School food was the best food, I never got over that

School food was the best food, I never got over that

Never had a burger as good as these types

>i've literally never eaten a burger outside of school or fastfood

I was extremely poor growing up and my parents wasted food stampsby themslves and left bare staples (saltine crackers, milk, bread, butter, and lunch meat if lucky).

The school burgers, spaghetti, nachos, and pizza were some of ths best tasting foods in my childhood.

Your taste is so offensively bad I sincerely want you to die.

My school had something called "baked spaghetti" that came in paper trays with plastic film over the top

To this day, i have never had spaghetti that tasted delicious like that stuff, and I absolutely hate other spaghetti

I've never had a hot dog that tasted as good as the ones they served at my schools in the mid 90s, they were so greasy and juicy and delicious.

That image is gaytarded

Chicken patty sandwich, mashed potatoes and gravy, carton of milk - $1.75

It was either that or a fairly large slice of pizza and a carton of milk for $2. They had other stuff occasionally but I never bothered with it

(My high school years were 2001-2005)

That's sad. I wasn't poor but damn, the dinner lady in my school used to cook really good. I used to be her favorite kid at schoom so she always gave me a double portion. Good times when i wasnt a drug addict

please tell me what that pic is im begging

Apparently it was an overcooked burger from a DuBois school. Was cooked at 170 instead of 155 and people are speculating that what that...stuff...is seems to be fat pockets that ruptured. Took 2 seconds doing a reverse image search.

ye. the ice and fat sort of do a dance and bubble/explode

it will happen to any meat with certain far content cooked with sudden temperature change

Most of Veeky Forums isn't old enough to remember before old mother Reagan reclassified ketchup as a vegetable. Prior to that, schools had a fully staffed kitchen that prepared meals from scratch.

Yes, it was "cafeteria food", but it was made with good, locally harvested, ingredients.

Tukey a la King, Spaghetti with meat sauce, Meatloaf, fresh seafood if you were by the coast.

After '82 it was all tinfoil, reheated garbage posted itt.

You guys missed the glory that was the school cafeteria.

Ya man I really envy you for experiencing the glory days of cafeteria food.

Are you in America? Just curious. Anyway, here in my country the goverment invert shitloads of money in school cafeterias, they are open even on weekends for the poor kids. They actually get the A-class food/ingredients for school cafeterias overhere. It feels good to know that all kids and the poor ones specially, are well feed

Yes, I am an American. Here, the poor kids got a bowl of oatmeal for breakfast. I used to give them my pancake syrup, which came warmed in a little ceramic vase.

American capitalism has lost it's way, unfortunately.

It's okay for American citizens to go hungry if they aren't producing an income for the state.

I went to private school. We had fare like this in the 80's. Past that though...woah boy.

the macaroni and cheese in like 5th grade was the best shit ever.

it was probably 90% sawdust and cardboard smothered in cheesefood-product flavored oil but goddamn was it tasty

I went to a private school that charged $600/month in 1995.

They charged an extra $40/month for your kid to get a SINGLE "hot lunch" per month, otherwise you had to pack a lunch for your kid, or let them go hungry. If a kid "forgot" their lunch (looking at you, Freddy), the janitor lady who literally lived at the school would make you a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.

Hot lunch started out pretty cool, like us all getting McDonalds Happy Meals, or pizza, or something special.

2-3 years in they just started hoarding the money, and the janitor lady made us all a bunch of lukewarm unseasoned "tacos," which was just mass amounts of boiled ground beef in knock-off taco shells with some lettuce.

Public school food was a revelation when I went to middle school.

>40$
>a SINGLE "hot lunch" per month
are you sure you don't mean per week? I mean I know plenty of wasteful rich assholes but even for them 40$ for a single mcdonalds meal is going to be a hard sell

>American capitalism has lost it's way, unfortunately.

It's working exactly as it was intended. Hell, you proved that statement in the last sentence.

anyone else never had cafeteria food? shit was expensive as fuck and our school had a pizza store nearby that sold slices for a dollar each

I went to a private elementary school that was pretty much the same deal, I don't think it was quite that expensive though (but I never asked either) but it worked the exact same way, my family was just poor enough that I didn't get 'hot lunch' so I ate shitty ham sandwiches packed from home every day, and if you forgot your lunch they gave you a PBJ on white bread and maybe a little apple sauce, no touching that jet's delivery pizza

fucking shit tastes

I remember the real cafeteria food. The sad warming cabinet pizza and french fries rolled out sometime when I was in elementary school. The government sure has a lot of contempt for children.

