To other anons, what are some of the dumbest things/coworkers you've seen while working at a restaurant?

To other anons, what are some of the dumbest things/coworkers you've seen while working at a restaurant?

Co-worker once made a thread on Veeky Forums about dumb shit that happens in restaurants with a squidward from sponge bob thumbnail.

He didn't realize that all restaurant establishment employees are drunk drug addicts who suffer from some form of depression and often do things that are not within their will to control.

Dumbest shit I've ever seen.

Wow this thread got real really fast

>Idiot child absentmindedly cratching his head with a spoon he was about to stir some artichoke dip with before serving it

>Different idiot dropping a whole pot of marinara on the floor, permanently dying one of his shoes red (the Mexicans called him "zabato rojo" after that)

>Yet another idiot not realizing that they replaced the walk-in door that wouldn't latch with one that did. He thought he was locked in the cooler and kicked the door open, breaking the brand-new latch instead of pushing the giant glow-in-the-dark orange button that was labeled "push to open"

I could go on and on

This

When I was working at McDonald's through college, I watched a kid in highschool dip his hand in the oil fryer to get something out instead of using the tongs that were right next to him.

This same kid also made himself vomit by putting every type of sauce and condiment possible on a sandwhich before eating half of it.

I swear to god he had room temperature IQ

Everything, 90% of my coworkers are either from high school, dropping acid, or doing heroine deals and shooting up in the bathroom and then my dumbass coworker looks at the syringe and pokes himself with it because 'it might be fun'

The smart ones are either in their late 30s or out of college trying to build up money for their cert so they go into IT and hate themselves even more because at least the restaurant business keeps you active and healthy while giving you social skills FUCK MY LIFE

>trashy pregnant bitch gets hired
>doesn't want the baby so goes to the bars and gets drunk every night and smokes like a chimney (ends up just leaving the, likely brain damaged, baby at the hospital after she gives birth)
>manager is (non-meme) straight edge catholic athlete bro only working there to pay bills while going to medical school
>fucking hates her guts and makes her do all the hard work and heavy lifting
>bitch actually tries to use the "but I'm pregnant" excuse

Actual weak-willed turbofaggot bitchboys. I highly recommend killing yourself.

Yeah, but what's your drug?

:(

>>doesn't want the baby so goes to the bars and gets drunk every night and smokes like a chimney (ends up just leaving the, likely brain damaged, baby at the hospital after she gives birth)

damn
that just bums me out...

>the Mexicans called him "zabato rojo" after that

Fucking hilarious, I miss working with Mexican cooks and their prime ball busting

when i worked at five guys i saw one guy who assembled the toppings then proceeded to wrap the sandwich without it having a patty.

I used to work in corporate for an arcade/bar/restaurant company, like Dave & Busters, and we were opening our new flagship location...

>Put regional manager in charge of the place
>He's never worked in entertainment, just food
>Hires a chef to make the place a "gastropub"
>Guy custom creates his own menu
>Only one kind of hamburger
>No chicken wings, pizzas, hot dogs, kind of shit kids or people with their kids would like
>Artisan flatbreads
>Three fish entrees
>$22 handmade crab cake appetizer

I mean, the shit was good, but the look on people's faces when they sat down to order their little shit some tendies and honey mustard was priceless.

Dude got fired like 3 weeks in.

That story was not cool all around. Opening pious religious individuals, who are openly a bad person are the worst. Fuck her for making poor choices but seriously fuck that guy for directly encouraging her to a stillbirth.

Before I got made regional manager, I had to spend my spare time on the floor to gauge quality control. Biggest thing that was so fucking common was idiots leaving their headsets on and then talking shit about the person that just ordered. I don't don't know how many times in my life that I screamed "guys they can hear you". I'd always make them explain their comments and I'd handle the refund/comped items.

Nothing, which is why I question why I'm here. It's probably flirting with coworkers but not fucking them.

My drug is apparently cucking myself

I moved on from food service, partially because of the wages, and partially because of the idiots.

One such idiot was the bane of my existence for a solid 6 months. I tried desperately to get the go-ahead to can him before his stupidity hurt or killed someone.

