How did you get into literature, user?

How did you get into literature, user?

Gateway genre fiction books when I was a lee child.

I always liked good books in HS, in a very casual way, but only got really into it when my depression went 200%

Tried to impress hipster girls in high school by appearing cultured and then accidentally became a patrician.

someone on /lgbt/ recommended infinite jest

A sense of insecurity in high school that led me to seek validation by reading intellectual-sounding books that went over my head. At least now I can make more sense of them.

Hi there!

You seem to have made a bit of a mistake in your post. Luckily, the users of Veeky Forums are always willing to help you clear this problem right up! You appear to have used a tripcode when posting, but your identity has nothing at all to do with the conversation! Whoops! You should always remember to stop using your tripcode when the thread it was used for is gone, unless another one is started! Posting with a tripcode when it isn't necessary is poor form. You should always try to post anonymously, unless your identity is absolutely vital to the post that you're making!

Now, there's no need to thank me - I'm just doing my bait to help you get used to the anonymous image-board culture!

0w0

RL Stine

You and I both, user. What books did you read on your onset?

I started reading existentialist shit, and it sunk me even further into depression, which in turn led to me reading even more, perpetuating in a vicious cycle.

I liked evangelion and then I liked lain and then I liked (and still love) Utena which lead me to the classics when I wanted similar stuff with less emphasis on plot.

As I had no friends during childhood, my parents would buy books to keep me occupied during the summer months.

My Daddy read good books to me when I was 22

Realized during my junior year of highschool that I always enjoyed reading but never pursued it seriously outside of school. I asked an english teacher for recommendations and he suggested I read Lolita, Invisible Cities, and The Crying of Lot 49. I wonder how my life would be different if I had asked someone else for recommendations.

I'm a loser who needed to fill his life with stories because I didn't have friends that could tell their own.

your teacher is based (and bold...)

me exactly

I fell in love

I bought Dubliners in an airport bookstore when I was ~13, it was the only book in there that I'd heard of. Read it in one sitting and continued from there.

I grew out of YA shit and wanted to get into reading again, so I picked up philosophy.

Read Moby-Dick in high school and really enjoyed it. Also found internet communities full of interesting and creative people who enjoy literature and that's what relaly helped me get into it. Also the work of Harold Bloom helped a lot.

>Also found internet communities full of interesting and creative people
Oh actually I ahte all of those people now though b/c they're SJW and I'm redpilled LOL

I read a little here an there all my life. I enjoyed non-fiction stuff mostly, and still do, but I liked sci-fi and fantasy when I was younger. Today I can't read much of it at all. ASOIF was a recent exception (a few years ago still).

What got me into Veeky Forums was when I started reading books recommended to me by girls I was dating, and /pol/. /pol/ suggested the way of men which was a terrible book, probably one of the worst I've ever read. One girl suggested some book by Malcom Gladwell about 10,000 hours which was also shit, but not quite as bad. Then one Russian qt got me reading Never Let Me Go, which wasn't bad overall, but the ending was terrible. I think I loved her, and I still think about her often, but I told her I didn't like the book and we never went on another date.

After that I read some really good books recommended by Ryan Holiday. Even after 2 years on Veeky Forums those books still hold up as quite good. But I needed other sources of suggestion, and eventually came to Veeky Forums and started reading the top memes.

At first it was something like this After some time reading and realizing I am boring and bored loser, mostly it turned out to be like this
Vidya and movies are shit, anyways.

>Vidya and movies are shit, anyways.
How do I get this mindset, user?

Which books were those?

Depression usually decreases interest and motivation, my dude. Maybe you were just really sad? Anyway, what books did you read most often?

I think these sorts of things happen to a lot of guys. Me included

Never been on that board, but for some reason I can imagine them being weirdly erotic patricians whose lives would be suitably interesting enough to be good authors.

Nice.

At least you're patrician?

Are you blind?

You should thank your Teacher

That's not a real reason though is it?

>dubliners in an airport

sure

What kind of philosophy are you into?

what internet communities?

I'll add to this that I always did best in my English classes. Sadly I fell for the STEM meme when I went to university.

Different user, same sentiment; it just comes with depression. Reading is a good way to be dead to the world without taking up my Remington Retirement Plan.

