Aliens

Do they have even a 10% chance of being out there Veeky Forums?

As things stand do you think it would benefit the earth if we did make contact?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atmosphere_of_Mars
bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-38663522
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

100% chance given the size of our galaxy, yet alone the universe.

No, we aren't ready for contact. Not until we colonize Alpha Centauri.

What about Mars?

We had the tech to colonize Mars since the late 1970's.

How?
Srs question

>put people and stuff on rocket
>point in the correct direction and engage rocket engines

There is zero data, so assigning even a rough probability is not possible -- any number anbody quotes at you on this is pulling a number out of his ass, or is quoting someone who pulled it out of their ass.

>benefit

Assuming they had tech superiority, the track record of savages meeting advanced cultures is not encouraging.

The rock crabs look like they'd be good with drawn space-butter.

The aliens don't want to make themselves known because they don't want to be forced to accept Muslim immigration.

Of course they've always been here. The Blue Avians are an inspiring start.

Nigger I'm talking long term. Will people permanently live under domes? What about the atmosphere? We need oxygen too

Domes or underground of course. People already live in commie blocks all around the world so it'll be more or less the same just bigger and with more facilities built in, besides, not being able to go out without suits of course.
As for oxygen, that one's easy as long as you've got electricity and access to ice.
Essentially the only places really not suitable for colonization are venus and mercury imo. Inner solar system is hell, the outer is just far away and needs fission for energy source.

Nuclear Thermal Rockets.

Superheat literally any liquid or gas past a nuclear reactor. You can use hydrogen, methane, water, even kerosene.

but nuclear is scary to faggots

>nuclear in space

Are you crazy? Do you even know how dangerous nuclear pollution is? You'd irradiate everything around the earth with that stuff and doom future generations because of short term gain. Not to mention what happens if it explodes and the millions that will die because of that.
#antinuclear
#worldpeace

>implying we never made contact
how can you be proud of using the scientific method and not be skeptic about the possibility that ((they)) don't want the public to know. We are probably being unslaved right now.

I read a sci-fi story about a liquid helium life-form on Pluto. I think it was Asimov.

Humans are just water with impurities right?

>100% chance given the size of our galaxy, yet alone the universe.
This is brainlet reasoning.

I think if there were aliens (other world aliens, not immigrant aliens), they would be as desperate for contact as we are; broadcasting our location without thinking we could be attracting a dominant race to enslave us (because they're also as f'd up as our uncivilized, mostly ignorant society of common-senseless people).

this is what happens when you meet an alien:

>Year 3012
>on planet Shraz
>driving anti-gravity transporter into Dome 11
>try to enter, plan on going to the super market there
>path blocked by a group of protestors
>they used Space Dye to tint their visors green and pink
>helmet piercings to stretch out their transmitters
>they stomp their feet, shouting "Grey lives matter!"
>sigh
>remember the galactic police blasting that occured when a Grey Alien tried to assault an officer and he was shot by his blaster
>try to find an alternative way around
>begin seeing molded space bacteria on buildings
>oh shit
>begin to see less humans and more Greys
>Aliens with wearing helmets with their visors up
>stupid aliens why wear the helmet if they aren't outside the dome
>sag their jetpacks down to their tailbone
>continue to speed up, almost out of the bad territory
>have to slow down at a redlight
>Grey walks up to my window
>"Ticki gronk rooorp. Lemi niccin boah?"
>wtf stupid Grey speaking his gibberish version of English, fuck off
>speed away
>minutes later and finally at the supermarket
>stupid fucking Greys, should have kept them enslaved like back in 2860.

Benefit?
If we encounter aliens they would very likely be technologicaly superior. Thousands of years superior.
Ergo, what ever they want, they get.
So its like rolling dice. Maybe they want pets? Will probably be cool aka survivable. Maybe they want a lifeless universe? Not so cool.

they are out there
they have never come even close to earth

>zero data
haven't there been signs of at least the precursors of life on other planets (water on mars, etc)?

>the track record of savages meeting advanced cultures is not encouraging.
except in those cases, what you call "advanced cultures" were still merely murderous savages with boats and guns.

interstellar travel is orders of magnitude beyond sea travel. it could very well be that having a truly civilized, benevolent society is a prerequisite to marshaling the resources/labor needed to develop it.

leftie fag detected

But there isn't as much ice on Mars so oxygen will be a problem.

