/lits top 100 chart disappoints another year in a row

he's right you know.

I'm redpilled and proud of my heritage and will not see it be flushed down the drain

he's not wrong you know

This isn't about your cum box.

makes no sense

you retire books, and the top 100 would then be the top 101-200.

nobody can say what their true favorite books are, nobody can say they like ulysses, hamlet, and the divine comedy, the iliad, or paradise lost because they're "retired," old hat, we're all sheep, we need to progress beyond man

bad idea

Ya I don't see why we shouldn't do that. I'd be up for making a chart that has none of the books on any of the other charts. Though it will likely be a 101-200 list, I think it would serve a purpose.
I'll give it a go if you lads want to help.

better idea: it's not a "new top 100," leave the top 100 alone, but you ask Veeky Forums to recommend books not on the top 100, and you make a chart out of that. "100 books not on the top 100."

we already did this. it turned out terrible.

how was it terrible?

where can i see it?

He isn't wrong, but you couldn't do this for more than a couple of years without the quality of books dramatically dropping, plus the inherit nature of reading means you'd see a fuckton of books with 1 or 2 votes making the list.

okay so after 2 years of retirement you are able to he voted into the list again.

>yfw this is leftism in a different form

too complicated.

is a simple idea, and it's actually the same ideas as yours (if you are the op) only it doesn't replace the top 100, which is an idea you seem attached to.

It's already bad enough authors like Orwell being in the top 50, I can't wait to see shit like Jemisin in the top 150.

101-200 top would be great, only major problem would be sorting out the inevitable autistic votes for actual top 100 books

IMHO:

Any author in the previous years' top 25 (or however far you want to go) can't be included. So, none of Pynchon's works would be allowed; none of DFW's works; and so on. But whichever author had a book at #26 or lower (and who didn't have any entries at #1-25) could have all of their works included in the list.

You are retarded

This is better than barring all 100 of the current books, at least.

Wew

Perhaps we should just stop pretending we are an authority on literature by repeating other people's opinions. Or pretending that such a small sample base could produce meaningful results anyway.

I don't think anyone here seriously thinks Veeky Forums is an authority on literature.

Holy shit lad. Please stop taking yourself so seriously. You're no dispenser of knowledge. We know mate, we know. It's simply a board activity.

School of Resentment, folks.

sounds black

>RETIRE BOOKS AFTER 2 YEARS
Jerusalem and Bottom's Dream competing for first.

This. Change for the sake of change is unhealthy. Some things are the ways they are because they are the best way of doing things (or in this case, the top 100 are there because they're highly regarded and loved by people on this board). Changing it because people's favorite books haven't changed is regressive.

what the hell? I've never even heard about these books at the top before.

kek

It's not change, it's addition. It's also a harmless activity.

I vote for change!

The solution to this is to have a Veeky Forums Hall of Fame

I think a Top 100 list could still be done on a recurring basis

Maybe part of all of the current list could make up the inaugural HoF list

Then after that a list of nominees could be solicited, and from that list a new class could be voted in

Do they put you on a watchlist if you buy one of those top 3?

I fairly new to this board , so ill be short brief

I'v seen two threads relating to this top 100 list and 3 times made an attempt at asking questions about the books and looking for recommendations.Every single post i made got 0 replys , then i realize that 90% of posts are about 'X shouldn't be on the list and X should' or 'redit thinks this or redit are X'

Why do you all care about this fucking stupid list , who the fuck are you trying to impress? Its obviously doesn't share any function to help people read new books or get recommendations.

The top 7 are all books with nude children.

i'm meant to change what my favourite books are each year?

>oh no, i still like ulysses, how embarrassing

>implying anyone on this board has even read more than 20 books on that list.

u got pdfs?

No, of course not. The fuck is wring with you people

nice reading comprehension

If we introduced certain rules it would imo improve the list.

For instance, one book per author. That way it eliminates fanboydom and gives the list more variance.

