What makes russian literature so god tier in comparison with the literature of most other countries...

What makes russian literature so god tier in comparison with the literature of most other countries? Wasn't Russia historically considered some backwater country full of uneducated peasants in the rest Europe? What is it in russian culture that made it able to produce such good writers?

They were very self-conscious of Russia's backwardness, for sure, but Dostoevsky in particular considered it an entity apart from Europe with it's own spiritual destiny, so his work, being isolated from the fashions and whims of the day, has aged much better.

Their fiction focused on a lot on common folk, rather than just the aristocrats and the elite.

They have literally nothing else to do and they cant go outside without dying and all other hobbies are a waste of valuable calories

I don't into Russian, but it could have something to do with the structure and style of the language itself.

Along a similar vein, I suspect curiosities in the German language like the particular syntax and ability to build words together is partly responsible for the amount of influential German philosophers.

I could be wrong, and it could be totally cultural though desu.

We're off to a good start with people who have no idea what they're talking about posting completely incorrect things

So why are Russians good at writing?

>they were self conscious
>dost thought russia was america
>therefore it aged better

do you even read what you write

I just finished Crime and Punishment today and Dead Souls a month ago and I agree. This shit is done so much better.

>Russian literature
>God-tier in comparison to other countries
>He actually means a 40 year period of Russian literature and 3 or 4 authors
>Is 19 years old and has read less than 10 books.

Oh, this thread again.

lol this

yes it was a very short period, one can say it lasted for a good 150+ years atleast but ended in the 20th century.

Whether or not a country is viewed as a backwater country by other countries does not have much to do with the quality of art in the country itself.
That being said, Russia was not considered a backwater country at all. Russia has always been a country full of intellectuals, the first country in space and won 2 world wars.
I also believe that every country in the world has great literature and it is only a matter of exposure whether you learn of it or not.
Unfortunately the educational system in most western countries is quite biased towards western literature. Leo Tolstoy and Fyodor Dostoyevsky are internationally renowned as some of the greatest novelists in modern history. Do yourself a favour and read them if you have a chance to.

P.S. I am German.

t. Dmitri Dmitriyevich Dmitridov

Russia lost World War 1 so hard it led to revolution and civil war.

>Niggers know less than 10 Russian authors
>Niggers don't know a single thing about Russian history and think Bely's Petersburg is about a city in the US
>Think they are qualified to talk about Russian lit

The Russians are/were a spiritual and collective society.

Well, those 3 or 4 authors are better than all authors in the rest of the world. One of the reasons, Russian existentialist literature aren't individualist. I can't name a writer that is better than Dostoevsky or Gogol. Shakespeare might be articulate, but his themes fall flat compared to those two writers. The same can be said for Arseny Tarkovsky, he excelled at making transcendental themes that are totally untouched by western poets.

I take it you're referring to 1840-1880? Outside of that period you have Pushkin, Checkhov, Gorky, Bulgakov, Solzhenitsyn, and maybe Nabokov if you count him as Russian, and that's just a few of the big names. I'm not trying to argue that Russian lit is ostensibly better than any other country, but those are names outside that period who are deserving of merit and have been pretty influential.

>spiritual and collective society
Russians are very individualistic.

this

t. Ivan

True
Though there's no such thing as "russian literature". Most all "russian" nobels in the 19th century were frenchmen

Wtf are talking about? They were French spoken, but not French.

Russian was always technologically backward and the vast majority of the population were serfs. Although there was always an intellectual and cultural elite as with other European societies.

As suggested before, I think the importance of the Church in Russian society is one of the key factors and resulted in the spiritual and philosophical depth of many of the great writers. Also, the novel holds a special place in Russian culture and it's not hard to trace the influence of successive writers.

As stupid as this sounds there's probably some merit in it.