Not talking about how to get there but how to maintain living there.

Good answers though, thanks.

>Never microwaved his ballsack.
>Doesn't understand rational fear.

>not using NSWR
>not using them in atmosphere because i dont give a fuck

>100% chance
Where's the proof?

the chance can only be defined as "null", there is no chance for there to be and there is no chance for there not to be. Their benefit would entirely depend on their actions and our own. Which are very unpredictable as our actions would scale to theirs and we have no idea (not even a single little value) as to what they would be like.

We only have our own planet for reference and we can't even assume a planet identical to ours would habour the same life as we have no evidence at all that it would.

100% ,we are part alien.

I mean, as a frequentist, Id say the probability is many orders of magnitude above 1.0

Why would an advanced space-faring civilization need or want slaves? Their robotics will likely be very advanced. Even in our own civilization we see a steady advancement of automation and a gradual decrease in the need for labor.

No reason to bother enslaving a bunch of murderous apes who will plot against you every chance they get in order to do stuff you can just have your robots do. Humans have to be fed, looked after, provided with some entertainment, their reproduction has to be regulated, etc etc.

As to the earth itself, there is nothing here that can't be found much more simply in space, places like moons and asteroid belts that have no native population of clever murderers. An advanced space-faring race would find it much simpler just to get what they need from there.

If they're out there and near to us, I would expect them to be keeping an eye on us to make sure we don't become dangerous and sneak up on them, but not more than that.

the number one reason for slaves throughout history is sex

Who the fuck knows what kind or moral code and set of ethics a highly advanced civilization that lives on another planet has.
What if they wanted to keep us as exotic pets or worse use us as lab rats to see what makes us tick.
They could be very desperate for resources.

imo Saying "here we are" to the galaxy is a very bad idea if the small fraction of a percentage of a chance someone hears it comes true there's a high chance they wont be inviting us into some fucking peace treaty.

>6

They have a 50% chance.
Either they're there or they're not

Its a 50-50; they either are there or aren't

underrated post

Alien life almost certainly exists. Given the size of the universe, the idea that Earth is the only planet that ever had or ever will have life is mind bogglingly unlikely.

The problem is it is much more likely that we will never have any evidence whatsoever that aliens are a thing, even if they are.

The distance is too vast, and you have to account for time as well as space. If we find a planet where aliens have evolved, we are much more likely to find a planet of space animals or a dead world littered with ruins than we are to find someone in that happy middle ground where they are at a technological level similar to us. Too soon and they can't talk, too late and everyone is dead.

The cycle of galactic 'civilization' is discovering the tombstones of the great races that came before you, and eventually leaving one of your own for future travelers to find and wonder at. Assuming you ever make it that far in the first place.

We're all gonna make it brah.

yeah, but every now and then things break and dont go as planned. so when something like this happens on earth, that means you dont have electricity for a couple of hours. when something like this on mars happens, it means no oxygen for a couple of hours. i find it incredibely naive that people think you can live on mars in a way that is even remotely similar to life on earth.

Does this mean only Trump know about their existence?

Chances are we're the only civilization in our observable universe.

based

To assume in our infinite universe that aliens do not exist is ridiculous, as proof niggers are aliens

100%

Also, even if THEY contacted US, do you really think that would make headlines and be plastered on every website and magazine? They'd likely be more advanced than us, assuming they advance(ed) at a comparable speed to us. The time-frame of technological levels between ours and having any technology to contact us with, should take up a very slim portion of a species existence, so probability of encountering one within this time of their existence is slim. (if they were less advanced, they probably wouldn't even know we exist) They'd likely be more advanced so have more advanced ways to extract energy, build things, produce things, travel, govern ect. which could cause big, powerful businesses and social-political systems of ours to collapse from the general public "throwing a fit" over not having what those aliens have.

Given the fact life exists here it seems probable that life exists elsewhere but that doesn't mean it is intelligent, or multi cellular or even recognizable as living by us and chances are high we will never encounter it.

Dying XD

>precursors of life on other planets (water on mars, etc)?
There is no evidence that water is relevant to life at all. We cannot view the universe from a single tiny personal frame of reference. For all we know it is only relevant to life on Earth. It seems like it would be relevant elsewhere but the point is that we have no evidence at all so we don't know whether or not it is.

