Tell us about your work. What are you writing about or have you written? Who were your inspirations?

Tell us about your work. What are you writing about or have you written? Who were your inspirations?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=jMXNuaDZ068
thestoryofthewhos.tumblr.com/intro
twitter.com/AnonBabble

It's not much of anything rn, but I'm working my way through a satirical hip hop musical about two white, upper-middle class kids who are personally offended by Hamilton's massive success; "of course," they say, "the first hip hop musical to get so successful is about white people and white history." So these two kids decide to write an "actual" hip hop musical that "properly defines the black struggle in America."

I have difficulty finding enough disicipline to start writing seriously.

I have probably composed some 50 poems this year - mostly sonnets - and yet all of them have been created in a 'nothing-better-to-do' kind of mood. I have never actually seated on a chair to spend 8 hours a day working on a sonnet in order to POLISH it.

I was thinking of doing in on my two-month vacations, but apparently they will be spoiled due to some courses I will have to take. I wish I was a Literature student, so I could dedicate my life do it, but my family has forced me to study Law.

At any rate, by the end of 2017 I hope to have translated the whole of Guido Cavalcanti's Rime into Portuguese.

Been writing seriously since 2013. I had a few failed projects before then but I decided to actually put my mind to it after my honeymoon. I wrote four novellas in order to warm up to the main event. They were four interlinking stories based in a pub. Very sophomoric stuff in retrospect, very purple, very easily influenced by whatever else I was reading at the time.

After that I spent eighteen months writing a bildungsroman. I'm proud of it and I've been submitting it all this year (to praise, but ultimately rejections) but I don't hold out much hope of it getting picked up at this point. Again, I was struggling with purple prose and after a few drafts I ripped out an absolute shitload of what I thought was 'good' writing at the time.

My latest book, which I should have finished next week, strips all of that purple flowery stuff back completely and gets down to the story. The only thing is it feels a little bit flat now. My previous attempts were at literary fiction but this is more of a mainstream, contemporary effort. Iain Banks writes Breaking Bad, only probably a lot worse than that.

I wish I had your willpower. Unfortunately, I can only write very short pieces. Even when I tried to write a narrative poem I couldn't get past the 100th verse or so.

It's the same with everything. If I read a 500 page novel, I either finish it as fast as possible (2-3 days) or I start losing interest.

I'm probably sick or something...

I am writing a massive "novel" about a story I have been imagining since I was 7 years old. It's the same continuity, same world. came out of my autistic habit of imagining trees / buildings as huge cities and fortresses and space battles taking place around them, mostly when I was bored at school or dragged with my mother shopping. Called the two races at war "whos" and "lice" at the time because I had no better ideas.

I am 22 and I still imagine this. Things in my life became analogies to the story. Journeys I made in real life were epic quests in the story. Defeats in real life were defeats in the story. Many of the characters' deaths coincided with something real.

The plot is not very good and due to the names of the races it is not even publishable. I have the artistic skill of a 10 year old yet I mostly want to get as many of the images in my head onto paper as I can.

As for writing, I started writing up this story when I was 14, realized I hated most of the technology in the story as it was bad Star Wars ripoffs so I edited a lot of it. Only wrote about 2,000 words in that first attempt. Started again when I was 17, I am now 22 and I have written 334,000 words (for reference it is 558 pages of 12 point Times New Roman with 1 inch margins). It is fragmented as hell, as I would "peck away" at the massive bulk of story material available to work on. it contains pretty much every cliche I can think of -- "chosen ones", zombies, massive sci-fi wars, long sieges, cheesy romances, etc etc. It'll never be any good yet i feel this autistic drive to work on it anyway. I'll probably leave it behind when I die along with my box of drawings, like Henry Darger.

Could talk about my characters, different parts of the story, etc. forever. They grew more complex as I got older. Felt like my alter egos, to the point where I badly missed some of them when they died. I've never told anyone about this story, of course. It's sad that my greatest "accomplishment" has to remain a secret. I've told my friends vague things about the characters but left out the autistic details.

