Do you think making a movie out of Confederacy of Dunces might be interesting? Give your honest opinion

Do you think making a movie out of Confederacy of Dunces might be interesting? Give your honest opinion.

Sure

The only movies that get made now are oscar bait or superhero movies. If it was a straightfaced comedy about some /r9k/ type I guess it would be ok, but lets face, this generation of directors are either James Franco or Zack Snyder types, and neither are going to make a subtle comedy about overeducated delusional mysoginistic NEETs

no. the book wasn't interesting, so why would a movie be? "oh, lol he jerked off to his dog" fuckin plebs, i swear. the guy had to kill himself before he even got published, the DFW of his time. if you fucks had Veeky Forums back then you'd be meming it into oblivion.

Stop pretending like ignatius was anything like the pathetic ressentiment-fueled support group /r9k/.

Also
>/r9k/
>educated

'No'

>The only movies that get made now are oscar bait or superhero movies.
No. I can tell give you 50 interesting american films made in the last 10 years that are none of these.

I'm obviously considering the situation where the film is directed and written by a great team.

If Ignatius was born in 1986 he would have been baiting women on twitter, playing WoW and eating cheetos. Just because he was exposed at an early age to Boethius doesnt mean that he is any different then your typical /r9k/ type nowadays.

If it took place today he would be citing Schopenhauer.

t. triggered frog folk

Ignatius didn't hate women more than anyone else. Also, he didn't need an online circle jerk to validate his beliefs.

He was at least authentic in his ressentiment

Schopenhauer was already around in 1967 or whenever this was written. If Ignatius was alive today he would an aspergic suicidal NEET living with his mother and attending the job centre once every two week's to pretend he attended that interview they sorted out for him and would spend his time fapping to Sue Lightning and Lanita Hot and shitposting on Veeky Forums, /pol/ and /r9k/ and occasionally experiencing brief periods wherein he felt convinced that he was a genius.

>thinking a dogfucker is 'educated'
any fat fuck who sits in a room with a few books can shit out a simulacrum of what he reads. it's not special, you fucks just think it's education because you haven't lived isolated from technology for several years at a time. fuck, i swear some people haven't ever lived.

Would watch netflix original series desu

>If Ignatius was alive today he would an aspergic suicidal NEET living with his mother and attending the job centre once every two week's to pretend he attended that interview they sorted out for him
That's like already what's in the book bro

This book is such garbage, I really don't get the appeal. It's not funny, bar two or 3 situations in a 350 pages book, it's not particularly subtle, intelligent nor well-written. It's shite, people here only like it because of the subject matter

It's a book that doesn't give a fuck about you or anybody else. It's a book written by a studious, self-deprecating man who looks in a mirror and sees a needy, pretentious, arrogant figure of amusement. It's the only book Toole could have written, and it's a miracle it was ever published.

It is really subtle. More than it may seem. This book shouts everything our world is becoming, good and bad: the pretentious NEET, the stupid and hysterical leftist activist, the collapse of the academic system... It's strong, it's funny, and as the other guy said, the situation of Toole towards Ignatius is really interesting.

You didn't respond directly to my post but I assume I am "the other guy" so I am going to count your comment as a (You) in my favour. Thanks.

the only acceptable portrayal

woops

They should make a movie about how the author committed suicide because no one liked his books

What about the fat guy Q from Impractical Jokers?

Agree. This guy is actually funny too.

Hundreds of smaller films are released each year, but they aren't in major theatres and don't have huge ad campaigns. You can't just go to your local multiplex anymore and expect to see things of cinematic value, you have to find smaller theatres, follow smaller production companies and look for independent films.

Films have always had mass amounts of repetitive trash (see: Cowboy movies in 50s-70s, action hero movies of the 80 sand zombie movies from 90s-2000s). I will contest that the major studios now produce even less good films than they used to, but that's because films have become so expensive to produce. These large studios see films have as product more than art. Producers do focus groups and analytics to try and make their investment as sound as possible. They force the director to shove in various aspects to fit the quota of 'stuff that will get the audience in the seats' and then the director is forced to try and make art around what the studio already added to the canvas.

But I digress, big studios are no longer the backers of great artists and makers of compelling films, so ignore them, who gives a shit. Watch old movies, watch independent movies, go to film fests, just don't support the movies that you say you hate so much.

If it was executed properly, like if it was adapted by the Coen Brothers or something like that.

There are a lot of classic theatrical elements at play, so as long as it didn't get but fucked by production and they didn't cast someone like Seth Rogan or Jonah Hill as Ignatius I bet it could turn out really well on the big screen.

Not that it'll ever happen, it probably wouldn't make shit at the box office.