Why don't normalfags know how to use this word properly?

Why don't normalfags know how to use this word properly?

I literally could not care less about normie word misuse.

why doesn't OP know about auxesis?

my head literally explodes with rage when people don't realize that language is simply a way to transmit ideas and evolves as expressions change but understanding remains the same.

They use it as a hyperbole bruh

>prescriptive grammar

I am literally dying right now.

>tripfag
>literally dying
we should be so fortunate.

This. If we were all to dispense with any useage outside of a words literal definition the brilliance of works like those of Shakespeare and others would suffer greatly, metaphor would be impossible, and thus new thoughts unthinkable. Words are the servents of ideas, not the other way around. Best not to forget that.

They're using it figuratively, brah.

because normalfags are literally braindead

>We do not have pencils since the state cut funding for education again this year.
This hits home hard.

>Words have fixed meaning

Time to read some late Wittgenstein, user.

It's a misunderstanding. The U.S has the highest public education budget in the world, however most of it goes to supporting ridiculous pensions that were promised by irresponsible politicians a long time ago.

>however most of it goes to supporting ridiculous pensions that were promised by irresponsible politicians a long time ago.

Actually most of it goes to pay college and university administrators; which are jobs that have increased in numbers like 100 fold the last 40 years.

Why do pseuds get so butthurt about it?

it's completely acceptable to use literally as figuratively. it's literally a very common rhetoric device.

look how incredible, insane, nihilistic are used colloquially

>this is what Veeky Forums has come to

Why don't anyfags know how to use the word 'apparently' properly?

This.

Also this,

And when the middle of the afternoon came, from being a poor poverty-stricken boy in the morning, Tom was literally rolling in wealth.
The Adventures of Tom Sawyer - Mark Twain

Feel free to call Twain and any author that does this a hack because you don't like language change.

>doesn't know what an auxesis is
>doesn't know the dictionary definition of 'literally'

Literally this

its true that language evolves, but normies just use the word as an intensifier, we have fucking enough of those. i would also argue that it has detracted from the original definition of the word

I literally try to use the word literally whenever it would literally mean the thing that I'm talking about has actually happened.

That way when I tell a person that I literally want to gouge their eyes out with an ice pick, and then literally peel off all the skin from their body with a razorblade, and then LITERALLY force broken glass up their asshole until it comes out of their mouth, they know that I mean it.

>proper
>word usage
pick one

>"LILY, the caretaker's daughter, was literally run off her feet."

was Joyce a hack?

Kek saving pic for ylyl

>current year
>prescriptivism

>implying linguistic descriptivism has any relevance beyond the field of linguistics

Ha

elaborate on normie

It's literally been used this way for at least 150 years. Can we please end this meme here and now?

"But there was a change in Gatsby that was simply confounding. He literally glowed; without a word or a gesture of exultation a new well-being radiated from him and filled the little room."
-Fitzgerald, Gatsby

"And when the middle of the afternoon came, from being a poor poverty-stricken boy in the morning, Tom was literally rolling in wealth."
-Twain, Tom Sawyer

"All colors made me happy: even gray.
My eyes were such that literally they
Took photographs."
-Nabokov, Pale Fire

"...there is never a candle lighted in this house, until one's eyes are literally falling out of one's head with being stretched to read the paper."
-Dickens, David Copperfield

"... a thrill went through the packed court literally electrifying everybody..."
-Joyce, Ulysses

Second, and a more fundamental point: new words are invented all the time, old meanings are lost, and old words get new meanings. this is the nature of language, it is always changing. otherwise we'd still be speaking latin or some germanic tribal language, but that's a red herring, since those languages were also in a constant state of change, and were combinations of different languages. if we couldn't make new words or change the meaning of words, we wouldn't even have language.

The dictionary definitions of words follow usage, and not the other way around. Holy fuck you triggered my autism. Please find something remotely reasonable to be upset about. You and everyone else who complains about this is a pseudo-intellectual. That derogatory term is often used liberally but I mean it quite definitely here. People who have a problem with the usage of "literally" only have a problem because they heard about other people who have a problem with it, they have not actually spent any time thinking or researching.

for obvious cases see also: awful, garble, decimate, sublime, terrific

"Verily" used to be the word for that (and "exceeding" was the word for how we use "very" today). Meanings change.

"Very God of very God" described Christ's relation to the Father in the English translation of the Nicene Creed.

I would be okay with reclaiming "verily," then. I understand the descriptivist argument here, but we need some sort of word that can effectively distinguish between literal and figurative meaning.

the party was shit
i mean verily shit

Prescriptive grammar is the absolute worst grammar desu. Language changes over time, why do so many people take pride in being so stubborn in their ways?

It's baffling whenever I see people stroke their egos correcting their grammar of others, or making cheeky comments such as,

>hurr durr learn how to speak english

I don't understand. You are incapable of knowing enough to understand this person, and this somehow makes you smarter than them?

>I would be okay with reclaiming "verily,"
It will sound flippant at best, and cringe at worst.

language evolves. deal with it