I've written some other stuff, too, which might have a chance of being publishable, but I can't find the motivation to work on it like this.

The only thing I'm writing seriously right now are a series of video games, but I've gotten tired of explaining them because they aren't simple.

Writing is what I want to do with my life, so I just do it. Who knows? Maybe someone will eventually pay me for the pleasure. I've got my research all set up for my next book, so maybe the third novel is the charm.

keep up the good work user, it's worth it most when it's the hardest. I responded to you in a /crit/ thread before, at the very least you can blog it or self-publish. There's lots of far worse stuff out there like on royal road legends. I checked wattpad out of curiosity and found a anime fanfic that was just characters going back and forth and it had like 20k views.
I want to do that someday. Writing game design documents. It's good to read them before you write them, the hard part is understanding all the shit programmers can and can't do for me. It's more like technical writing than creative writing. I suggest checking out some technical writing online college classes, those helped me think about how this is supposed to work.
My game idea is about a tower rpg where you constantly have to get to the next tower. Going into a tower just reveals another huge open environment with another tower, and there are towns in each tower. I want it to be very progression based, so you start out as super weak and annoying and you can't reach the next tower until you do well enough in combat.

Recently did a short erotica about an anime character where the protagonist though he hypnotized the destitute character but she's just actually using him for his money. I didn't realized I wrote it like that until the end though, then when I reread it I realized I was implying something entirely different from what I was writing about. It's just implied.

Started work on my first novel yesterday, right now im just creating a timeline of events, got the beginning, ending and 3 major events in the middle so far

Having fun

I write dialogue for Brazzers videos that have some thematic element.

How many different ways can you write "fuck me harder"?

Infiltrate me with fury

may i ask how old you are?

Sure, I'm thirty.

I majored in Computer Science, took courses in game design, and have taken technical writing, so I can probably ok.

Seventeen thousand four hundred and five

Thanks man.

> I checked wattpad out of curiosity and found a anime fanfic that was just characters going back and forth and it had like 20k views.

This makes me sad.

I'm actually in the process of making comics in the vain of Allen Moore or Neil Gaiman however visually I've taken a more eastern approach (think berserk). Id like to release them as individual web comics with over arching and convoluted plots unlike most web comics that just read and feel like Garfield strips. Its a really ambitious and maybe stupid dream but I'd like to be the first innovator that has ever really done this (at least in the west) and maybe I can inspire others to do the same

I was surprised looking at the kind of things that actually get published in 'indie' western comics outside of capeshit and the gigantic web comic empire. I used to think manga was just a japanese thing, guess not. I suggest you read this, it's a western wuxia. The author just ran around his city selling it until he got a publisher interested.

If you haven't think about going to /co/, they have lots of web comics like what you're talking about. Just off the top of my head is Order of the Stick and Gunnerkrieg Court.

Bump to keep a good thread alive.

Been writing since I was 15, so like 6 years from now. Only write about my life, it's a personal diary.

I'm making a short story right now though. Using my own development as inspiration, I'm using a character that survives a suicide attempt, reflects on his room about the situation and then gets out. Trying to make it existentialist, having the character dismiss everything about his life as having no purpose and rejecting what's been given to him as useless and/or harmful, just to try once more to find purpose.

I never attempted suicide, but rejecting what's been taught to me and finding my own answers has been a pretty big thing in my life, and so has been trying again and again. Glad I'm finally writing fiction about this.

Writing about an old Hungarian ex-SS who, in his youth, drunkely beat his children and wife fanatically hated jews and blacks, just like his own father had, and the effect this had on his eldest son. Many years later, now that he is elderly and his wife has passed, he has changed his views on the world, but his son has grown to be just as abusive and racist as he was. The idea was to explore the old man's regrets and his attempts to change his son, to stop the cycle of abuse and hate, and the son's feelings towards his father and what happened to him.