I can't say that I grown up out of it. You don't have to drop it completely if you wish so, find some niche ones. After some time you will notice that default FPS/RTS/whatever games don't captivate you anymore, and the only thing is to find something even more niche. Games rarely provide that opportunity. At least that was for me. Nothing bad if story is really thought-provoking.

I like this girl who studies English Literature.

Used to read some books before I got addicted to dota. After 2500 hours playing dota I gave up and now that I got plenty of time I spend it chasing her, trying to get my life on track and things seem great so far.

>2500

That's over 14 weeks of nonstop playing. I've been on Veeky Forums for some years now, and I doubt I've come close to 2500 hours, let alone 1000.

Veeky Forums's Veeky Forums. This board will always hold a special place in my heart.

steam counts hours when you are inactive too, i think i have 1500 hours of dota counted while having played less than 100-150 games

>/lgbt/
>tripcode
no surprise

English was my best subject so I've always loved reading.

With writing, I lost an editing job at a newspaper. During that depressive period I wrote something that was completely broken, went away for a few years, then decided to commit properly. I'm submitting to literary agents now.

No. I'm just lonely and wanted to pass time

Murakami

My mum took me to the library every fortnight from the ages of three to nine.

Start 'em young.

Since my main passion was always music, I got tired of always listening to the same shit. Found pleasure in cinema, but there were so few movies that I liked thoroughly, also suffering from horrible attention span. And then I picked up Master and Margarita due to some school task and it left me in ave. Then I read other classics of russian literature, which led me to exploring their influences: Voltaire, Hugo, etc

when i was four i have read a book of children's poetry and since then i like literature and poetry :3

it happens as waves for me. i go through long periods of not reading but specific books in my life have revived my love of literature:

- phantom tollbooth
- starship troopers
- the windup bird chronicle
- the ice palace

>read 1984 and Dorian Gray at school
>came here to discuss those two books
>got mercilessly bullied and called a pleb
>decided to prove Veeky Forums wrong and become patrician
>became addicted to reading

Thanks, Veeky Forums!

I always enjoyed reading, but in my childhood I read, you know, firstly some books for children, then books about Indians, travelling, animals, then I would read science fiction and fantasy books. After some time I got back into it, I was around 16 I guess, and I wanted to feel superior, and also because it all started to interest me. So I got on Veeky Forums and started reading, and I realised that I really enjoy reading, and that literature is really a great thing.

I read because I just really enjoy reading, it is a great way of entertainment for me, as well as a way of learning new things. While reading I can live in an another world, I become the characters and the world. Another thing is that I don't really like watching films, they bore me, I haven't watched even one in a long time.

Wow you are a serious pleb

What I say to others: Read a lot as a child and continued that habit to the point where I knew that's what I wanna do with my life.

The truth: I read like 3 books a year and honestly I just wanted to fuck my HS literature teacher. She was young and my type so I went for it. There weren't any girls my age I liked so I figured: Why not? She kept giving me books to read. I went through them in a few days because I had nothing else to do. When I wasn't "motivated" enough she gave me shitty young adult books with lots of sex, some of them about infatuation with older women. She knew what she was doing. Half a year passes and she signs me up for a competition. She says the last few books she gave me were part of that. I had to write an essay and complete a worksheet. I won it and she kept signing me up, she asked for essays "for her own enjoyment", short-stories, the like. A year and a half passes and at this point I really like literature.

Around that time I watched The basketball diaries with a drunk slut at a died down houseparty and she asks if I write too. I said yeah and she later took my virginity. I realized some girls are into the hedonistic and suffering writer type. What do I do? I start working on my writing and live up to my stereotype. In no time I was that artsy hipster dude who reads and writes a lot and spends the rest of his time drinking and smoking. I did all of those. I've always been into hipster music anyway so I just went with that too.

I keep flirting with the lit teacher, she's hot and cold, sometimes reciprocates, sometimes not etc. At this point I'm no longer afraid of dying a wizard because lifestyle, so I don't sweat it.
I graduate, go to college to study literature, and I occasionally write for smaller papers. That's where I am right now. Might be able to get a "guest-place" at a big name if I'm willing to get into the subject of politics. The teacher just hit 30 so she's still fuckable. We still keep in touch, so I might even completely my task and high-five my 15 year old self in the mirror.