>merely murderous savages with boats and guns.
not really, that's a naive and narrow view. Literally no one outright murdered a population or stole their shit. It was complicated mixtures of economy, power projection, central politics and religion. Did you know that Native North American tribes (at this point they were all equipped with firearms) use to play French and British powers off of each other to maintain power in their regions. It's only when France withdrew due to external reasons that Britain then actually subjugated said native tribes and that was more of a side effect of colonist wanting land, not a specific vendetta or desire against them.

The Martian atmosphere is about 4% oxygen. You could easily isolate and farm it.

>The drake equation mmeans something
>>/x/

>The Martian atmosphere is about 4% oxygen.
It's not, it's actually about 0.15% oxygen:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atmosphere_of_Mars

Depending on your available resources, splitting oxygen from either CO2 or ice would probably be the best bet for survival on Mars.

>There is no evidence that water is relevant to life at all. We cannot view the universe from a single tiny personal frame of reference. For all we know it is only relevant to life on Earth. It seems like it would be relevant elsewhere but the point is that we have no evidence at all so we don't know whether or not it is.

N=1 true. Small sample size, but there are plenty of reasons from the realm of chemistry for why water is required. (hydrogen donor for lots of reactions, can readily dissolve molecules into solution, thermal modulator for reactions and for climate)

>only earth has life

really

>cats are aleins?

i dont really get the "super high advanced aliens" thing. sure maybe they have better materials, machines, AI. but how do they beat the speed of light, entropy, time? there is like a wall in the universe and its probably closer than we might think

This is double bait right?

Fuck off to caveman Veeky Forums then. You live in a world where the EMdrive works and Trump is president. Smell the fucking roses.

EMdrive was that the particle smasher they were working on in Texas?

Given the size of the observable universe, it's more likely that life exists somewhere out there than that it doesn't. If we are found by alien life more advanced then us, they will probably either help us, use us for experiments and as workers of some kind, or leave us alone. It's also possible, however, that when we first encounter alien life, we will be the more advanced species, and we will be the ones finding them. We will either benefit or not be effected by this, because we will be calling the shots due to having superior weapons and technology.

seeing as how humans have already bassically creafted artifical life, there is a slim chance of them not existing at all.

think about it. life began in a little pool of water here on earth with billions of microscopic entities, so just imagine the universe is like that too and there are bound to be tons of other galaxies that house life

have you ever looked at a cat?

>triple eyelid
>slit pupil
>spikes growing out of tongue
>back legs have two "knee" joints instead of one
>retractable razor claws
>ears are fully movable on a swivel mount

i think they're at least some sort mammal/alien hybrid

"AI" NANI SORA!?

>>back legs have two "knee" joints instead of one

Wrongo, friend.
Cats, like all the other digitigrade and unguligrade mammals like horses, giraffes, dogs, pigs, etc., walk on what in human anatomy is the balls of the feet or the tip of the toe, their ankle is well clear of the ground and acts/looks like a backwards-facing second knee -- but it's the same ankle joint we have.

We're actually the ones that are odd-man-out on leg structure; other than primates and bears, I can't think of any other plantigrade mammals that walk flat-footed with the ankle down at ground level.

I see an extra joint there, faggot

I'm honestly more interested on what they look like. Considering they're from a completely different planet (but still earthlike enough to harbor life) with a completely different evolutionary history/chemical makeup, I wonder if we'll even recognize it when we see it.

What use would they have for slaves that wouldn't even understand the technology gap?

If anything we'd be seen as a curiosity or ab-normal species

Perhaps as cannon-fodder, then? I could imagine an alien race enlisting the help of primitive lifeforms (ex. Us), with the promise of new medical/transportation/weapons technology.
Like how some inhabited islands were used as basecamps during various wars. Only difference is we'd be helping them.

Yes there is a good statistical chance that there is other forms of life out there. Even intelligent ones.
However it is better for us to never ever ever meet them. Especially if they are intelligent.

They're coming down real soon.
Prepare the anguses.

What if we're still at the dawn of the universe and life elsewhere is still to be developed. What if we are destined to be caretakers of the universe helping other species grow and become a part of our then expansive intergalactic society

I also have a serious belief that other animals are naturally evolving into sentience. I don't think it'll be a millennium before man has to coexist with literal conscious intellectual birds and dolphins and maybe eventually all/most creatures will reach the point of self awareness and sentience.