One day he dropped tongs into the deep fryer and went to reach in. I caught him rolling up his sleeves, and screamed at him to use the other tongs. He still went for it, thankfully I was close enough by then to grab him.

He also tried to serve nearly raw chicken after being told not only how to cook it, and how to check it, but that I would fire his ass from this job, and find him at his next and fire him there if he brought that chicken anywhere near the plate before it was done.

Sure enough, he put it on a plate. I got someone else to cook it through, got the plate re-set, and fired his ass on the spot. I went down to "part time" for a month so I could be a sous-chef at the restaurant he moved to, and at 85 days of his trial period, I canned the dangerously stupid motherfucker a second time. I kept both jobs for a bit, working about 90-100h a week for about six months.

special order

You're a dick, user.

Had a Mormon coworker tell a customer that Jesus could heal some injury she had, a scrape or a burn or something. GM went apeshit on him.
This was a Taco Bell, btw.

When I was """training""" as a cook at the restaurant I used to work at, I was told that the trick to making alfredo sauce was high heat for a short amount of time.

This didn't seem right and I accidentally, individually discovered that low heat and longer cooking times resulted in a much better sauce. This was later reinforced by the owner's missus telling me the same thing.

In my time there, I received many compliments on my alfredo sauce.

The other peoples' sauces were always very runny and tasted largely of cream.

Yeah, but he's our dick.

I had a guy work with me who we called Captain Slow, for some reason caesar salads were his nemesis and took him like 20 mins to finish one. Once we had a order for 24 people, out of which 5 caesars, now he was supposed to prep plates at his setting then bring it to me to finish with meat and sauces and sides on the grill section (josper), and that was mostly a bit of salad for steaks and burger bun with some sauce and salad, nothing more. But it took him so long to make those caesars I did all the other plates, cook the food and send it out and then I went to give him a hand to finish the goddamn salads. Other than being slower than a wounded snail he was an ok guy.

I warned him. Oh god did I warn him. My coworkers were apparently afraid for his safety. I was afraid for everyone else's.

>meth head didn't get his fix, fell asleep in front of the pizza oven with the paddle in his hand, burnt 8 pizzas
>mind you the pizza line is right in the dining room so every customer can see this obvious drug addict sleeping standing up in front of a 700 degree fire

Our sous chef nodded off in the middle of a shift.

We were opening up another restaurant down the street and before it even opened, the exec chef we hired there marched down to our restaurant with the police announcing she was quitting and demanded her last paycheck. It was absurd. That bitch was crazy.

This one sticks out in my head because it was particularly strange.
>be me, one of my first days working at little caesars
>closing for the first time
>sweeping floor with push broom before getting smaller broom to sweep under oven and shit
>black co worker comes up to me and asks what I'm doing
>tell him I'm sweeping
>he tells me that what I am using is not a broom
>wtf
>ask him what it is used for
>he says "something else"
>he takes push broom from me and brings me broken little shitty broom used for sweeping in small crannies and crevices
>has me sweep whole floor with this broom

co-worker promised to keep working for another month but quit the job on a very short notice, literally days before going. it was only an oral "contract" so our chef couldn't do anything about it but he told him he'd sue the shit out of him just to fuck with him.
I was later told that my co-worker walked the entire afternoon, during which he was alone in our pizza kitchen, in circles, talking to himself that nobody could fuck with him.

i work at a local co-op kinda grocery store, but we have a kitchen in it. we mostly do big orders so it's closer to catering, like cooking salads, pastas, meats, and food for the hot bar/to-go hot foods section. we process a lot of food per day and most of it is organic and expensive, so instead of just tossing it our store donates our leftover hotbar or shrink to the foodbanks

we kinda snack out of the shrink sometimes, we donate as a store about 2k worth of product a day, so one little box of brownies isn't a huge deal in the long run. but i had a coworker who reached in, grabbed one of our eclairs, took a bite, made an 'ick' face and then repackaged it and put it back in. what the fuck? what poor person wants to get your bite marks on their food? why not just throw it away or give it to someone else? or cut off the part where you bit it?

i also see a lot of 'oops, i dropped the top of this foccaccia sandwich before i sliced it into portions, well, nobody will know, let's just put it back on and cut it anyways"

i get where they're coming from but seriously, it landed mayo side down, would you serve that to your family?

