In your opinion, which of these degrees are the best - in terms of employability? No memes

In your opinion, which of these degrees are the best - in terms of employability? No memes

Chemistry
Computer Science
Economics
Engineering
Mathematics
Physics

right now it is CS

but since I don't need any more competition go ahead and get into Chemistry

Engineering

What turns me off about CS is the idea of staring at a bunch of symbols that mean nothing all day and also the kind of people that study it (not nerds, wannabe 'nerds' that watch The Big Bang Theory).

I don't know why "employability" would be your only factor

it'd probably be CS with engineering behind it, but if you're actually a clever person, you could have a degree in Sack, Crack, & Gooch Studies for all I care.

You have to actually enjoy the subject or I could pay you $100,000 starting and you'll still probably want to shoot yourself.

I know that.
Making money isn't actually a priority at all for me. But after reading a lot about the supposedly grim landscape for post-doc researchers, I'm not sure it would be wise to study physics. I'm thinking applied maths might be the best option or maybe a PhD in economics? They both interest me.

Companies have been hiring physicists at higher rates and for higher pay due to the intelligence glut forming under engineering. Physicists (especially with masters and doctorates) basically can do everything engineers can but better (much better), and they don't bring the under-qualified, self-entitlement attitude most engineers are stereotyped as having (and rightfully so). This is coming from an engineer who does the business ends of things, so I've pretty much already had to swallow this hard truth a long time ago.

Chemistry is pretty much stagnant as far as opportunities go, but that isn't to say there aren't specific subfields that are growing (but these tend to be engineering or bio-related). You shouldn't worry too much if you're a chem major since it's a pretty underpopulated field if you exclude the people who intend on using that degree for med school. If you go onto grad school you will definitely be fine, otherwise you will have a decent level of competition.

Math is also extremely useful for business. But everyone knows that. Get a math degree and if you're actually good, you will have no problem finding a use somewhere in business (or really any field for that matter, math majors have the widest opportunities).

Economics is no different than a comms major; they end up as utterly useless clergymen who are lucky if they make above 40 grand a year (unless you get that degree at a very good school, then businesses will hire you for your input on things).

And computer science... yeah they're pretty much the best as far as opportunities and pay goes right now (with the obvious exception of medical doctors). But be careful only because it's a temporary bubble. The salaries people are making now will probably decline a bit in the future.

math and physics will literally always be good choices. you can do whatever you want if you have a math or physics degree.

Economics, CS or engineering.

Depends what you mean. Normal I'd say engineering but the job market for engineers is in the toilet right now, so if by employability you mean "will I just walk into a job where I get to apply all I've learnt" then even engineering isn't employable. But you'd still be eminently qualified for most other jobs. Likewise with Math. Phys. you're almost never going to get a job with a job title of "mathematical physicist", but you'll be quite appealing to financial services (in Britain they employ most physics grads). Computer science I wouldn't rate, again in Britain they have the lowest enjoyment rate in STEM (or possibly out of all graduates). I know one guy who did CS that ended up working in finance, he lives in the centre of London, so he's clearly earning a mint.

Really I'd say that in the current jobs market you'll be taking a bit of a risk no matter what you take. But it's important to understand that you'll be well placed by doing any of them (other than CS). If I were you I'd take Mathematical Physics and pick up some computer science modules.

After reading yet more articles in the past 30 minutes, I've decided to just go ahead and do Physics or maths. The sputnik generation is about to retire, so by the time I have a PhD, there should be a lot more jobs available in academia (if not, I'll just go into finance until then). Applied maths is always good, probably the most versatile degree there is. Happy days

>Companies have been hiring physicists at higher rates and for higher pay due to the intelligence glut forming under engineering. Physicists (especially with masters and doctorates) basically can do everything engineers can but better (much better), and they don't bring the under-qualified, self-entitlement attitude most engineers are stereotyped as having (and rightfully so).

