Is reading a good way to learn a language?

Is reading a good way to learn a language?

...is watching TV a good way to make money

Of course it is, what kind of stupid question is that?

reading in another language is a good way to learn reading in another language

... which is learning a language.

The fuck? No. You have to know some of the language before reading it.

Yea, I know. I should've been clearer. I have a very, very basic knowledge of the language.

there's no reason to learn another language, if you main english. english gets all the good books anyway. as soon as somebody in one of the small countries writes a good book, first thing they do is translate it into english and send it on over. and, you know, it's fine. not bad. a fine effort. no shakespeare, but.

not exactly
it's learning a language for the purpose of reading

you will need additional practice to write in it, to speak in it and to understand it spoken

Not really. It's a good way to maintain fluency in a language you've already learned though.

'Any good I've done has been spoiled by bad intentions—the preoccupation with irrelevant and stupid things, but the worst mistake I made was that stupid, suburban prejudice of anti-semitism.'
-Ezra Pound, reformed /pol/lack

I never stated that.

Only that reading a language is a form of language learning, which it is.

All the extra stuff is your argument.

Reading makes expressing yourself in a language freely a lot easier. I started speaking English at a very decent level in weeks after years of reading books and watching shit American TV.

B8.

Reminder that the source of this quote is a pedophile Jewish communist with a long history of mental illness

You don't think that's a little suspect? Pound was still publicly supporting Italian neofascists in his final years. I'm not saying he didn't say it, I'm saying we don't know for certain that he actually did since Ginsberg is not exactly an objective source

>Any good I've done has been spoiled by bad intentions—the preoccupation with irrelevant and stupid things

Why are you sharing this? I'm obviously already aware of the quote because I've spent my last two posts explaining its dubiety.

>Card carrying NAMBLA member forgives someone for (arguable) opinion.

Of course OP. But if your goal is to speak it fluently, you should do that more tbqh.

Best way to learn a language is:

>Obsessively study the grammar
>speak to natives
>Listen to music and read in the language when you're not speaking with natives

You act like those skills don't overlap and help each other.
Reading is probably the best way of learning new vocabulary