Mine's quite the opposite, the best employees are highschool and college kids and the worst are 30+ year old burn outs who have nothing better to do. They range from mediocre to full on fucking degenerates.

This is so fucking cringy lmao imagine typing that out thinking you were funny

so fuckin true but then I realize that I fit that criteria perfectly

>coworker server was barred out on some xanax, ordered food and sat in the middle island table that is dead center of the whole restaurant eating his food
>It was 6pm on a saturday dinner rush and hes just staring into space slowly chewing his meal

.>same guy later that night picked a candle off a table and poured hot wax all over his chest in the middle of the floor.
Hes no longer employed

>coworker comes in too late
>he's wearing his pants backwards and 2 jackets
>goes straight into the cold storage
>comes back with a cucumber, throws it to the kitchen ground
>looks around for a couple of seconds
>looks down at the cucumber
>"Why the fuck is there a cucumber on the ground?"

That's weird, I had a mormon coworker but she was chill as fuck. No drugs, alcohol, or sex, but was pulling pranks on people left and right and fucking with everyone.

She's in Nicaragua saving south americans from not being down with jesus. Miss that little slut

>Filipino co-worker
>He's a fucking idiot, and his English is horrendous
>Usually I close the restaurant, but one night I'm not there so he gets to
>he leaves the wash sink's hot water tap running
>overnight
>at full blast
>the hot water tank kills itself
>no hot water for 4 days
>owner is too Jew to shut down the restaurant

>What is this post, Alex?

Chef in a mexican restaurant in Scotland throwing a cleaver at the front of house manager. It stuck in the wall about 6 inches from his head. Fucker stayed the hell out of the kitchen after that.

yes but why did he throw it in the first place

>Filipino co-worker
>guy is a fucking boss that does his job correctly and never bitches about anything

>She's in Nicaragua saving south americans from not being down with jesus
Nicaragua is a catholic country tho....

>working as a server in a decent quality italian restaurant
>and by "italian" I obviously mean "owned by italians and staffed by white girls the italians were fucking, and mexicans"
>by some miracle we hire a white chef, mid twenties with a few years of experience
>turns out he had cooking experience at a really good school and cooked in some big name restaurant in chicago prior
>he was a snob and really curt with a lot of the staff, only person he got along with was the secondary chef and me because "you actually work hard"
>thought the front of house girls were lazy whores, the other cooks were too high to make good food and the management was stupid to ignore the new recipes he proposed
>didnt say anything because he put in the work and he wasnt wrong, just an asshole
>imagine someone trying to be House MD in actual life, someone who had technical skill but no people skills
>other chefs, even the one he liked, would bust his ass behind his back and make all sorts of stories about why he left chicago
>girls at front of house had nothing nice to say about him ever, talked about getting management to have him killed (yes really)
>from what I could tell I and the busboys were the only people who didnt actively want him gone
>snobby chef didnt drink or do drugs or spend any time with the chefs outside of work, did nothing but cook and pretty much never made mistakes
>eventually management transferred him to another restaurant which closed down a week later
>all the recipes he talked about implementing suddenly found themselves on the menu, transferred over from the new now-closed restaurant
>chefs we had either couldnt do them right or did them really lazily so many eventually fell off the menu
>snobby chef sends me a text six months after he left thanking me for being real with him, says he cooks privately for a richfag family now
>front of house girl got pregnant and died in an unfortunate car crash

I waited tables at a Chili's in college. I waited on a table of pimps, or at least that's what they looked like. They were African American gentlemen in brightly colored suits wearing colorful hats, holding walking canes, and dazzling and ostentatious sunglasses...at night. It was outrageous and cartoonish. They all ordered two entrees apiece along with fruity margaritas and appetizers and desserts. They all called me "partner" pronounced 'paht-nah.'

Despite their race, they actually tipped relatively well. I was shocked.