None of the statements are correct

>engineer brainlet detected

It's mostly true. I wouldn't say most of the business world gives a flying fuck about the beef between engineers and scientists, but historically it's pretty much common knowledge that physicists do the engineers' job better than the engineer himself.

That is nice speculation, now allow me to actually tell you how it really works in the industry:

if you don't have a decent amount of relevant work/practical experience with regards to the position your resume will go into the bin as they aren't interested in spending a year or two getting you up to speed on all of the basics

They aren't paying you to do Physics

when HR goes through resumes they look for "relevant degree first -> relevant work experience -> keywords that match what they want"

>Companies have been hiring physicists at higher rates and for higher pay due to the intelligence glut forming under engineering. Physicists (especially with masters and doctorates) basically can do everything engineers can but better (much better), and they don't bring the under-qualified, self-entitlement attitude most engineers are stereotyped as having (and rightfully so). This is coming from an engineer who does the business ends of things, so I've pretty much already had to swallow this hard truth a long time ago.

Is it true? By "companies" did you mean R&D sector or finances? I'm just curious is it better to switch from physics to engineering after 4 year bachelor?

Are you implying physics isn't a relevant degree for engineering? Do you have any idea what you're talking about or are you just shitposting?

I don't think you understand what engineers do in practice if you think you can loosely throw around terms like "relevant" when alluding to an education in Physics.

They diverge heavily after freshman core classes.

More or less. You usually have to go on to grad school for a physics degree to matter more than an engineering degree, but it's completely dependent on your GRE scores.

Not really, the "skills of an engineer" that engineers use to separate themselves from the rest of STEM don't really exist, unless you're willing to count the ability to pass group, take-home exams as a skill.

Looking at the fact that modern Physics curriculum barely covers classical mechanics anymore - even ignoring stuff like modern engineering computional methods, it is literally impossible that physicists are somehow relevant in typical engineering positions.

There are niches where physicists are welcome but getting into a good tech position is often impossible for most physicists after their fancy ph.d.

You would rather find mathematicans than physicists in engineering related positions.

I guess that's true for the most part, but you're acting as if 90% of the problems in classical mechanics can't be solved by simply learning the Lagrangian equation.

Physics undergraduate degrees mostly focus on electrodynamics, which is a lot more practical since it's not that well understood compared to easier topics like mechanics.

>not studying mathematical-econmics

do you even want to make mad cash doing something that interest you in a rigorous way?

Ordered by employability:

Math
CS
Engineering
Economics
Chemistry
Physics

Someone post that pic of that guy who got his PhD in Physics and ended up dying because of what he did in his job.

Chemist here. Getting into any area of industry for chemistry will be tough without a masters or PhD (or boatloads of prior relevant experience, typically from research). Getting a BS in chemistry simply does not prepare you for the work worth doing in industry because chemistry roles in industry are typically specialized past the education level of a bachelors of chemistry. And it is only these specialized roles that will pay half-decent. Any other role will have you being a lab rat.

The fact is that chemistry has too much shit going on that they can't pack it into a four year degree and still trust you to do shit like manufacture pharmaceuticals without killing yourself or others. So you have to trudge through a PhD before you have enough knowledge to be trusted not to fuck shit up

tl;dr no chemistry

maybe chemE tho?

please provide me some info here.

entering university in the b. science.

got a lot of majors available and im going to a top uni in the country that i live in.

is computational biology a decent option? I've talked to professors b4 and all of them stressed the importance of maths/computer modelling in biology.

will this major only take me into research?

other wise here are the options that i have:

Agricultural Science
Animal Health and Disease
Animal Science and Management
Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
Bioengineering Systems
Biotechnology
Cell and Developmental Biology
Chemical Systems
Chemistry
Civil Systems
Climate and Weather
Computational Biology
Computing and Software Systems
Data Science
Ecology and Evolutionary Biology
Electrical Systems
Environmental Engineering Systems
Environmental Science
Food Science
Forest Science
Genetics
Geography
Geology
Human Structure and Function
Immunology
Informatics
Marine Biology
Mathematical Physics
Mathematics and Statistics
Mechanical Systems
Mechatronics Systems
Microbiology and Immunology
Neuroscience
Pathology
Pharmacology
Physics
Physiology
Plant Science
Psychology
Spatial Systems
Zoology

v long list but please bare with me.

i love bio but worried that pure bio is outdated. Engineering interests me but in honesty i dont know what its really about.

