Languages still a major barrier to global science, new research finds

Over a third of new conservation science documents published annually are in non-English languages, despite assumption of English as scientific ‘lingua franca’. Researchers find examples of important science missed at international level, and practitioners struggling to access new knowledge, as a result of language barriers.

>Language barriers continue to impede the global compilation and application of scientific knowledge
>Scientific knowledge generated in the field by non-native English speakers is inevitably under-represented, particularly in the dominant English-language academic journals This potentially renders local and indigenous knowledge unavailable in English
>The real problem of language barriers in science is that few people have tried to solve it. Native English speakers tend to assume that all the important information is available in English But this is not true, as we show in our study
>Ignoring such non-English knowledge can cause biases in our understanding of study systems
>A francophone researcher will always need more time than a native English speaker to produce a paper of equal scientific quality
>Journals, funders, authors and institutions should be encouraged to supply translations of a summary of a scientific publication regardless of the language it is originally published in
>While outreach activities have recently been advocated in science, it is rare for such activities to involve communication across language barriers
>We should see this as an opportunity as well as a challenge. Overcoming language barriers can help us achieve less biased knowledge and enhance the application of science globally

Other urls found in this thread:

lac.wetlands.org/Portals/4/Turberas/Factbook Turberas de TdF 2010.pdf
lac.wetlands.org/Portals/4/Turberas/QUISPE taller Ushuaia mayo 2010.pdf
lac.wetlands.org/Portals/4/Turberas/BLANCO taller Ushuaia mayo 2010.pdf
env.go.jp/nature/biodic/ikilog/index.html
degruyter.com/view/j/applirev.2012.3.issue-2/applirev-2012-0016/applirev-2012-0016.xml
unesdoc.unesco.org/images/0018/001883/188333e.pdf
unesdoc.unesco.org/images/0021/002173/217366s.pdf
unesdoc.unesco.org/images/0018/001883/188395e.pdf
unesdoc.unesco.org/images/0018/001883/188395s.pdf
unesdoc.unesco.org/images/0018/001883/188395f.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

In January 2004, when some dangerous virus of bird flu reappeared widely in the world, Chinese scientists found that one strain, H5N1, had infected pigs. It was an alarming finding because some experts argued that pigs had been a springboard for humans in the 1918 flu pandemic, which killed more than 40 million people worldwide. But very few were aware of this disturbing discovery. It was in Chinese.

Scientists at the Harbin Veterinary Research Institute in northeast China published their findings that January in a Chinese-language Journal. Neither the World Health Organization nor the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations heard about the announcement until more than half a year later, Nature Journal later warned.

Mankind was in greater danger by language barriers

Half of me wants to instill global language for science, as the SI units, and part of me also wants to have all scientific efforts focused on a globally cooperative space program

The other half of me knows the jews would take it over and fuck us like they mean it

Wow, really good point.
Journals should hire translators if they can.

I feel like this is something our government should be funding. Like the department of education or something like that. At least put some of our tax money towards something that can actually get done at a consistent pace rather than funneling all the money into ambiguous administrative costs. But at the same time, if your paper doesn't have enough math/data in it for it to be universally understood, is it really that huge of a breakthrough?

>if your paper doesn't have enough math/data in it for it to be universally understood, is it really that huge of a breakthrough?
Scratch that. This is a pretty big fuck up for humanity as a whole.

But linguistics is a branch of philosophy.

Just learn English, you brainlets. Literally one of the easiest languages due to simple grammar and global cultural permeation.

More examples:

The Foundation for the Conservation and Sustainable Use of Wetlands in Argentina has produced a comprehensive report on the role of peatlands/mires/turflands in mitigating climate change, but, it is only in Spanish. "This information is very valuable, but it could be lost if a Scottish scientist, for example, makes a compilation about available knowledge
lac.wetlands.org/Portals/4/Turberas/Factbook Turberas de TdF 2010.pdf
lac.wetlands.org/Portals/4/Turberas/QUISPE taller Ushuaia mayo 2010.pdf
lac.wetlands.org/Portals/4/Turberas/BLANCO taller Ushuaia mayo 2010.pdf

The Japanese Ministry of the Environment has a biodiversity database with one million species records available only in Japanese
env.go.jp/nature/biodic/ikilog/index.html

I would try to read these but I only speak french.

