Do places like this even exist anymore...

Do places like this even exist anymore? Just average joe greasy spoons selling normal people meals for normal people prices.

Everywhere I go it's either..
>neglected, tacky asian family business
>franchise
>bourgeois management drone hell
>inauthentic "authentic" hipster shithole designed to rip off millennials

waffle house you fucking child.

Went there last night, got an all star special, with large hasbrowns smothered covered diced and peppered. Was way to much food, but damn it was good.

Most of the independent family run places like that got put out of business by chains. So independent joints pretty much had to go upscale to survive. If you can't compete with chains for the cheap market then serve better food in a nicer environment at a higher price and attract the folks who'd rather not eat at a chain and have the dough to pay for better. I wouldn't call it a hipster ripoff. It's just going upmarket to survive.

I can think of two in my rich town on long island so the answer is obviously yes.

remember the cockroaches come complementary with every order

The exist, maybe not in larger cities, but go to any medium city (under 200k) or smaller and they will be around. Ive found several hidden gems in small towns.

upmarket isnt automatically hipster.................only when they start serving your food on skateboards

I grew up in East Oakland, CA. They have lots of places like these. Usually the sitting areas are small, as they're more drive ins than anything, but yeah. You can get a nice tuna melt for 4 dollars, which is a good deal in a major metro area. One I like is "chubby freeze." A lot of them have gone out of business and been replaced by the faux authentic hipster places, though.

I live in Europe now and I miss this the most... yeah you can get cheap food here but it's never in that kind of atmosphere. It's all just tiny counters with pizza, kebab, shawarma etc or like, way too bright fast food looking places

try going to a cafe instead of a takeaway place

Yeah and they all have huge lines of imported white hipsters patronizing them now

>upmarket isnt automatically hipster
That depends on your perspective. If you put in an espresso machine, add a kale salad to the menu and get more careful about how you source your ingredients to appeal to an upscale crowd the word "hipster" is bound to get thrown around here and there.

yeah, there is a nasty one right next my office and a good one I drive by daily.

but going upscale doesn't automagically equate with kale and espresso and shit. and locally sourced isn't just a meme but a shot in the arm of the local economy

Cafés are a totally different kind of experience and the actual food you can get there is shit I could easily make at home. Like not even cooked.

I'm in Denmark, cafés serve salads and smorrebrod which is basically dark dark whole grain rye, raw greens, some dressing and some raw cured salmon (there's other meats but they're not as good as gravadlaks). I can make 5 of them for the cafe price.

>going upscale doesn't automagically equate with kale and espresso and shit.
Well you want to serve what more upscale diners want to eat. If you're serving coffee to an upscale crowd there will be a demand for espresso drinks. And kale is enjoying a popularity among that crowd I've never seen before. Also customers like the food to be sourced in a way that they approve of if they're laying out a premium for it.

My point is many of the tings a restaurant might do to attract a more upscale crowd are things that might cause others to call them "hipster".

I lived in the poconos and there was a place like this. Their milkshakes fucking sucked

There's two that I know of in my town of 40k.
Only went to one of them, I had a burger and it wasn't seasoned but my date had a breakfast platter and there was a lot hashbrowns and was good.
Other one I'm paranoid of going to because across the street is the town's largest cemetery.
That one is too spooky for me to dine, but both have been in good business for quite awhile (+20 years).

you sound like my mom user, she runs the stop sign every time she passes the cemetery after dark

Am I pretty like your mom?

> the actual food you can get there is shit I could easily make at home
>I can make 5 of them for the price.
sounds like almost all restaurants everywhere.

diners and "house of pizza"s

I think I might be blessed coming from a small Canadian town surrounded by other small towns surrounding a single city but every town has 2-3 of these which are usually some kind of Canadian-Ethnic mom and pop restaurant. A two minute walk from me is a Chinese-Canadian and a five minute drive opens up all sorts of other options.

Sorry to hear it op. There's still a bunch where I live. So rural major chains don't consider the area worthy of a franchise (minus the major burgers, cuckdonalds, burger cuck and wendy's). Fine by me, I'll take an actual meal from one of these places any day!

