Is there anything more laughable than the concept of Space-time?

Is there anything more laughable than the concept of Space-time?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tests_of_general_relativity
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tests_of_special_relativity
youtube.com/watch?v=wRsGPq77X0Q
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

This thread.

what's that OP you have a model of gravity that doesn't rely on spacetime? pray tell.

Retard crackpot detected.

Einstein and Riemann were genius. You are brainlet. Know the difference boy.

the concept that race is a social construct, or that there's no significant difference in intelligence between races

I thought gravity was just movement towards inertial voidance given the movement of a body's field.

Gravity is a bunch of descriptive stuff (very useful) all surrounding what no one has a fucking clue.

Gravity is the elephant and all we have are blind man assessments of what apparently happens "because" of gravity.

Wait till you see breaking point and begin interdimensional physics.

Serious question, what is space bending into?

>inb4 some lewd smart ass comment

I feel like people give too much physical reality to physics equations. Isn't spacetime just a mathematical construction that yields accurate predictions?

It's not.

Isn't our concept of reality just an intuitive construction that yields accurate predictions?

beat me to it

I sincerely hope you don't think that the gibberish you posted means anything

Cubic Time
>newfags do not know about my Time Cube.

There is still hope in the world. Thank you.

On an unrelated topic, I am fascinated by how the dark areas of a sunspot are hot as fuck and emitting light like crazy, but appear dark in contrast to the surrounding area. Don;t know why that is intriguing to me, but it is.

Back to your arguments about gravity....

I tend to agree -- modern physics seems way into reifying concepts on little evidence.

Sure. Your point?

Light is on a spectrum.

Physicists don't help the situation when they draw pictures like OP posted, as if reality is a sheet and the mass pushes it down

You're on a fucking spectrum.

Back to /b/.

No, as space has no properties and time doesn't exist.

It's because the sun is hollow.

And visible light is on Plato's divided line spectrum. Imagine that.

>Plato
Newton?

>Einstein and Riemann were genius.
They were emotionally retarded GUYS, nothing more, as some of you. I imagine most of you can't focus long enough to cross a street: so your opinions and words are CARELESS (without careful and caring thought and feeling), ignorant, immature and irrelevant. Someone has to tell you: because arrogance is ugly.

Given that space and time are reasonably likely only to be "concepts"--to "describe" Reality for a best-working model--it is pathetic (not laughable).
However, since everything is fluid, it's reasonable to expect that warped space and warped time would exist "in theories" and in formula. But based on my cs experience, I imagine many of math's core logic will one day be found to be fallacious: because there are always exceptions that weren't seen and so not programmed to handle. A program can always be coded better because they are never perfect: because they were written on imperfect compilers (other programs); that run on imperfect cpu using imperfect bios code (more programs). Math guys--and most people--are careless: so their math proofs are careless. And they have little verbal/written communication skill. Conclusion: Lots of nerds and geeks out there. LOTS.

>what is space bending into?
Space time curvature is a difficult concept to grasp.

underrated.

How about the fact the the theory may be wrong from the very start but here's some math to back it up.

First of all we have the concept that time is something other than a metric of movement measured against movement, as if it a dimension all of its own, able to do whatever it wants when you travel fast enough.

Then we have the concept that the literal space around us and around massive bodies is or can be warped due to gravity.

So the warping of space-time is the cause of gravity given the assumed depression in space.
Or is the gravity causing the depression?
But the depression exists because of gravity?

>emotionally retarded
multiple intelligences is a silly meme

gravity IS the curvature of spacetime. it is due to the equivalence principle which is a fundamental symmetry of the universe, which states that any frame of reference can be treated as stationary, regardless of being inertial or non-inertial.

Except that there is no proof that space bends.

Pythagoras through Plato, actually. I don't recall Newton working with the divided line.

Except for GPS satellites, the motion of Mercury, gravitational lensing, etc.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tests_of_general_relativity
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tests_of_special_relativity

Einstein was a fool, a thief, and a liar.

That's more magnetism, where two magnets seem to "attract" each other via opposite poles, when they're really just both headed for the centerpoint between them, the area of inertial voidance.

>pilot wave recently proven true, completely BTFO retards who ever believed copenhagen

how long until relativity is done in?

Making things do stuff is not explaining things. I can make things do stuff. I cannot explain them. I cannot explain how you are reading this right now. But I can do it.

It's already gone. It always takes a generation or two to prove the last generation was full of shit. And of course with that you get this generation's retards saying they finally got it all right.

And then a generation from now, they will prove this is all shit. QM? Dark energy? Dark matter? Photons? Einstein is a genius? Were they serious?

None of those confirm the actuality of space-time at all.

Light can bend due to fields, given what light appears to be.
I don't know how an orbit of a planet or several acts as a proof of space-time, just because it's not perfectly circular by our perspective.