Standardize on English and Americans will start using metric

degruyter.com/view/j/applirev.2012.3.issue-2/applirev-2012-0016/applirev-2012-0016.xml

Lol just write everything in Latin like we did 500 years ago

>you
I write all my stuff in English.

>more papers in cuckweedish than /pol/ish

Gender Science papers don't count.

>Researchers find examples of important science missed at international level, and practitioners struggling to access new knowledge, as a result of language barriers.
Then stop being monolingual, stupid Americans.

Came here to say this.

There are also two articles in the UNESCO published "World Social Science Report 2010" by Yves Gingras and Mosbah-Natanson and another one by Ulrich Ammon regarding the "unequal internationalization of English"

unesdoc.unesco.org/images/0018/001883/188333e.pdf
unesdoc.unesco.org/images/0021/002173/217366s.pdf
unesdoc.unesco.org/images/0018/001883/188395e.pdf
unesdoc.unesco.org/images/0018/001883/188395s.pdf
unesdoc.unesco.org/images/0018/001883/188395f.pdf

>Lol just write everything in Latin
English. The standard language is English.

English isn't really as spoken as a lot of people think, for example here is data from 2006 in European countries

>There are typos regarding Belgium, French is the mother tongue of 36% of the population not 38% and 52% can hold a conversation in English not 38%

United States, in 2001

Mexico

Yeah this is absolutely ridiculous.

With all the bilinguists around these days journals should be legally obligated to have everything translated into English.

>not being polylingual

Git guy brainlet

You can read 15 languages fluently?
Wow user I sure wish I was a big brain like you.

Except the vast majority of researchers are only proficient in their native language and will only consult journals written in that language.

>Except the vast majority of researchers
vast majority of americans**
FTFY

From the article:

on the basis of valid and reasonably representative data, that even in applied linguistics (where it might be expected least of all) the predominance of a single language, English, in international scientific communication excludes contributions from various non-Anglophone quarters and, consequently, contributes to skewed scientific development, especially neglecting Japanese and Chinese, but also French, German, Italian and Russian approaches (because of serious linguistic barriers and refusal to participate in linguistically “unfair” scientific communication, respectively)

So this would let us finally learn how chinese traditional medicine works?

>12.6 spanish
>10.3 portugese
Bitch we have enough Latinos in the Americas that could translate these scientific documents, I'd even volunteer desu.

But the rest, dunno but Italy would be kind of easy to translate as well and the rest would be hard as fuck.

Communication is a bigger problem. It needs only one language to fail.

Well Chinese people could stop being cunts and teach English in schools.

If you can't publish in English,
don't publish at all.

English is the official global language anyway.

>hurr hurr i knows different
>literally think and say the samething but in different language

English or GTFO

>[CURRENT YEAR]
>not publishing your shit in English
A nice way to not start off your academic career desu.

If I remember correctly, natural language processing and translations are almost possible in real time through neural algorithms. Should it not then also be possible to automatically translate written text?
As long as researchers don't use terribly prosaic language that defies grammatical conventions, this should be possible very soon.

You guys realize that according to the article "only" 64.4% of the research was in English in 2014, that is similar to the proportion of non-Hispanic Whites in the United States in 2014 (62.05%)
Really makes you think isn't it?

I'm surprised there's that much research published in Spanish. As a bilingual speaker I'm curious if there's work translating research to English.

FAT POOPY FART PENIIISS
I FARTED ON A BAG OF POOP AND IT SMELLLSSS

The technology is too messy and even if it were to be used it would probably only be used as a tool to help the translator because it would be super embarrassing to spread falsehoods over a mistranslation.

The regular non Hispanic isn't really making research papers

Ah I see. However, with time it becomes better and even if it is only an assistance to the translator, it can hardly hurt. And it could always learn from that particular paper.

What a fucking dumb proposal

English grammar is literally of one the most illogical in the world. The exceptions sometimes surpass the rule. English itself is an intuitive language, if you weren't a monolingual pleb you'd realise this. If you want simple grammar, try the East Asian languages.

He is right though. Conducting scholarship in living languages was a mistake. English language writings as recent as those from the 19th century are barely understandable to modern readers due to the archaic language, and even earlier scholarship is generally only known in various adapted/abridged versions. Living languages will continue to evolve and perpetuate these problems.