Writing a lot of poetry, and am finally where i am able to write 'publishable' i think.
I'm interesting in writing a fantasy novel that references fictional works and then writing those fictional works and putting them at the end of the book like a glossary of sorts. Maybe 'fragmenting' some of the older works.

I'm also working on some long form poems as of now that I'm pretty excited to work on.

I'm writing a medieval fantasy story currently. Inspired by Carl Jung, Franz Kafka, and the STALKER video game series.

I did a bit of writing during high school. Completed one story freshman year and started a few others the following years. Kinda stopped in college. Most stories I thought up I tried to make into comics as I was studying art.

It's now many, many years later and I've gotten back into writing. Currently I'm working on what I want to be a series of short stories set in a fantasy world focusing on a shopkeeper in a town for adventurers. Part of it has been inspired by some D&D games I've played with friends and another is wanting to translate some of the weird experiences I've had dealing with customers in the retail jobs I've been working in the last few years.

I completed the first short, an introduction of the main character, and I've got basic ideas for the next couple of shorts down the line. Still trying to come up with a good name for the whole thing though. I'm shit when it comes to titling stuff.

>Inspired by Carl Jung

Which story isn't inspired by Carl Jung deep down? People literally write archetypal stories all the time without knowing they are doing it.

I'm writing YA modern fantasy.

There are werewolves.

Well, Carl Jung's idea of the Shadow specifically.

how does one get such a great job?

feels weird when everyone's writing stuff similar to what i write/want to write, with about the same influences, all with the just in my freetime, but who knows maybe it will kick off to pro level...

*kill self*

>Well, Carl Jung's idea of the Shadow specifically.

Very interesting. I hope you post it here when you have some of the work done, I'd want to read it.

A narrative poem about an immortal woman looking for a way to kill herself. I'm struggling to make it realistic and I'm so much of a perfectionist it takes me hours of work to find a verse I find decent.

I think everyone's like this. It's why you want to be a writer, it's also an awful feeling when no one sees or likes your work.
I've found that titles are really useless to start thinking about until the story is done. I write a post-cyberpunk web serial short fiction and I try to name every arc that way after I've finished and it always turns out satisfying then.

>Iain Banks writes Breaking Bad, only probably a lot worse than that.

Still sounds pretty good desu

why must this thread die so fast

There was a /crit/ thread up for a week yesterday. 'If we meet again, it's fate,' I like to say that to myself. After all, just bumping a thread by yourself is no fun.

>Iain Banks writes Breaking Bad

Sounds pretty interesting honestly

Your post itself is pretty fascinating, user. The story of your relationship with the characters and your attempt to write a novel could make a great book if you focused on that instead. I always wished I could read Darger's "History of My Life" just to get a glimpse of what kind of mind would write and paint sprawling works of art that loosely reflected his life.

I plan to start writing something to that effect. I did make a youtube video about it:

youtube.com/watch?v=jMXNuaDZ068

It's really long and my voice is not the best. But it sums up the story up until where it was two years ago (the initial fall of Sarengarth). I cringe hard listening to it, partly because so much of it is badly written. I probably spent about 40 hours making that video. I would like to create another one with better art (which I have plenty of) just telling the story. I just hate to link it to my own life too much becauase I feel like it would hurt the narrative integrity of it.

That said, I probably will make another video someday. Hopefully shorter. Mixing black&white drawings of real life, with my colored illustrations for the in-universe events.

More Veeky Forums-related, I wrote out the story here:

thestoryofthewhos.tumblr.com/intro

It tells the real world events that inspired the in-story events, linking them together. I've revised it a lot and I'm still not happy with it, but whatever.

its shit

And, Darger is a huge inspiration of mine. Just what the guy accomplished is fucking incredible. 9 million words... most of it insane rambling. I would love to see an outline / summary of his story, or even a download of the text, but I doubt that exists. Poor man.... wish he'd existed in the time of the internet.

Not planning on finishing in a month, but I do have an idea that I've already started working on.

