I've just registered for NaNoWriMo

I've just registered for NaNoWriMo.

And I've made a bet with a friend that I'll do it.

Why am I subjecting myself to such fucking retardedness?

Other urls found in this thread:

nanowrimo.org/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Masochism. Definitely.

To blog about it here because you are in desperate need of a good dicking

BLOG?

Jesus Christ. Your lingo's all upside yo head.

Anyone else doing it?

I am OP
Have you ever done it before? This is my first time

>And I've made a bet with a friend that I'll do it
that you will register on nano?

Had a go a few years ago. Might give it another try, now that I've noticed the date. Not sure it's doable though, to any useful degree.

"Blog" is Veeky Forums slang, slugger. Try to keep up

That I'll hit 50,000.

Conversely, he's got to hit a 1500-2000 word short story each week. So he's got 4 small bets running.

I;m thinking about thos beans

Brit.

NaNoWriMo sickens me. There's no better indication that you really don't enjoy doing something than having to join some abstract community project that will coerce you into doing it.

This. Same reason I drive to Africa with bags of rice to hand out rather than just giving to charities.

>interacting with like-minded people is pathetic
>ignores the thousands of literary cabals throughout history that produced some of the highest quality literature put to paper

Do you think before you post? Or do you just spread your buttcheeks and flee like an animal?

There's a big difference between an enlightened clique that has joined together out of a certain passion, usually exchanging and developing ideas that they are best inclined to develop, and then NaNoWriMo, which is commercialized, impersonal nonsense that just gets you to shit out something with a certain character count as fast as possible.

Nanowrimo is exactly what you make of it. Your belief that you yourself are capable of being an enlightened and excellent writer may be true, and the belief that others may be enlightened and excellent writers may also be true. What precludes you from interacting with eachother during Nanowrimo besides one of those previous allegations being false?

>registered
why? why not just do it?

What is nanowrimo

nanowrimo.org/

write more than you ever wanted to in 30 days

I generally try to put out 750-1000 words a day. I am unsure what the purpose of signing up is. I also do think my writing is at all good enough to warrant being shown publicly. Especially the unedited vomit I produce on my current schedule.

Tried it last year. Got to around 40k legitimately, writing a metastory about a guy who dreams, and his dreams were all self-contained short stories of various genres, with an overarching theme throughout them, cuz dreams.
Then I made a jerkass move and made it about a guy who who had a dream dreaming those dreams, just copy pasting the first chapter with short synopses of the dreams he had just to get to 50k.
Would you guys read that?

>That I'll hit 50,000.

lel thats so easy

>Would you guys read that?

God no, "dreams" are a major red flag for pulp trash

actually, going to Africa to hand out the food would make much more sense: The way westerners fucked up foreign aid has, in some places, destroyed African family structure. The money was handed to the men, falsely seen as the head of the family. Said fathers then went to the city, left their families with nothing and often came back after months or years empty handed.

In short: Your post doesn't make sense and you should stop and think every now and then.

It usually takes me about two weeks to write a 60k word draft, so I think I could pull it off and still have time to edit too, but I'm already working on one book and it feels like waste of time and effort. Has anyone ever gained anything from these? Like fame or book deals?

HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUURRRRRR

>writing over 4k words a day
How? And of what quality? Honestly 4k words is a ludicrous pace even for extremely fast paced authors.

>faggot.jpeg
>image shows a nice librarian

..Are you okay? You seem.. Flustered :^)

If I have a clear idea what to do, I can go over 5k a day, though it exhausts me pretty quick. Is it particularly fast? Stevenson wrote Jekyll and Hyde (25,5k words) in three days, and they didn't have computers or electric keyboards back in the day. We have it so easy.

Of what quality? What do you think I'm going to say? Of course my shit stinks much better than yours.

>fame or book deals?

Like Water for Elephants.

Oh fuck, they even made a movie?

I am just saying that 4k a day is an outlier of a relatively extreme fashion.

The problem I have with NaNoWriMo is that it is, like almost all mainstream online writing communities, solely motivated by the production of content. They provoke their users to produce content, mostly without any care for what that content is, why it should exist, etc.

It is the information-age's answer to word-volume based payment of authors. Produce! Produce! Produce! Why? Because we need more content to sell! The whole thing is almost literally the "infinite monkey theorem" at play. Get enough people to write enough garbage, and eventually something amazing will be found somewhere in the trash heap.

Whereas the far more attractive, romantic and interesting social phenomena around creative work (artistic relationships, artistic movements, cooperation and competition, feuds, inspiration, common political purpose, etc etc etc) are not there.

It's also part of an arsenal of lame websites for young writers that offer the most watered down, saturday-morning-cartoon depiction of creativity possible. Such images are all about permitting the most growth possible for said sites.

I joined for one simple reason: motivation. I know what I want to wrtite and I am already 60 pages in, buy I lack discipline. I see this as a mere tool or excuse to be constant. I couldn't care less about the other people doing the challenge, their books, etc.

>If you need such a tool, you don't enjoy writing

Of course I don't. Writing is tedious and frustrating. It is a lot of hard work. The only reward is the result, and the only "fun part", at least for me, is outlining the plot (in the case of a novel)

Of course it's going to feel like a waste of time if you shit them out at that rate. I've done 80k in a month before and it was sloppy as all hell. Just because you can go faster doesn't mean you should unless you're dying and absolutely have to finish by a certain time.

I never considered it solely because I don't want to write a word count, I want to write a story.

The word count can go fuck itself. I started a story with the idea in mind, "I'll make every chapter 1500 words or less" and I broke that rule because I got excited about what I wanted to do for that chapter alone. Some went as high as 3000. Why would I want to write a word count?

>of course I don't
Maybe you should find a new hobby... one that you actually enjoy doing