Can people here who are actually working in their field talk about what it's like...

Can people here who are actually working in their field talk about what it's like? I can't decide between majoring in math, CS, physics, or electrical/computer engineering. Everyone says something like
>don't do physics, you'll end up working at an insurance company if you're lucky, post grad positions are extremely competitive
>don't do CS we're in a bubble it's going to burst
>don't go to grad school academia is hell
>go to grad school you won't be specialized if you don't
>PhD is hell don't do it
>only do engineering if you're a brainlet and don't care about what you're learning
>don't do math nobody will hire you you need to go to grad school for anyone to care about it do you really think they're going to care about your proofs?
>lol CS is the future you'll be left in the dust if you don't go into it now

I was leaning towards physics or math, but I don't know what the fuck do to anymore. Faggots tell me something different every day.

>Special education
>Low math
>Low verbal

The blind leading the blind

do CS

it will be useful for a very long time

Right? Only production model hard AIs could totally pop the bubble.

>Faggots tell me something different every day.

So you come looking for more advise? All I can tell you is that with the way the job market is today [math] any [/math] STEM degree might be a bit of a gamble, especially if you want to work in a field where you'll apply what you've learned. With that in mind, provided you don't mind applying your "transferable" skills then doing [math] any [/math] STEM degree will see you well positioned.

>tl;dr You're probably not going to get a job in any discipline you major in, so just pick something that you'll enjoy.

I fell for a memestudy that is biomed(3 years in) and ive been hitting myself in the head for the last half year for not doing CS

dont do memeshit like physics unless you like not working lmao

this is how it goes OP

smart people
>math
>physics
>CS
>engineering

dumbies
>engineering
>CS

smart people are only sprinkled in engineering and CS, where in math and physics, it's only smart people. only do CS if you've been programming stuff since you were like 10 and want to be a really top software engineer. otherwise do math and go to grad school for applied math. you'll be way better off. literally anyone that actually knows anything about CS will tell you to do this.

there are no dumbies in math or physics. there is no incentive for them to ruin it with their gay ass "i wunna make cars 80K starting pls" and "i wunna make hentai vr games 100K starting pls" fucking niggers. for every smart person i know in CS, there are 5 in math or physics.

Hey OP, I'm deciding between the same majors.

I'm against majoring in CS because employers don't care if you have the degree as long as you have a strong portolio of work done (and with the amount of free resources online, it's doable). And if you want grad school CS, Math will get you in.

I decided against ECE/CE because engineering as a profession seems pretty boring to me (making CAD models all day) - but that's just my biases Veeky Forums take. IF I thought I'd actually enjoy the day to day work life, I'd probably be jumping down this hole though (but apparently BLS list career growth as stagnant).

I enjoy both math and physics, so I'm deciding between the two. Probably math, because it pairs well with a CS portfolio, and I can just minor in physics. But it's all interested based desu

What matters is elite pedigree. In pure science you MUST have a degree from an elite institution. For engineering and CS you can relax this to a top 50.

Some math majors really aren't all that smart if you go to an average school.

Go real world, make you business people.

there are dumb people and smart people in every STEM major you fucking retard. You just have to stick with the smart ones. There are always at least a few guys and girls that are clearly above the rest of the class, and that's who your friends should be. Dumb people are so boring.

>Low Math, Low Verbal

brainlet central?

this is the more specific chart.

I like it

>mfw my CS phd involves interfacing with neurons.

CS is so fucking potent if you take it seriously, the skills I bring to the table are invaluable to the people I work with when it comes to actually making a logical bridge between neurons and machines while also being able to do dirty work like programming FPGAs and DSPs

I know bro why you think I want to do CS

If I quit biomed and start CS by the time im finished I'll be 27 at least

not sure if its worth quitting tb h I spend a lot of time on biomeme

I started at 23, 28 now (1st year of phd)

It fucking sucked being 23 years old with no coding experience, but people stopped commenting on it on interviews when I got better at coding at had things to show

>Faggots tell me something different every day.

That's because it's a complex issue and everyone has a different opinion. If you are trying to find a "correct answer," you're not going to find it. Ultimately you will have to synthesize all of the information and opinions from other people and make a decision for yourself. Nobody can tell you what is best for you. This same general idea applies to many aspects of life, so learn it.

If you really want to do CS, do it and don't care about how old you'll be when you finish.

Think about it. If you don't do it, you're gonna turn 27 anyway (provided you live) and not have done CS.

I get that but it feels like I wasted so much time

phd-user here, you don't need a full CS degree to reap the benefits, besides you're not a freshman anymore, you've learned how to learn. Besides, CS + bio is god tier, so it's not like it's a total waste anyways

Do what you want to do. If all of those have great job prospects. Math and Physics masters degrees will basically guaratee a job in finance. You have tonnes of applications in data science jobs and if you can learn to code on top of that you'll be highly valauble in finance, software development and more.

I'm getting a physics degree because I love physics. I have no fucking clue if I am going to ever for a PhD eventually but I love the subject and I am learning for the joy of learning. Eventually I may decide to try and start my own business, I may work in finance for a short while or do something else.

The important thing is I have prospects later with this and it ultimately doesn't matter right now. I'll have an in demand degree and I am not going to be in any major debt.

You can't go wrong with Math, Physics or CS. Anyone of those is great.

I agree with this user. Do the thing that you are the best at and think is the coolest shit ever. Those degrees + no debt are all extremely good choices. Do the one you think is cooler than the rest. I'd probably choose math, maybe physics.