>he doesn't live in the northeast where diners are everywhere

Yeah, but(t) fuck Boston though.

There aren't any diners in Boston proper though. (well there are a few but they're not common) Outside the city yes

I've actually been here I think. It's that trailer diner in Worcester right?

For example, there's a Subway 6 miles from me, 6 more are all the burgers, another 30 and there's a KFC/Taco Bell and Pizza Hut, 30 more miles and you get to Applebees, TGIFridays, Texas Roadhouse, Denny's, Papa John's, Buffalo Wild Wings, etc. I like where I'm at.

wot movie?

>Worcester
You're saying "war-chester" right?

>kek. thread derail imminent.

I lived in Fort Worth for a few years and there were a ton of these. It was incredible how many choices I had and all of it was delicious. I really, really miss it.

True we still have diners in the Northeast, but not nearly as many as we used to. And the ones that are still good have gotten pricey enough to hardly qualify as cheap.

Boston is great fuck you buddy

There's one in Boston proper, South Side Diner, Kelly's isn't too far away in Somerville and the Rosebud is still there but it's serving more upscale comfort food now

Not really, I just had breakfast at one the other day, $6 for bacon eggs toast and homefries.

Why do you want to eat prole chow at a prole trough?

Old South Pancake House nigga

I'm not your buddy, pal.

Fuck you, I wanna move back so bad.

I live in a small city of like 40k people . Places like this all over the place

They're fucking everywhere. Just go somewhere that isn't populated primarily by millennials. Go where the working class lives.

I used to eat here all the time before or after work.

Whenever I've gone to one they're mediocre and not particularly cheap.

>normal people meals for normal people prices.
Problem is that food like that is usually too easy to make for most folks, atleast here in Finland where most people actually know how to fucking cook and have time to do so so the price of 8-10yorodidoos for a meal you can easily make yourself isnt appealing.
Only reason the place i work at where the food is "common people's food" is in business is because it's dirt-cheap and literally decent school-food [spoiler]note that Finnish school-food is not American garbage[/spoiler] tier in the middle of factories and such for the working class.

And the ones who dont know how to cook dont know good food anyway and instead waste their Yoropooridoos on shitty frozen pizzas and kebabs instead.

Yeah there's a place like this in my neighborhood. It dates back to when it was originally a white. I don't mean now, when it's white again, I mean before it became brown and then got gentrified. Back when it was working class whites, a fucking long ass time ago.

I went there once when I first moved here, during the early days of gentrification. The food was appallingly bad. Fake syrup (like karo shit) with the pancakes, the coffee tasted like it has been reboiled over and over again for weeks, the eggs were obviously from a powder, my friend got waffles with fruit on top and the fruit was basically just fruit-colored corn syrup sludge from a bucket with spray whipped cream on top. I almost gagged choking down the eggs. It was nothing but old people there.

Amazingly they're still there. I have no idea how they are in business. I won't miss them when they're gone, I hope it's a kale juice store. I don't even like those expensive juice shops but the idea of triggering people like the op with their misplaced nostalgia for early cold war cuisine pleases me in some way.

How do i immigrate to Denmark or anywhere else in western Europe as an American?

Plenty of diners in central florida, between Orlando and Jacksonville

These places are dying for 3 prime reasons

Smoking bans - The culture has changed. People no longer go out to these places for late night eats, especially after the bar. The response is that places have had to limit there hours

>The changing taste in food. Twenty somethings would rather have a breakfast burrito or a Greek yogurt parfait. Not a "working man's breakfast" because these twats don't need 2,00 calories to go to hot yoga and then head to the office where they do SEO or whatever.

>Competition The chain and fast food have destroyed the diner small business atmosphere. You either want something quick - gross taco bell breakfast or panera or you end up going to Ihop, Village Inn, Denny's, Perkins, etc because that's what's around.

Maybe if you live in a liberal hellhole

What town in LI? I got some good place by me too.

t.Walmart-shopping conservative

>Not a "working man's breakfast" because these twats don't need 2,00 calories to go to hot yoga and then head to the office where they do SEO or whatever.

