So Veeky Forums, I recently discovered something which questions established theory...

So Veeky Forums, I recently discovered something which questions established theory. I have all the data to back it up and the experiment is easily repeatable. How do I approach my professor about this when its his established theory?

respectfully and cautiously

I have a meeting with him next Monday morning. I'm literally shaking. I have double checked everything and am pretty sure my experiment was done right. Even got some 1st year students to work on it without letting them know what it was they were doing, but the results check out. I'm worried my discovery may upset some startup memes my professor is directly invested in.

Generally, if you think you've disproved some major element of a field of study, you're probably wrong.

That said, you NEED to talk to someone about it. If you're right, this is a major discovery. And if you're wrong it's an opportunity to correct your understanding of the science.

Rather than approaching the lead in this area, if you're worried you could always go to another scientist to verify your data/math/whatever before talking to the expert.

good luck

You should keep quiet and keep it to yourself! You don't want to rock the boat.

1) Buy a wizards hat.
2) Prepare explanation for your discovery.
3) Make educational videos and upload to youtube. ( Don't forget to wear the wizard hat while explaining !)
4) Profit!

Listen up, instead of being wrong and embarassing yourself to a small community you should send it to a big journal. If you're right you get published, if you're not you're just among 95% that were rejected.

Upload it to vixrA

Post it on Veeky Forums.

Depends massively on the professor. Some people will welcome independent checking of their work. Some do not.

In fact I think most people will react quite badly to being told they are wrong, so you should go into this with an open mind and not be like "you are wrong, retard. Here is why", but more like "I have some problems making my data agree with your theory, can you tell me what I did wrong?"

Good way to mask your retardation since it's anonymous as well.

How did it go, OP?

Take it to the press. The public deserves to know!

Field?
Theory?

False alarm guys. Turns out I forgot a minus sign in one of my plot fitting equations and thats why the results appeared "unconventional".

I want to just crawl up in a hole and die...

kek

I really hope this is someone trolling and impersonating OP

It is
Sign errors are a fucking meme
You'd recognize your plot being upside down
The meeting is on Monday

Disreagard this. Some guy is impersonating me.

I was serious here. I wanna fucking cry

so overall how's it looking?