Research is also an interest but im not a romantic because i've seen first hand what the environment and work is like.

Top 3 majors?

>Top 3 majors?
As per best salary and potential:
Pharmacology
Math and Stats
Bioengineering

The rest do have some potential, but you really need to get at least a PhD.

Pure bio is definitely outdated, you gotta specialize on SOMETHING, and you need to do research on what engineering degrees do and what classes do they have, since if you don't like Math that much then Pharmacology might be the only top major for you.

Still, you gotta think this a lot and what you REALLY want to do for the rest of your life, or you're going to start hating yourself and most likely to kill yourself early in life.

he was probably a cuck who supports mass immigration

>Pharmacology
would that take me into industry?

This is admittedly cringey to say but im a bit of a polymath.

I love literature, history, bio, motion, tech, ect.

I like learning and one of the reasons i can't ignore research is that it seems like a career in which you are rewarded for learning.

Im aware of all the difficulties of academia but it is attractive.

I think bioengineering could be a good compromise.

I hate to ask so many questoins but what would maths and stats lead to?

Finally, is computational biology a meme then?

I can also get into dentistry, vet, med through post grad

med is also an option im considering but im questioning the balance between private life and work. Also, It seems like i will deal with patients rather than learn new areas of medicine

I'm the guy you replied.

I'm really sure it will take you into the industry really quickly, just git gud at making medicine.
>polymath
Nice, don't lose interest brah.

Ah and also bioEngy is good as well, you will work in research a lot as well but you need to research on what would you like to learn and contribute.

>I hate to ask so many questoins but what would maths and stats lead to?
Mostly on business stuff, sometimes research but everyone just goes for PhD and go for Wall St. unless they like to teach as well.
Also you can get into tech as well as a data scientist or can do research like Statistical Physics, Econometrists, Psychometricians, Machine learning, etc.

>Finally, is computational biology a meme then?
Maybe, I don't know about this that much this time, since I haven't done research about them unlike what I already mentioned.
But if you are good I think it will be fine and will work on research on universities or in the private sector.

>med is also an option im considering but im questioning the balance between private life and work. Also, It seems like i will deal with patients rather than learn new areas of medicine
You're pretty much selling your soul for a big salary, you can still have some private life but it won't be as much as other people.

Nursing and MDs don't have much private life because they don't work 40 hours/week, but if you want.
And if you want to learn about more medicine I guess you can go to PhD in something about Anatomy/Human Biology or related.
But IMO BioEngy will take the lead on this soon along with biochemistry.

Health field really seems like the future. I think the bio- majors will be a nice fit to me. I probably need to let go of med, despite the many benefits.

I will have to talk to people working in the fields as well but thanks for giving some honest info in the majors.

I think i will need to look more into bioeng, bioenergy and other majors along this line.

Thanks a lot for your help

You can still go MD, but just look at how many hours/week they work sometimes.

Yeah don't know much, but maybe /an/ will know a bit about this but it's mostly zoo guys.

IMO your options are good, especially if you really like them.

Have a good night.

>Reading University

Meteorology is useless.

>Hey guys, I have no idea of applied thermodynamics but let me solve some Lagrangian equations for you.

>Physicists
>Not having an entitlement complex

>kind of people that study it (not nerds, wannabe 'nerds' that watch The Big Bang Theory).

Dude you've overdosed on memes, you should take a break before you embarrass yourself further.

This

The delusional incels that use this board never cease to amaze me