Hey, Veeky Forums. How much do you self-educate outside of your field? What are your "hobby subjects"?

Hey, Veeky Forums. How much do you self-educate outside of your field? What are your "hobby subjects"?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravitation_(book)
twitter.com/AnonBabble

if you entire life isn't focused at least on the subject you studied in undergrad at the broad level, you are a brainlet that will never make any significant contribution. Nobody gives a fuck about your "hobby subjects" faggot.

Your words cut deep as a goth kid, user.

What is some extracurricular reading I can do while studying biochemistry that isn't popsci? should I read research papers in my free time?

Learned everything from self-educating.

This user has a point to a certain degree.

I'm cutting down the reading that I do that isn't directly correlated to what I'm going to be doing in my field, or what I will be applying in some form or another in my career, relationships, or whatever.

Nowadays you can't really afford to be a generalist unless you're in certain roles, like management.

Outside field of cs: chemistry, psychology, biology, nutrition, current events, history, business.
Most people are very narrow-minded and too arrogant to have a wide range of "practical" intelligence. They'd have to admit their single field isn't a sign of intelligence and believing they're more intelligent than the ignorant masses is all they have.

Academia is too much pressure, I'm just gonna become a sustainability officer or something.

My work is my hobby so I study whatever I want.

But I also like homotopy type theory, general relativity, cryptography, etc.

>What are your "hobby subjects"?
english literature, philosophy, ornithology

Hobby subjects include board games and twerk videos.

Politics. I educate myself often by reading /pol/

>What are your "hobby subjects"?

Hallucinogens.
Drug induced psychosis is sadly one of the only ways I can pick up women. I can read their emotions like a book when I'm tripping (mildly tripping of course), and because of such have been able to get with a fair share of qt's. Emotional manipulation doesn't work well long term, at least that's what I've noticed from experience.

I'm a compE and I read history, law, and politics for fun

I listen to history and psychology lectures when I'm driving

Sooner or later you will fail to see the forest for the trees

Gonna start mechE so learning programming.

Will I be learning programming with Java cpp etc or just matlab and python?

Plz respond

Medfag
Know more about computers than CS students.
I also do 3D modeling and animation.

How does that benefit you? aren't you loaded with uni work?

Ah - you're one of those - who learn more and more about less and less, until you finally know everything about nothing. A "fachidiot." (that's German. Take up learning a language as a hobby)

Learn to program.

But is it really psychosis when you have a greater awareness of the real world and how to change it?

Nice baitpost faggot. Here's another (You).

>hurr durr significant contribution hurr durr
Not everyone's ideal is to make a "significant contribution" autist. Nothing wrong with wanting to learn as much about the world as you can and being fully enriched before you die. I'd rather work an unimportant 9-5 job while doing a shit-ton of reading than autistically focusing on a subset of a subset of a subset of of a topic of a subfield of my field, only to produce a few papers that literally 0 (Zero) people will read because the results are so specific that nobody will need them.

>I'd rather work an unimportant 9-5 job while doing a shit-ton of pop-sci

I'm not the guy you responded to, but this is why you're a college drop-out shitposting on Veeky Forums while other people are doing important work.
Have fun dying not having gone to your absolute limit and expanded human knowledge.

>"fachidiot." (that's German. Take up learning a language as a hobby)
you should take up not acting like learning a language makes you above someone else like a pretentious faggot

>college drop-out
I'm on my way to graduation, buddy.

>while other people are doing important work.
KEK. Daily reminder that you got a one in a hundred chance of having a successful academic career, if that. And when you do manage to produce and publish results, chances are that literally nobody will look at them outside of peer reviewers etc. Less than 50% of published papers are looked at by a single soul. So much for "expanding human knowledge." :)

>pop-sci
I guess if you regard the same textbooks you use in school as "pop-sci," sure. I'm not going to pretend that I will ever know as much about a field as someone who's laser-focused on it their whole life, but I'm not reading fucking Stephen Hawking or Richard Dawkins garbage.

>aren't you loaded with uni work?
>falling for the medschool is hard meme

I usually don't say stuff like this, but the fedora tipping in this post is unreal. You sound like a gigantic cunt.

Yeah I'm doing the same thing and graduated a few years back and very happy about my choice. I am free to study an look into whatever I want and spend as much time as I like studying it and thinking about it without any publish or perish pressure. I get to enjoy what I enjoy, whereas I think if I went the research route I'd not be able to enjoy it and I'd really have nothing to live for.

I'm not pretentious. I'm superior to you.

I think the problem is people think "Oh I'm not going to be a generalist" and then immediately take it to the extreme and only study some single thing and being just as bad. Balance is good.

Nutrition (although I am in food science)
Philosophy (always enjoyed it shame there are no philosophy jobs lol)

A lot of major contributions (if not all) in a specific field happen through creative insights. And creativity is just linking unrelated information to get somewhere nobody else has got to. So yeah, it is important not to be a monolithic autist.

Ah the old

>Autists are mentally rigid and pedantic

meme. I swear, you people use Veeky Forums to define reality for you and then complain when the reality doesn't match the bullshit Veeky Forums definition.