Look up Alex the Parrot. If true it could be very telling of our potential future

Bump

Depends on whether the formation of life was a random chemical process or not
If its a random process the chance of life existing other than us is very small even if the universe is massive

>Do they have even a 10% chance of being out there Veeky Forums?
I think they definitely do. They probably don't just don't look like classic ayys. Microbes, bacteria, plantlike sure.
>As things stand do you think it would benefit the earth if we did make contact?
With less intelligent ones I hope there's nothing out there like a face hugger from Alien
With more intelligent ones hopefully not pic related

Bump

The life we found on Europa

That was just some water crystals remember

Are you fucking retarded bro?

Pic related is merely the paranoid rambling of a person whose nation was formed out of conflict between several larger nations. Conflict is all they know.

My vision of an alien race is somewhat odd, for I don't view them as warring monsters or benevolent god-like figures. Instead, I view them as another person from which a partnership could arise, given the right circumstances. Perhaps they need help or materials for some unknown reason (possibly a war), and are willing to trade rather than annihilate us. In time, we could grow to become great friends, and could spread through the galaxy.

but just look at how different life is on our own planet the chances would have to be higher then we can reasonably guess

dun b butthurt

what about this, Veeky Forums? wouldn't sufficiently advanced aliens be able to perform covert operations without literally any human noticing here on earth? assume they have ftl. they're already here, Veeky Forums

Goodnight Veeky Forums

What if aliens look like Moogles or Gremilns?

Hi Veeky Forums, I should let you know that aliens exist and that I'm one of them.

>haven't there been signs of at least the precursors of life on other planets (water on mars, etc)?
Water nothing, there's freaking amino acids in some of those freaking meteors as asteroids (nevermind the fact that carbon and H2O are common as fuck).

But if complex life was common, the galaxy has been life sustaining for long enough that, if you for assume life continues to expand for as long and as much as it can, we shoulda been visited a thousand times over by now. (And in fact, already been colonized.)

It might be that any species that retains that infinite growth model never makes it to the stars, and thus every civilization that does is biologically immortal with an in-built population cap, and thus doesn't need mega-structures for energy generation and never colonizes more than the handful of systems required for long term survival.

But a much more simple explanation is that complex life is just rare as fuck.

I dont? hip, knee, ankle. three. three joints seem about right

Our concept of time is related to the existence of our planet. Life as we know it sprung out of ideal environmental conditihons and evolved over time. Based on our frame of reference of what the requirements of life are, is it possible that other planets may have once met these ideal conditions or still do? I'd imagine that any extraterrestrial life form would likely be a further evolved humanoid species that we may be the predecessors of. Maybe there is more to the symbiotic relationship we have with microorganisms.

Well, in fact if sentience is something usual in universe there should be one species to be the first in our corner of universe. But being first is unlikely by definition. Still possible tho.

Since we exist, and the universe is large, it's either 100% if we're nothing special, and 0% if we're special.

Since any time we thought we were special, it turned out we were not, the safe bet is on 100%.

Personally i prefer the rare earth hypothesis, since any amount of competition will be terrifying ( the one we'll create for ourselves through speciation is already terrifying ) due to RKVs.
But the universe don't owe me shit, so rare earth hypothesis is probably bullshit.

I like to think animals such as dogs & cats can talk but choose not to on some unknown precedent they sent long ago

hip, knee 1, knee 2, ankle

Instead of the normal knuckles of the hand, cats have an elaborate mechanism of bone and tentacle to create retractable razor claws

It would rearange eaths power so much rulling class would deny it so you wouldnt have evidence. They would for sure have beyond oil technology.

This is triple bait, right?

nice screencap

Human beings are incredibly adaptable. Even observation of alien technology would jump start our development, actually getting our hands on it would start a revolution overnight.

Look at how Native Americans adapted to the horse.

>oil

It's absolutely obsolete

bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-38663522
did no one see this???

>we /x/ now

It's a conceit of sorts that a planet that has life will necessarily give rise to a spacefaring species. Life is messy and fickle, even if it doesn't get wiped out or stuck at single celled organisms any animals that arise may not ever be intelligent, those that are may not have the means or opportunity to develop technology, and even if they do the mere desire to leave the planet is questionable. And of course, regardless of what they would or could do its easy to kill themselves off along the way.