The advantage of Latin was not that it was "the standard" (that's arbitrary), but precisely the fact that it was a dead language. Using a living language you are stuck in a temporal bubble one or two centuries wide in which the works of others are understandable. Beyond that bubble you might as well learn a new language.

Meanwhile if you learn Latin you can understand works written over the span of two millennia with far less trouble than a modern English speaker trying to understand his own native language from a few centuries ago.

The current linguistic barriers the thread focuses on may not be as painful in the long run as the temporal barriers we are continuously erecting - an incomprehensible bulwark against future generations of scholars.

The fundamental truths survive though. Math, Logic are still around. Only the social sciences suffer from this time bubble and they should, as they are far more influenced by 200 years of change than language is

As long as people are working with it, a language isn't dead. Medieval Latin diverged significantly from any previous form of the language.

Furthermore, no fixed language would be adequate for rapidly advancing fields. The language has to evolve to be useful for efficiently expressing concepts. Imagine trying to talk about computer programming in Latin! You'd have to reinvent dictionaries worth of vocabulary, and it would still be gibberish to anyone trained on the classics.

>Portugese that far ahead of Mandarin
???

Brazil

>forcing people to write in a language they don't understand

Sure, the vast majority of people nowadays can speak and write english properly, but that's not everyone. And I'd rather have work done in a non-english language than reading a grammatically error-riden paper/dataset/whatever because the person conducting it worced themselves to do so.

Also, nothing is more enjoyable than pissing of brainlets who can only speak one language.

We need one global language for communication to work to have peace on earth. Only one! I choose English because it's the most intelligent one: for a small number of the most intelligent people on earth who can write in grammatically-correct, complete sentences; with actual punctuation and capitals).

To be fair, lingua francae are clearly useful. It used to be Latin but nobody speaks that so English was the next best thing. Whatever language it is, it's gonna be easier to communicate if everyone's speaking the same one.

If it ain't broke...

Who the fuck decided to make English the global language?
I mad.

BRING BACK LATIN!!1

What the hell do smelly third-worlders know that we don't

Humbleness.

Is that all? Thanks for shining the light on the mystery. Now we've got all the knowledge they have to offer

Use Finnish instead. Anybody able to learn that is smart enough for science.

Portispeak is because Brazil's government is fucking retarded and many of their grants require them so publish in seanigger speak.

Spanish is due to illiteracy in those countries and Chinese is due to peer review dodge attempts.

>English language writings as recent as those from the 19th century are barely understandable to modern readers due to the archaic language
Bullshit.

Also the French are just pricks.

Basically the 3.0% on the right hand side is the most important non-English though.

just hire all those linguistics/languages + [science domain] degree graduates to translate them

some deep and abstract concepts might only best expressed on someone's native tongue

>And I'd rather have work done in a non-english language than reading a grammatically error-riden paper/dataset/whatever because the person conducting it worced themselves to do so
You're reading from a shitty journal then. If the refs allow a paper containing that many errors then perhaps you should really question the integrity of its editors.

tfw

The database used was Google Scholar

>Lol just write everything in Latin like we did 500 years ago

This is a bad idea.

We use latin language for some stuff because its a dead language, if we started to really use latin to talk with others this would fuck with all other curent uses of latin

>What the hell do smelly third-worlders know that we don't
Our language

Trying to imagine how a language would be if it was 'created' like math

>Jews on the moon

KHHAAAAANNN!!

The problem are scientists who don't give a shit about English publishing things English-speaking scientists want to know

>English language writings as recent as those from the 19th century are barely understandable to modern readers

>Charles Dickens
>barely understandable

>Adam Smith
>barely understandable

even Shakespeare is understandable, whose writing are a bit older than XIXth century, even though it's poetry.

>implying any research that's not in English is even worth reading

You mean Esperanto?

>even Shakespeare is understandable,
Not to me it's not. Seriously what the fuck are these people on about in his plays?

Polysemy in English language is terrible as hell, it's too barrier to global science, also USA like buy "brains" and do headhunting, so English speaking scientists can be easy stealted from an original country.

checked

You're right. There's only one truly universal storyteller.

>t. Guatemalan

I dunno but I just remember not understanding a word they were saying. Apart from the odd bit.

I felt I understood R&J a bit better after watching the Zeferelli film in school but still that was mostly from the action, the dialogue eluded me.

Ithkuil

what

Guat!