Is it narcissistic to think of yourself as the protagonist of your life and that your life is a story?

Is it narcissistic to think of yourself as the protagonist of your life and that your life is a story?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/2rbJUuELBJ8
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

you are what dreams are made on user

I think it would be pretty hard not to do that

It's pretty much unavoidable.

no just prepare to be disappointed

Egoistic? Yes. Narcissistic? No.

It's only narcissistic when you assume someone will want to read it.

No I actually find it very interesting. It can help make sense of the ambiguity of human life through symbolism.

Hate to break it to you, faggot, but you're not that interesting.

>inb4 I'm a special snowflake

Odds are you probably are a virgin.

I'm just martyring myself by posting here so that the next post isn't cut by that edge^^

Probably, but good look finding someone who isn't narcissistic.

>he thinks having sex is interesting

Pleb alert

says the kissless virgin who has something to prove on an anonymous message board.

Your good deed has not gone unappreciated. You will be remembered my friend.

Naw,I could argue that it's the best way to think of it.

I had trouble when i was younger, feeling like a supporting character while everyone else was superior to me and led more interesting lives.

If you get it in your head you are the protagonist and that your life is your story and no-one else's you might just be able to enrich and be willing to branch out into different things.

but never forget that indeed you are the protagonist there are other characters in it and might just make your story more interesting.

the opposite would be to try to distance yourself from the You and just become and autistic robot who sees everything as numbers purely logical what drive could you have to live tough?

Not every story belongs to just one character

Not every story is representative of only one perfect consciousness

Jesus Christ those digits.

check'd

>mfw I'm not even a character in my own life story

It's actually the defining characteristic of narcissism. Congrats, OP.

i'm not the protagonist of my life story. i'm the ANTAGONIST of my life story. and it's rated R, baby.

Yes, it is a sign of great ignorance, it's a common mental sickness in most modern Americans.

Everything that is marketed towards us preys upon this, that we are all special, that we all the main character in a soap box.

We are drama obsessed creatures, we cannot live life without it. There will never be peace in the human race for we will never transcend ourselves.

Is that you, The Last Psychiatrist?

how can you transcend yourself?

Say that to my face, numale.

I think of my life as a solipsistic nightmare,an invisible prison singularly perfected as the ultimate punishment for otherworldly past transgressions

I've taken too many psychedelics and warped my fragile little mind, I could honestly write a pretty twisted short story/summary (and I have) but it'd be too humiliating to post anywhere

500ug of pure white lsd

Deep af sempai

Yes.

You're completely anonymous here, friend - at least until Hiroshima fucks up the rest of the website

yeah you really got things all figured out, huh user?

do it faggot

please

Whenever something strange happens or someone tells a dumb joke etc I always imagine it as a scene in a film and it at the very least makes things more interesting/funny to me. I'm pretty sure most people throughout history have seen their lives being part of a story.

This is the funny thing about Veeky Forums. Anytime someone says something that isn't bullshit, there's always some pretentious, self-absorbed asshole who accuses them of being pretentious.

Not him, but it is total bullshit though. He's conflating an egoistic mental tic with everything wrong with western society. It's fucking ridiculous.

No, it's not. Viewing your life as the central point of your life makes perfect sense. Narcissism is believing that YOUR story is the only story which matters, that every single human being is simply a character in YOUR story, without taking into consideration that it relies on the protagonist (or author)'s perspective.

Everyone has a story to tell, a set of individual experiences which no other human being has emulated the same exact way. Doesn't matter how dull or boring their life appears, doesn't matter how short their lives were, or how much of a failure they're believe to be.

im the guy youre responding to. you REALLY mean to tell me that me showing skepticism towards someone who claims his word is gospel is more self-absorbed, more pretentious than fucking:

>it's a common mental sickness in most modern Americans.
>We are drama obsessed creatures, we cannot live life without it.
>There will never be peace in the human race for we will never transcend ourselves.

it's fine to have a set of beliefs, but to claim them to be the absolute truth?

>Anytime someone says something that isn't bullshit

[citation needed]

Sextains, like the Hellenistic schools, developed a system toward eudaimonia. Attaining such a goal was possible

The gift of storytelling may be one of life's most powerful...

"The Net of Gems"

youtu.be/2rbJUuELBJ8

Schopenhauer, in his splendid essay called "On an Apparent Intention in the Fate of the Individual," points out that when you reach an advanced age and look back over your lifetime, it can seem to have had a consistent order and plan, as though composed by some novelist. Events that when they occurred had seemed accidental and of little moment turn out to have been indispensable factors in the composition of a consistent plot.

So who composed that plot? Schopenhauer suggests that just as your dreams are composed by an aspect of yourself of which your consciousness is unaware, so, too, your whole life is composed by the will within you. And just as people whom you will have met apparently by mere chance became leading agents in the structuring of your life, so, too, will you have served unknowingly as an agent, giving meaning to the lives of others.

The whole thing gears together like one big symphony, with everything unconsciously structuring everything else. And Schopenhauer concludes that it is as though our lives were the features of the one great dream of a single dreamer in which all the dream characters dream, too; so that everything links to everything else, moved by the one will to life which is the universal will in nature" Joseph Campbell

Jeez, get over yourself. You think you're really humble and self-aware when you're not. Sorry, bro, do I need a source for that too?

>it's fine to have a set of beliefs, but to claim them to be the absolute truth?
Ever heard of convictions, buttmunch? Jesus Christ, what a passionless gutless chimp you are! If you're not willing to die for anything, then you shouldn't be alive. There's nothing more irritating that a fence-sitting agnostic.

My PROOF that Westerners are narcissistic? I just have to go outside, go on the internet, look at the TV for a second. It's in the air you breathe, you're just too blind to see it, dimwit.

Not everything wrong with Western society.

However, a large factor in the cultural regression and stagnation of America specifically. If you live in America just keenly observe our marketing industry these days. Our culture has shifted towards empowering the self-obsessed. Our egos have been so largely inflated since the advent of social media, since we have made everyone special. Being humble in the wake of immensity is not a popular viewpoint. The only thing bigger than themselves is their God.

I read fight club too, but you're still an immense faggot.

>You think you're really humble

no i dont im being an asshole to you on purpose

>and self-aware when you're not. Sorry, bro, do I need a source for that too?

yes

>Jesus Christ, what a passionless gutless chimp you are!

dont care

>If you're not willing to die for anything, then you shouldn't be alive

spooked

>There's nothing more irritating that a fence-sitting agnostic.

Says you!

>My PROOF that Westerners are narcissistic?

i wasnt asking for proof that westeners are narcissistic. im asking for proof for all your other axioms.

>we cannot live life without it [drama].

yes we can

>There will never be peace in the human race

of course there won't, conflict is inevitable in every species. you say it like it's a bad thing.

Nice job disproving me.