I've got an interview with SpaceX for Propulsion/Avionics engineer

I've got an interview with SpaceX for Propulsion/Avionics engineer.

Can Veeky Forums remind me of some fundamental concepts to brush up on regarding fluids/propulsion/avionics?

Other urls found in this thread:

sciencemadness.org/library/books/ignition.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

The fire essense of wood is separated from the earth essence when it becomes too hot and the earth essence becones uncomfortable.

Da fuel sauuze in da big tank go to da big coney shape fing were da ignishon sause lite da fuul nd da big flame cum ut da bottom.
Da big nose thingo on da end ov da big rocket do da aeruodinamik nd help cut da air.

Newfag

fluids are otherwise known as liquids and have the same properties and characteristics as water.

however the fluids you will be working with can catch fire, in fact it's your job to make sure they catch fire.

you do this by squeezing the liquid into a tight space and then spitting it out

try doing it with your mouth to get familiar with it.

>SpaceX

Just tell them how much you enjoy taking them sweet, sweet government monies. They'll love you.

useless

Explain briefly how a rocket works and tell me how to make one more efficient

M° = pAC

not all fluids are liquids.

>Explain briefly how a rocket works

Fire shoots out the back, pushing on the Earth to make the rocket go up.

>and tell me how to make one more efficient

More fire.

Bigger Earth.

The second may not be practical, but I'd not bet against Musk making the government give him money to pretend to attempt it.

>working for spacex
get ready to kill urself

Diet coke and mentos

You know what OP? I'm going to give you an interesting resource, even if I think Elon Musk is an insufferable fuckhead. It's the history of rocket fuel and spaceflight. If it isn't immediately relevant, then it will at least be interesting and give you something to talk about. Very good read, even for someone without a strong chemistry background.

sciencemadness.org/library/books/ignition.pdf

Holy shit I just downloaded and opened this and it already looks awesome. Thanks.

Bigger Earth, yes very good.
Good use of Newton's laws.

Action = -Reaction
F = ma

Bigger earth means more mass to push on, so a greater force. A greater force will also be applied to the rocket, in the opposite direction with equal magnitude.

what the fuck

"Fluid" describes its motion. Which is why lava is fluid but not a liquid.

But, it looks so fun!!!

but then there is more gravity with more massive earth.

OP listen up
Do you know the rocket equation? It's actually pretty easy to understand and explains a lot. dV is basically how far you can gk
You can directly see how efficiency is increased. You can increase the mass ratio which just means you have more fuel per rocket, or you increase the exhaust velocity.
The latter is really important. In the end simple conservation of momentum dominates and no matter if you have a chemical, nuclear or ion engine, the exhaust velocity determines how much you get out of your fuel.
Many things have an influence on the exhaust velocit such as the engine shape, the mass of the exhaust particles (lighter = faster) of the general power of your propulsion system.
Exhaust velocity is not thrust! Thrust is pretty much only relevant if the rockets acceleration isn't significantly larger than the environments influences, mainly gravity.

Yeah, so there's a greater force pulling on the rocket.
And for every force there is an equal and opposite force.
So that means that the driving force (pointing with the rocket) will be greater.