I'm kind of taking the structure of Cloud Atlas---alternating stories set at various points in time and place throughout history with different characters that all echo each other---though I want to change the form by making each chapter much shorter than what you see in Cloud Atlas.

The entire premise is about the conflict between free will and determinism and people endeavoring to change their circumstances. These are the four stories (I think four is enough?) that'll make up the narrative:

>Brazil, 1814: A narrative of a slave revolt in Bahia through the eyes of a Yoruba slave (Boluwatife) and the Gabriel Cardoso, the son of a sugar plantation owner who's engaged in an incestuous relationship with his sister
>St. Petersburg, 1905: A young worker in a textile mill, Valya, and her finace Ilya, a laborer at the Putilov Ironworks, are caught up in the Bloody Sunday massacre
>Tokyo, 1999: Miyahara Mamoru, a graduate student at TokyoU, kidnaps his terminally ill girlfriend, Kogane, from the cancer ward and takes her on a grand excursion of the city
>The Sol System, 2101: (not completely made up my mind on this one) Either deals with a mutiny on a spacecraft or, more likely, a small mission manned by transhumans and AI that ends in failure

Each novel would be written in a slightly different style, with the Brazil narrative taking influence from Romantic writers, the Russia narrative from Russian literature, the Japanese narrative from Japanese, etc.

The "climax" of the novel is Kogane's suicide, which is followed back-to-back by short chapters in rapid succession of Ilya being killed by Tsarist troops, Cardoso and his sister being murdered by the slaves, and something in the space narrative, kind of like how Requiem for a Dream builds to a rhythmic series of successive climaxes.

The Japanese narrative will be the most sincere and simplistic in style, both because most Japanese lit is written sparsely and because as it's the core of the novel I want it to be the most immediate and striking.

I've written maybe 20 pages thus far and getting through my research for the Brazil and Russia narratives but I think this is something I can actually write and finish. I'm shooting for 100,000-150,000 words.

Thoughts?

I'm writing a medieval fantasy story currently. Inspired by Dungeon and Dragons, deconstruction of a genre, and the dungeon crawlers .

Working on this poem, critique me.

When the whole world is breaking
It's a-bangin' and crashin'
And you can't keep from shaking
But outside you're laughin'
Folks know (but never make known)
With the face that you're makin'
That you're lying and crying inside of your bones.

They've all seen it before,
Painted in your expression,
When what raps on your door
You were close to forgettin'
But you've gotta stay sharp
'Bout the things you're regrettin'
'Cause folks don't like when you moan and harp.

I continually start and stop the different projects I'm on until I finally hit a wall, get bored or come to the realisation that what I've spent hours writing is shit. I've started writing a theatre production that I am currently writing with enjoyment and passion. Who knows what will happen weeks or days from now, though.

Be sure to title it 'Song of...' or 'Ballad of...', since it has a lyrical feel.

Thanks my dudes. It's basically an attempt at writing a story with lots of weird, interesting shit in it. Give the literary agents something to keep them reading, you know? It's got drugs, guns, death, an utterly mental DMT cult, a secretive drug cartel, and the partial collapse of civilisation in the north of the UK. If I'm going for gripping I might as well go all the fucking way.

Father passed away, lost interest in playing noisy rock, dropped out of work and school.. now I'm writing again for the first time in years and living off of money I don't have.

Don't know about influences.. I'm reading Sasa Pana and Plato atm.

I have been thinking about a story for some time now, its about a man who ends up in the middle of a war between gods inside a cathedral.
The gods are all trapped inside the cathedral for various reasons and everyone wants to have control of the building, which is currently ruled by an archangel. The archangel gets eaten near the end of the story btw. I was thinking about adding some sort of symbolism : the cathedral is the human mind and each god represents a different ideology.

I donĀ“t think it is a good idea, what do you think Veeky Forums? Is this worth it?
Sorry for any mistakes, I am not a native speaker.

George saunders