And I can tell you there are no GPS satellites up above the planet either.

So why can't a planetary body hold the same principles as a magnet?

Serious question for anyone who has a solid understanding of GR: isn't the event horizon of a black hole infinitely far away from anything else in space? If you drop something in, won't it take an infinite amount of time to traverse the distance to the event horizon?

Isn't a black hole theoretically impossible under GR, with only objects collapsing toward being a black hole (with this process taking an infinite amount of time to any external observer) possible?

Just watch this instead.
You ask as if anyone in this thread has seen a black hole in their lives.

youtube.com/watch?v=wRsGPq77X0Q

I was asking about the theoretical construct of a black hole in GR.

That's exactly why you don't need to ask, because it's a theoretical construct by a people that have never left the planet.

The audacity of these people to even come up with math to explain it.

You're trying to explain reality in terms of your naive conception of what reality "should be" when really it's just different. You gotta start over and explain things as they are on their own terms in whatever way happens to work best.

If you actually care, you'll study calculus and linear algebra and maybe some day you'll get to differential geometry. If you don't actually care, then you won't. It's that simple, and really, it doesn't matter.

>You're trying to explain reality in terms of your naive conception of what reality "should be" when really it's just different
>Here, now go and learn some calculus and look at the universe through that lens instead
>Did you know that math is the only rational basis for understanding reality?

it's true. Math is the only field to be axiom invariant.

Here is a really stupid question. Is it possible for something to actually have nothing in it?

I understand zero point energy a little, but can we drive all of the stuff out of a box of nothing (using equipment) or is there always something in it?

Mathematics is done via people.
People are error prone.

Mathematics isn't some infallible analysis just because 5+5 will always equal 10.

If the understanding is based on false premises, be they intentional or not, then the mathematics behind it can be almost useless.

fpbp

It's a construct of a theory that predicted several significant observable features of reality, in addition to accounting for all previously known effects of gravity.

It's interesting to hear what it predicts under extreme conditions.

>not understanding axiom invariant

The point is that math doesn't depend on the assumptions you make. You always arrive at the same conclusions.

If that's what you think it takes to be a 'great' scientist, you're already a third of the way there, pseud.

It just depends on what lies outside of existence, if anything at all.
If you think of this reality as like a veil that lies over an absolute void as an example.

Except for the fact that this same theory has no idea of what gravity is, how to reproduce it or polarize it.

By that means, what good then is such a theory's analysis of a possible deep space object that no one has witnessed or physically measured?

It's exactly the opposite. You arrive at the conclusion based on the assumption you make.

It's like taking the weight of the tree without realising the tree has roots entwined deep in the ground, and coming up with a theory to calculate the exact weight of every tree based on its height and branch/leaf density without ever knowing what lies underneath the ground.

People can and do make numerical constants that are wrong, even in simple things like day to day observation.

>not understanding math and using an example of physical reality

For centuries mathematicians have suspected that math is axiom invariant, based on trying to create new axioms. They all become equivalent.

However, it wouldn't be proved until Gödel's theories, which decisively show, even with completely abstract logic and symbols used to make two axioms with nothing in common, one always becomes the subset of the other, or equivalent.

Try searching up "axiom invariance in mathematics" before replying.

Something else to realize is that math isn't a model. It's a theory.

your life

None of that matters.

What matters is the misrepresentation of mathematical constants based on something that is wrong and people taking the numerical representations as absolute.

Is you make a book of equations based all around the one assumption that the universe it infinite, then the whole things collapses when you find out it's actually finite, or vice versa.

GR predicts a lot of behavior of the physical world. That's all you can ask for from physics.

If you could explain what gravity is, it would surely be in terms of something else that you wouldn't be able to explain. At the bottom there can only be stuff without an underlying mechanism.

Preferring a theory that doesn't predict as well because it's more satisfying to you in some other way is the stuff of crackpots.

>math isn't a model. It's a theory.
Math is a modelling tool, a language in which to express your model and a set of methods with which to extract predictions from the model.

>Einstein was a fool, a thief, and a liar.
[citation needed]

t. brainlet

probably the dumbest thing ive ever read

what is it with brainlets and /pol/tards and their videos of some random crackpot speaking at a conference

It's not like theories come from people or anything.

I'm just making a suggestion that perhaps at the centre of a field (magnetic) that there could be a point of voidance, stillness.

So I take the idea that the sun could be hollow with a thin shell and thus the orbits that follow.

Now to be fair, there's some kinds of retarded you can be too stupid to manage. I think this is up there.

the concept that replacement migration is not genocide and that diversity is strength

Jesus Christ, this is the worst post on Veeky Forums

This is the worst thread on Veeky Forums. It's like all the retards have decided to post at once. Maybe its all just one guy trolling.

It's not stupid, it's just that there can be fault in the assigned values to variables.