Why not just have a Shelf of Fame bracket?

Any Top 100 title with an average rank of ≤5 after two years or ≤ 10 after 3 gets inducted into the SoF.

SoF titles are ranked by tier, with ranges of averages being the tier boundaries, e.g. 1-2.5 = top shelf and 8-10 = bottom shelf, with three mid-ranges.

Once a particular tier has reached a capacity of 30, a vote is cast among that tier, with the top 5 going up a shelf and the bottom five going down. The exception would of course be the top shelf, which would just have its bottom 10 titles be demoted after the votes and any ensuing cascade votes would need casting.

A title that retains its tier for 5 consecutive demo/promo votes becomes permanent and is no longer voted on, but does still count for the total capacity.

it's a survey of what people here like, why is everyone trying to game it into something else?

>one book per author
i approve

A more viable solution would be to construct a Veeky Forums Essentials chart consisting of what we deem to be the most essential non-meme books, however many that may be- similar to /mu/'s essentials chart- then annually vote for the top 100 books that aren't on the Veeky Forums essentials chart.

That will keep our favorites on a relevant chart representative of our tastes and makes room for a chart with a lot of circulation an lesser known works every year.

I think that will solve all of our problems, and improve the hype for the annual chart vote

Also I could make the Veeky Forums Essentials chart. Sometimes you guys pick some wack covers.

why did you screenshot your own post then make a thread about it?

Leave it alone.

1. It's representative of what books we actually like. If the books don't change year to year, that's because the kind of people who post here doesn't change year to year.

2. Given that the list was created by a popularity contest, the fact that it's as good as it is, with Joyce, Melville, David Foster Wallace, Dostoevsky, Nabokov, The Bible, Pynchon, McCarthy, Borges, Williams, Cervantes, Camus, Kafka, Homer, Dante, etc., etc., — the fact that those authors are at the top, and I could keep going for a while before I hit a second-rate author, that's impressive for a popularity contest, and it speaks well of the board's taste. What's wrong with the chart again?

3. It's not as though the Top 100 is the only chart we've ever made. There are like fifty Veeky Forums charts covering all kinds of books that are not on the Top 100. If you want to know about Russian literature, German literature, Surrealism, Literary Criticism, and so on, there are charts are for those subjects.

I see no reason to "shake up" the Top 100.

Could you even flush a cum box down the drain?

>It's representative of what books we actually like
Man you clearly do not lurk the voting threads. Tons of people vote based on memes. Joyce and DFW end up in the top 10 every year solely because they are meme authors, I doubt half the people who vote for them have actually read their books.

we are bored

also there are charts for recommendations

This board actually loves Joyce and DFW, whether they meme about them or not. Same with Pynchon. Ulysses and Infinite Jest are that high on the Top 100 because this board loves maximalist modernism/postmodernism. The real memes on there are Bottom's Dream and Jerusalem.

Infinite Jest is simply Bottom's Dream memed for longer.

>Veeky Forums top 100
>First 37 spots aren't Shakespeare

Plebs. Irredeemable.

>30-45 minutes a day
>every other day

Good luck with your no gains.

I wonder if you could ask the third book from Amazon without fearing FBI monitoring you afterwards.

You're dumb as rock lassie. The point of another chart wouldn't be to change your favorites, nor would it be to reproach you for your favorite being your favorite. It's just more suggestions for you.

Fuckin this

Anons should have to pass an AR quiz or some shit for a book if they want their vote to count.

Could he... dare I say it... be our guy?

>search the books at the top because of curiosity
>suddenly nude little girls everywhere
Looks like I'm going to jail in no time, thanks Veeky Forums.

Knausgård's first book has a little girl by the Jock on the cover too.

Where the fuck is Lolita?

On the bright side, you can read lots of books for free in jail.

That one is the quintessential pedo book, newfriend

My bad, I thought you said "what"

Too late for me, I guess.