Literally the shittiest major fast food chain burger is better than what OP posted.

>tfw mommy packed my lunch

What you remember was the magic of being a child, not that the food was good. Your whole life was good back then.
Now that you're grown, jaded, cynical and depressed, food can never be as good as it was when you shared a table with people you genuinely called friends. Sadly, that will never happen again, so all you have are fading memories.

Don't know about public school plebs but the food at my catholic school tasted really good.

>bring your parents to lunch day
>my math teacher caught my parent and told em how bad I was doing
>anger and tension at the lunch that day as I sat away from my father, next to him of course, but keeping my distance and not saying much
>kids asked after why i was so far away from my dad and not talking

fuck you mr. ramirez
ruined what was supposed to be a good day for us both

when I used to eat from burger king, literally every single patty looked like this

when I was a kid I thought they secretly used octopus meat

fun to learn after all these years that they were just shit at cooking

yeah it sounds like a scam if it's true haha

even when I was ballin and swimming in money my meals averaged 15 dollars each. And that's when I ate out. What the fuck

Why would a school sell food to kids? Damn, food is free here.

>plebs
>catholic school
Pick one, f a g g o t

mister ramirez is an asshole and his wife cheated on him and he got aids from a fat man named rubio who fucked him in the ass in return for $20. He's dead now and nobody misses him. Everyone who ever knew him is happier now that he's dead.

When they went through his stuff they found out he'd been stealing money from the school for years and they donated the money to helpless children. There.

Who fucking cares? Keep your beaner soap storys just for you, Juan.

Juan, never call me that again, Two, I hate you.

Nostalgia is a powerful thing. If you grew up eating crap food you might find yourself nostalgic for it. Couple that with the fact that kids have shit taste and you have lots of adults out there nostalgic for horrible shit.

My school had some badass food. Their pepperoni pizza was good. I really miss the octagon "mexican pizza's", they may have been called taco pizza but either way, they were great. The hamburgers and hotdogs were good as fuck too.

That burger doesn't have a gear-toothed patty.

It has to have the gear-toothed patty.

that dies out pretty quickly when you learn

op just hasn't had those burgers again and think they're great, but he should make his own like a man

>that dies out pretty quickly when you learn
For some folks, not others. When I revisited some of the foods I loved as a kid I realized kid me had shit taste. Most of the foods I craved were awful. But I know plenty of adults who buy a specific brand of frozen pizza or order a specific fast food item because it reminds them of their childhood.

Italian here. I grew up in the goddamn Philipines. My school meal was some cuestionable ham on a tortilla with a glass of choco milk (70% water, 25% goat milk and 5% chocolate)

>But I know plenty of adults who buy a specific brand of frozen pizza or order a specific fast food item because it reminds them of their childhood.

yeah that probably has a lot to do with being a cheap or lazy adult more than anything else

nostalgia doesn't induce flavor or quality. But nasty adults tend to bullshit themselves so they don't look as stupid in front of others

>tortilla
>goat milk
>philippines
Liar

Tortillas are all over the globe, you ignorant cunt

>I grew up in the goddamn Philipines

Bummer

I know

>poor as fuck as kid
>single mom works at Walmart
>school has free lunch for low income students (whole school essentially)
>friends hated school lunch
>lunch was "paid" for through your school idea
>skip my class during the lunch breaks and eat during all 4 lunch periods

Good times. I got so fat in highschool between all the school food and then the Walmart deli leftovers my mom brought home. Being poor wasn't so bad.

It's also a matter of some things holding up better to adult taste than others. Kool Aid kinda doesn't cut it, but for some (self included) chili dogs still do.

Same. My dad was a taxi man, and he earned to pay law school. Hes a lwayer now, thankfully in my teenage years i wasnt hungry. Gotta dobsomething for my old school some day

yeah.... I wish there was a "buy dinner and hang out" button right about now :)

Well, its 2017 and i still buy the happy meal (for myself)

this

As an adult I unironically still drink Kool-Aid, but it's because I realized I slam back Coke because I'm addicted to the sugar, not the caffeine, and koolaid does the trick while having less sugar and no caffeine

I recognize it's still trashy and not good for me, but those sweet tooth cravings are something else, and I'm borderline underweight anyway