What is the best masters to break into the field of machine learning after an undergraduate degree in mathematics...

What is the best masters to break into the field of machine learning after an undergraduate degree in mathematics? Good old computer science?

Other urls found in this thread:

research.fb.com/people/graham-benjamin/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

A masters in machine learning.

Either computer science or computer engineering.

Also, maybe statistics. With a heavy programming dose.

They are not offered around here, a masters in CS with some additional statistics and data courses are the closest I can get.

Thanks!

Is there a lot of competition in ML now or in the near future?

Obviously AI

Statistics is important, but I wouldn't suggest majoring in that if your overall goal is ML/AI.

>Is there a lot of competition in ML now or in the near future?
There's probably going to be a bigger push for it in the future. It's definitely not a dead end job (or field), and you will most likely find a good job coming out of college.

Meme studies

You'll be a shoe-in

Stats + algorithm + programming.

u realize machine's can't learn right
don't know why these nerds can't just name their fields properly

You do realize human brains are just biological machines right?

on the other hand, you are right, it should be called something like "abstract fit theory" or whatever

what's the best bachelors for this route, math?

what about cs/stats?

No. Machine learning sounds way cooler.

Statistics

Human brains are far more than just machines.

Descartes pls go and stay go.

If you want to do machine learning... find a masters program in machine learning

Statistics if you want to be important. Comp Sci with large focus on big data if you wanna be a machine learning engineer aka code monkey.

Machine learning does sound like something a redneck would call getting a degree in CS/CE though

>that faggit went off to school for some machine learnin'

Yeah, I am pretty sure that Arthur Samuels was a redneck.

Why the fuck would computer engineering be good for ML?

Yeah, I am pretty sure you don't understand jokes

the Machine learining expert at my Uni was a Mathematician, he now does AI research at facebook

research.fb.com/people/graham-benjamin/

Machine learning is ghey.

i lold thank u

i suppose though my probably wasn't with the machine part but with the learning part

problem***

Machine Learning is all statistics, doesn't matter if you know how to program if you don't even know your basic probability.

>Is there a lot of competition in ML now or in the near future?
It's one of the biggest meme fields right now. Every idiot is going into it because of it's "cool" name

this

need a petition to change the names of these meme fields literally every retard that plays portal ends up in machine learning/artificial intelligence slowly buying all the retarded names for things within those fields like "neural networks" thinking they're really on the verge of creating something with any sort of intelligence

>statistics
that's not how you spell linear algebra and cost function minimisation

Thanks

Are you in Machine Learning? Could you tell me about it?

I have taken a course in mathematical statistics and am strong on stochastics, is stochastic calculus used? Ive not seen much of that past Ito. Would it be enough if I tack on some more advanced statistics courses from the mathematics department?

But I am going into it with a fairly math-heavy background, I am hoping to not get stuck as a code monkey. Is that a right assumption?

I thought it relied heavily on statistics as well, like data in general does?

Thanks for all the replies so far.

No die thread pls

Dhdhdh

Machine Learning is not just deep learning. And even for some more in depth understanding of deep learning you should know your shit in statistics.

>le totally absent moderation, cannot be bothered to enforce the sticky, let alone the board rules

As if this thread is bothering anyone. Half of this board is calculus questions and memes, I dont see you posting this in all those threads?