From the looks of most construction workers, they'd do well to eat something more like a "SEO twat" breakfast

inb4 "it's muscle", no fattie. It's fat

I feel like I'm the odd millennial that's just as happy eating diner food as I am drinking out of mason jars and eating deconstructed avocado toast, probably cause it reminds me of my dad and I going out to eat together as a kid

>>The changing taste in food. Twenty somethings would rather have a breakfast burrito or a Greek yogurt parfait. Not a "working man's breakfast" because these twats don't need 2,00 calories to go to hot yoga and then head to the office where they do SEO or whatever.
Why such venom?

Because I've watched the fabric of America wear. Because I am a man who just wants to enjoy sitting at a counter, while reading the paper as I drink my coffee out of a cup that a waitress fills for me. Somewhere non ironical hashbrowns are there as well.
I'm not saying we need to bring back sizzler but someone must bring back balance to the force.

The microbrewery pub near me makes a really good deconstructed hamburger, and it's only $28 without a drink or sides.

Non-american millennial here. Am vaguely fascinated by diner food, in much the same way that weebs exoticise Japanese food. The last time I visited the states was as a kid, and I hope that diners aren't dead by the time I get around to visiting again.

>things aren't like when I was a child and I'm very angry
Welcome to life, best of luck

Teressa and johnnys in San Rafael California. Best pancakes I've ever had

Thanks! I've made it this far. Purchasing a home, so I can have proper space for a bar has been a great life coping mechanism.

I know a few. Cash only, just a guy who enjoys cooking. Probably gets his steaks from Costco, but he treats them right.

Diners are one of those American touchstones that transcends generations. Even if I don't go as often as I did when I worked at the warehouses I still find comfort in knowing that I can step into a place with napkin dispensers, red and yellow condiment bottles next to the salt and sugar shakers and A1 sauce, and a fat old waitress who just looks at you and goes, "yeah," and you respond with "two overeasy, hash browns, rye, cup o' mud." The transaction is done. No sleazy, corporate, creepy "customer service" where the menus and the wait staff pretend like they'd like to suck you off under the table rather than sell you a bowl of grits. Maybe you come during lunch or after work and grab a hot ham sandwich or the pork chop dinner (Greek diners especially always seemed to have kickass pork chops). Used to be you could smoke, too. I've never been a smoker but I grew up going to places like that and I find that restaurants just aren't as magical when there are no nicotine stains on the walls and a light haze of smoke hanging in the general atmosphere. You'd generally find average working folk, cops, truck drivers, a few drunks. Sometimes the food was pretty good, sometimes it was just average, but they were never trying to sell you an experience.

Also, don't drink out of a mason jar unless you genuinely are white trash. It's fucking uncouth. I drank out of mason jars all the time at home as a kid. If I'm at a restaurant, you gimme a damn glass, thank you very much.

IHOP pls go and stay go.

>upmarket isnt automatically hipster.

That's what he said.

>deconstructed hamburger
>only $28
>only

Diners are all over the place here on Long Island.

I'm getting the feeling we're an anomaly.

I'll take my mason jars and edison bulbs and reclaimed wood and enjoy the fuck out of it. Also, the people are friendly at almost all the diners I go to. That's half the reason to go to one; it's like Cheers, everyone knows your name, it's all regulars. Everyone on this board complains if waitstaff ever shows any emotion at all because that means they're "too friendly" because you're all antisocial shut ins

There's a bunch of diners in eastern kansas, where I live
They're all shitty and not worth going to. I can cook better eggs, bacon and pie at home. Fuck you mom's kitchen.

They're everywhere

Sometimes I go to a little diner near me with a breakfast special where you get two eggs, three sausage links, three pancakes, two slices of toast, and coffee for under 5 dollars, and their lunchtime soups and burgers aren't much more expensive

Do you live in a downtown center or something, because little Coney Islands and generic looking diners are fucking everywhere in the suburbs and along the freeways

That guy may be fat but he could also benchpress two of those mid 20s office workers

Sure he could. I'm sure sitting at a steering wheel builds pecs.