inflating your e-peen no matter how you do it.

Exactly. If you actually wanted to improve as a writer, or pump out a novel, you wouldn't wait until November to write. Go on the Nanowrimo forums; the people there only want fame, and most of their ideas are based on movies or TV or videogames, things they're too lazy to learn how to make, so they decide they want to be a writer instead.

It kinda speaks volumes how the website itself is designed to support the social aspect first, and actually sharing your work and progress is like a half-assed afterthought.

It's like you're invited to a race, where the supervisors all fuck off to a pub and say they'll come back in an hour with the press to ask if you ran the 50000 laps. What the fuck do you think I'm going to do?

> join in with a bunch of nerdy college girls, beta men with dead end jobs, and wino housewives as they all churn out 5th rate imitations of Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, cheap erotica and John Green in only 8 years!
>write 100,000 words in the time it takes actual authors to write 500,000 words!
> Be one of the thousands who will produce a novel that is far worse than a first draft and that nobody, especially not anyone else who's wasted their lives expecting more than a page from you, will ever read!
>PRIZES! Your manuscript will never leave its desk drawer because it's in a permanent state of revision!

I think it's useful because it focuses you on one project for a very short period of time - but overall, the social side - which they really hype up - is useless.

Still, I'd say it's a fun challenge - it's only a month after all. A shame that Veeky Forums doesn't really get involved (writing what I'm sure nanowrimo would call "lit fic." Fuck's sake).

this desu

I don't really see the difference between writing a novel and participating in a challenge to write a novel.

I think nanowrimo is a good exercise if you're looking into writing, it'll only take up a month and by then you should understand if writing novels is something you want to be doing.

nanowrimo shill please leave to your echo chamber of PC retards

I've written a 115k word novel in a few months. """"""""""""Actual"""""""""""" authors sometimes take years to do less than that. Revision takes as long as you want it to unless you're autistic unless you got memed by literary agents into thinking everything needs to be revised 20 times before it's presentable.

Protip: Ignore 90% of what agents say, they don't know shit.

The difference between doing it on your own and "participating in a challenge" is that you can go as far with the idea as you possibly can instead of trying to shit it out in a month because a "challenge" said you should. You won't actually understand what the writing process is like if nanowrimo is your only experience with it because it's just a dumb game for kids who think they're "nerdy".

Here's your misstep:
>what the writing process is like

Different people have different processes. What "is" is different for everyone, and for some people (chronic procrastinators, ie Veeky Forums's entire userbase) shitting it out might be just what they need. It's not an argument of "you can either write 50,000 words in a month or in 12 months," it's "you can write 50,000 words in a month or you can let your procrastination get the better of you and never write anything at all, like you've been doing."

You've gotten so ridiculously preoccupied with status and method that you're willing to discard a perfectly valid form of writing because you have judged it a dumb game for kids. That's pure ideology you're licking up off the floor. That's intellectual poison. You're doing yourself no favors by being so smallminded.

Other way around, hombre. You've gotten so memed by the idea of egalitarianism that you can't recognize things as worthless when you need to. Discarding the excess is the key to getting anything done.

I don't judge whether things are worthless without having experienced them or taking tips from experts who know a thing or two about the subject in question. You're making it difficult to believe you know much about anything, considering your impressively prejudiced statements thus far without much at all to back them up, but then one supposes that goes with the territory and with small minds.

Again, you excrete statements like "worthless" or "the excess" as if they have any meaning at all. One could, for instance, say that your entire life is worthless and should have been discarded. Then again, someone else might disagree. That's the interesting part: You can take 3, 5, 8, 10, 20 years to write your book, and others can take 30 days, or 60 days, or 100 days. The field is open.

>gotten

Leave Veeky Forums and never darken its door again.

I didn't realize there was an actual organization. I thought it was just something people did. Not that you actually updated things.

I won't deny it's a fun challenge. But it's also a challenge anyone can set up for themselves, at any time. Hell, we could organize our own Veeky Forums novel-writing month.

Maybe the "official" context will inspire and motivate some people, but I'm pretty sure they're in the minority. To most, it's all about the romance of telling everyone you're -writing a novel-

Is it any coincidence at all that Nano and nofap are the same months? reddit wanted to get laid.

Plens, everynone.

At least actually accomplished something.

These participants aren't actually planning to just publish the book, they're going to let it sit for a while then begin new drafts.

Nano is one of the few things that has gotten me out of the house. You can actually meet live, breathing people if you go to meet ups and most of them are dorks too. So there's that, I guess. And as others have said, it is fun even whether you take it seriously or not.

Someone made a discord chanel for this about a month ago, on mobile so I'm not sure how to post it.

You'd think so, then you read the forums.

How the fuck is gotten worse than "so memed"

>meet people

Holy shit
Holy shit
There are people?
Fuck I'm glad I didn't do this.