All of Veeky Forums is just a single guy, this is well known. It's me by the way, hi.

space-time exists, and space is expanding, so does that mean time is also expanding? how does that work? this isn't a troll question, but it's too complex to find the answer by googling

Space and time are real but modeled spacetime is not

There is no time. Time isn't a dimension, it's just a metric of motion against motion.

And no one here knows if the universe at large is expanding, it may be, may not be.
Science has taken the redshift of objects is the cosmos as their distance, but the redshift is actually the age of the star/galaxy.

This is proven by the observation of several galaxies which have had almost like miniature galaxies form at the end of their own spiral tails.
The redshift from these tail-end formations have been shown to have their redshift higher than their parent galaxy, signifying that the shift in light is due to the age of the body, not its distance.

What do you think a dimension is, exactly?

> Isn't spacetime just a mathematical construction that yields accurate predictions?
No, it is a testable phenomenon.

>No one knows if the universe at large is expanding.

>.>

Um...user...the sensors show that it is indeed speeding up...

A dimension is a wave.
If you want to break free you need immense energy and destructive interference.

Once again...the mathematicians beat the god damn physicists to the punch.
I tell you they have near God tier levels of prediction.
Can we just make them a god damn floating castle already?

If time is a dimension, it's the most specialest dimension ever, in which you can move in only one direction.

to a slug, it exists in a 2 dimensional world. it can move forward, left, right, and back. but not up or down. it can move up a tree, but to the slug that's simply moving forward.

it's incredibly short-sighted and foolish to make claims like "time isn't a dimension, you can only move in one direction" when we're still a very primitive species.

4th dimension. if you place a ball on a bedsheet, it works kinda like that.

>orbits are just 4d waves

time is a physical dimension, it FEELS one directional because our perception of time is dictated by the memories and chemical reactions within our brain.

if time went backwards or just flat out stopped, you've have no means to measure or perceive it

say we found the graviton, how much do we know now?

>the concept of space and time being laughable

What do you even mean. Are you retarded?

/pol/ believes Einstein stole all his work from other scientists, and the Jews silenced those scientists that Einstein stole from

you sound like you have no idea what you're talking about. A wave of what?

well he stole his most famous equation from an italian scientist

I don't think that's quite right, but Einstein was a voracious social character, where many scientists are shy and need to be approached. So he went around and talked to other scientists about their ideas constantly, finding people who had interesting ones and could make good additions to the ones he brought them. Then he'd go and up papers in such a rush to publish that he wouldn't bother with any citations to previous published research, let alone inviting other people he discussed the ideas with to sign on as co-authors. When he was more established, he'd use his fame to go around basically getting other people to do all the hard stuff (for instance when he was developing GR, instead of sweating through the math himself, he found mathematicians and talked them into doing it).

He was a credit-grabber for sure, but he was also someone who brought together the work of others into a cohesive whole and expressed it clearly for publication. There's basically nothing that wouldn't have happened without him, but he probably moved some big things forward a couple of years earlier than they would otherwise.

That's nonsense.

what the fuck you idiot

1D is a wave? You're an idiot

2D is a wave? You're an idiot.

A dimension is defined based on the amount of coordinates required in order to point an object. 1D is a dot because you only need 1 coordinate. 2D is flat because you only need 2 coordinates (x-y axis) to identify a point. 3D is how we see it because you need x, y, and z axis to identify where we are in the world. 4D is usually shown as t and the 4th point identifies what point in time the object occurred in.

Dimensions aren't defined by how you can move in it (unlike what another idiot poster said earlier that "oh hurr durr time must be a stupid dimension cuz u can only move 1 way in it LOL" what a fucking retard), but how many coordinates are necessary to describe a point.

Is it fuckin amateur hour here today?

That's bullshit. All the physicists of the time corresponded with each other and bounced ideas off each other, and they still do it today. He didn't steal anything, many people were just working in the same modes of thought. Einstein was the one who put all the pieces together into a correct formulation and interpretion.

You're either a really bad troll, a fucking idiot, or both.

His "annus mirabilis" papers were notable for their lack of citations.

Having worked in the patent office, he was acting in the spirit of patent applicants, who at the time were mostly rushing to stake claim to ideas that were emerging from the zeitgeist (community work, unguarded talk among people who weren't thinking tactically about self-benefit, obvious next steps from what has been established so far).

He saw how people who successfully got big patents acted, and in the same way he acted to position himself to reap the benefits.

>He didn't steal anything
He maneuvered to claim a disproportionate amount of credit for the product of the zeitgeist.

Retard crackpots detected.

Einstein was a genius, and without him you would be working manual labor in a coal mine (where brainlets belong to). Hell, you'd be even more brainlets (if that is even physically possible) because most of what you know and/or made education cheap was telecommunications (which we can thank Einstein for).