It isn't a meme, it is literally part of the diagnosis of autism.

Aka how to quality shitpost on sci

How can someone who has forgotten absolutely everything about math get good in geometry and algebra?

I'm a behavioral neuro grad student but I took a lot of pure math as an undergrad, so I sometimes do that in my free time since I would have been a mediocre mathematician anyways. I enjoy reading literature in the "softer" parts of psychology, especially clinical literature. It's excellent stuff for writing grant proposals. People love translatability when using animal models like I do.

I also like to read up on physical chem and theoretical cs every now and then since most of my friends were ChemE or CS.

I don't read humanities journals, but I'm very well read and enjoy learning languages. I'm bilingual and know moderate amounts of 3 others.

This nigga is onto something

I educate myself a fuckton outside of school on my subject.

My subject both at school and as a hobby is inorganic chemistry

My fields are pure math and comp sci but I study a lot of unrelated things. The last few years I've been spending the majority of my spare time getting into design and typography. I'd like to do something in the area of information design at some point as a hobby.

Me again. I'd just like to clarify that in regards to typography I meant more as it relates to design and typesetting. I'm not so much into the idea of creating a typeface myself (it actually seems like a lot of work and I don't feel particularly inspired in that area).

How much? Nothing, because my field of study is mathematics.

Sure, I like to study about economics, literature, philosophy, history, finance, etc. But those things do not fall outside of mathematics. All those things are trivial applications of mathematics.

It is impossible for a mathematician to study outside of his field. Physics, geography, chemistry, biology, sociology, human sexuality, gender studies. All of those are mathematics.

Eh, I'm kind of the inverse of the standard Veeky Forums here. I'm actually an investigator IRL, I apply scientific methods to my investigations. I give expert testimony in court about it because of how successful I've been with it.

Never went to college, do not intend to either. However, I'm OBSESSED with physics. I learn as much as I can online about it, but I get stuck and not sure where else to learn. My local library physic section sucks and is mostly pop-sci and almost all books just go over the same basic ideas of GR.

I was actually wondering, should I just buy college course books on physics (and subsequently, math) and teach myself there? I've never even seen a college course book, so I'm not sure how the information is structured. Can you self-teach using these books that delve into it more? Can the same be done with mathematics past algebra?

Understanding space-time as a self-taught individual is no easy feat. You'll need the basic, multivariable, and (eventually) tensor calculus. You'll also need to be somewhat proficient in liner algebra and abstract algebra. There is also some non-euclidean geometry that you'll have to come to terms with at some point. Basically, start with math, otherwise the physics will be effectively castrated.

I understand the intensity of the efforts ahead of me in this regard; I have a precursory understanding of GR as it stands. I know I'll need calculus to actually "get" physics, but my question is more specifically "Can I understand this calculus (and apply it) through learning it via college textbooks, absent a professor to teach it"

I believe I can, but again I haven't actually opened a college book so I am not sure whether this is true or not.

MIT open courseware has tons of introductory courses in math/science that you should be able to comprehend, maybe with gratuitous use of the pause button. Once you get into vectors with physics, there's an "Essence of Linear Algebra" course by 3blue1brown on YouTube that's mind-blowing. He's working on a similar course for calculus.

>▶
>
>What is some extracurricular reading I can do while studying biochemistry that isn't popsci? should I read research papers in my free time?
>>>
> Anonymous 02/11/17(Sat)14:25:12 No.8667529▶
>Learned everything from self-educating.

You can download almost any introductory STEM textbook online and give it a look. They're dry and usually aren't a good introduction to a field because they're overly formal. Most uni students in my experience find easier explanations of textbook materials from professors or youtube videos (forreal use youtube), then tie it all in with the formalisms to get a solid understanding.

I actually kinda prefer bland, but will try this! Thanks brother!

You seem motivated and mindful, so I think you could learn calculus on your own. Do yourself a favor and do an intensive recap on your precalculus algebra and trig. Good luck, user.

I like dancing.

>an unreal level of fedora tipping

I kek'd hard

Can't tell if sarcastic or if I've found a fellow Veeky Forums native who visits /pol/ sometimes

philosophy is the one thing separate from math, and yet you're still trying to include it

not the guy you were replying to, but I'm also a /pol/ster

You two don't sound like very happy people
This guy has a good attitude

Maybe you should.

Philosophy includes ethics

plenty of us browse more than one board
you only get the impression people dislike /pol/ because of that single idiot who yells /pol/ when people disagree with him

Not if you're an analytic philosopher dipshit.

I like to read about history, philosophy, and political science.

Why would you do that
Except maybe by morbid curiosity

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravitation_(book)

You're going to need a lot more math. For GR your goal would be a good footing in differential geometry.

I've been trying to learn as much as I can about every piece of software available at my university. There's some routes in math that i'm pursuing outside of my study, because I think it'll be beneficial in the long run. I also like cryptography, but mostly have a topical understanding as I don't really have too much education in discrete probability.

Just humanities desu.
I fucking hate EE and I wish I wasn't doing it but i'm in fourth year now so I don't want to have wasted all of that money.

whats the medschool meme?
its not actually hard or something?