Why do we need extensive study of literature to be mandatory teaching in schools...

>Why do we need extensive study of literature to be mandatory teaching in schools, when the only useful thing it teaches is basic use of the English language?
>Why do we need artists and people to study arts? What do you contribute to society?
>What is the point of getting an English degree when the job prospects are so few?

How do you respond, Veeky Forums?
>bonus points for not mentioning spooks

why do people need to 'contribute' to society? the model of society as it exists now is barely sustainable or even logical. The full employement STEM neolib utopia is probably even more of a pipe dream than Full communism

360 and walk away.

>why do people need to 'contribute' to society?
Because you eat up society's resources that you didn't produce, faggot.

>Because you eat up society's resources that you didn't produce, faggot.

hence, the workers have to overthrow the rentier class and seize the means of production

I say
>haha you think I have some sort of obligation to society haha read stirner it'll blow your mind

>choose to produce goods and resources instead, under an illusion of 'contribution'
>get underpaid because I do not own the means of production and the boss sucks up all of my surplus value
>blame arts students for it

Native Language (grammar, orthography, reading comprehension, writing) + Maths are the two pillars of education in primary school and high school.
In countries like mine in which we dont speak English, English is becoming a third pillar.

In my country, I was quite happy when as a teen we finally started reading literature instead of just studying grammar.

If your approach to literature is "yeah but what material value do I get out of it" then it's completely wasted on you and you should resign yourself to never understanding it.

>the only useful thing reading literature teaches is basic use of the English language.
No, no that's just too fucking idiotic to bother arguing with. Sorry.

>What is the point of getting an English degree when the job prospects are so few?

That's why you don't stop at a BA. If you get a masters of education you can make a dickload of money at a cushy union job. There are other similar avenues to respectable middle class wealth for arts fags.

>>Why do we need extensive study of literature to be mandatory teaching in schools, when the only useful thing it teaches is basic use of the English language?

There's your mistake already, Literature doesn't teach basic use of the English language it teaches advanced use. It expands the students capacity for thought and consideration which manifests itself in all other disciplines

>the only useful thing it teaches is basic use of the English language
did somebody actually say this to you user

>when the job prospects are so few

this is why we need english education

Did it for my own satisfaction and fulfillment. Sure, I could've majored in business while at Duke and had made 6 figures, but that wouldn't have kept me as happy

>Why do we need extensive study of literature to be mandatory teaching in schools, when the only useful thing it teaches is basic use of the English language?
Because literature is the cornerstone of a shared society. If we want a society as opposed to a collection of atomised individuals, we need a common literature.
>Why do we need artists and people to study arts? What do you contribute to society?
If you believe art is an important component of society, then society requires individuals competent in the analysis, interpretation and criticism of the art society produces. Otherwise we are blind.
There is none. Studying literature in tertiary education should only be for those who are exceptionally talented and passionate about the subject matter. Ideally I would want a hard cap on the number of literature students at universities to stop the field being flooded with idiots who are auto-piloting into university and just choose an easy humanities degree.

the only people who make these arguments are autists and man-children who have no appreciate for language and think that all art is paintings and sculpture, never realizing the role that art plays in the video games they love so much.

However, humanities degrees often teach good skills and are cheap as shit to provide.

Only good answer in this thread, do what makes you happy. I'm currently doing a maths degree but wish I had chosen history which I actually had a passion for.

Read some Earl Shorris specifically his article, On the Uses of a Liberal Education: As a Weapon in the Hands of the Restless Poor.

why do we need anything

Why do you need any (You)'s?

i need you user

needed that, cheers

love this pic