I know I went for a certain stereotype and forced things, but I feel like I made it conform to my true self so I can call it my own.

TL;DR: Because pussy.

>she later took my virginity
>no longer afraid of dying a wizard

Do you even know what that expression means?

Which one? Am not from anglosphere.

>growing up, family always gave me books to read
>read throughout my childhood, but eventually kind of drop off during high school
>fast forward to college
>freshman year roommate was reading a book by Hemingway
>tfw I've never read him before
>roommate lets me borrow the books

And that was how I rekindled my drive to read. Four years later, and here I am shitposting on Veeky Forums about books I read.

Fuck, on CRT, brightness is fucked, didn't notice quote.

Yeah, I know. I was pushy about fucking my teacher because I was afraid of dying a virgin. I was no longer afraid of not attracting women, so I wasn't as pushy with the teacher anymore.

I was mainly a non-fiction and HS-required-reading scrub until I found Veeky Forums and read Infinite Jest and Pale King over a summer.

Do you even know what that expression memeans

my backlog of anime,games and tv shows was empty so I went for books

I was always the ugly, lonely kid.

I lost my faith and read to compensate. It helped.

i listened to audiobooks
till at one point i realized not everything has audiobooks

>Maybe you were just really sad?
Nervous breakdowns and intense desire for suicide isnt "just really sad" in my opinion, nor in the one of my ex-therapist, along with long time apathy, lack of meaning, derealization, etc
I started reading in the moments I didnt feel like complete shit and didnt have anything better to do
In HS I used to read whatever my teacher told us to read
I went to a private HS so the books werent complete shit, I remember reading mio cid, 100 years of solitude, pedro paramo, niebla, catcher in the rye, the odyssey, romeo and juliet, stuff like that
But I was a real slacker during HS, so didnt really appreciate reading like I do now, I was way more into music.

nice, my main passion is also music but is easy to get burned out sometimes, specially in an age when music is so... easy, for the lack of a better word.
Listening to music while walking aroud is still the best feel for me.

Hi there!

You seem to have made a bit of a mistake in your post. Luckily, the users of Veeky Forums are always willing to help you clear this problem right up! You appear to have used a tripcode when posting, but your identity has nothing at all to do with the conversation! Whoops! You should always remember to stop using your tripcode when the thread it was used for is gone, unless another one is started! Posting with a tripcode when it isn't necessary is poor form. You should always try to post anonymously, unless your identity is absolutely vital to the post that you're making!

Now, there's no need to thank me - I'm just doing my bait to help you get used to the anonymous image-board culture!

Don Quijote and Brothers Karamazov

But the phantom tollbooth is actually good

the truth is much better
why do you tell that faggy lie to others

This is one of the best pepes I've ever seen, and I've been browsing r9k on a regular basis since its modern "loser" culture got started circa late 2010/early 2011. I have an above-average knowledge of pepe, even by Veeky Forums standards.

Anyone else start reading after quitting video games?

There is a very limited amount vidya and after I felt like I had played all I was interested in I started reading.
That was 2 years ago and I'm still a pleb.

>video games

new year's resolutions
but luckily somehow got from modern bestsellers to real classics

>backlog empty
I envy you user

But same feeling here. I was burned out from all other mediums of entertainment

Dad gave me 15$ per book read for a while

I be trippin' when I please, thank you very much.

I didn't get into literature, literature got into me!

I started browsing Veeky Forums out of curiosity and boredom

How did he know you werent scamming him

>long term
my mom is a poet, grew up around books. reading was held in high esteem.

>recently
stumbled into Veeky Forums from trad threads in /pol/, have migrated away from trad and started reading again

Is this the blog thread?

I basically did it to get close with my neighbor's 12-year-old daughter.

how close did you get?

I was living in a hammock and working a sign spinning job with a sign too big to spin. Eventually I decided to just lean against my sign and read all day for ten dollars an hour. Now i'm on my way to a linguistics ba.

She's carrying my child.

how old is she now?

implying she didn't cheat on you with a chad

Why would she do that? She's thought of herself as my wife since she was 14.

nabby would be proud

cheating is a well-known behaviour of wives

Not mine.

She hasn't.

he told me to get on Veeky Forums
:-)

That feeling when a girl as pretty as this will never smile at you in this way.

you never know, user. maybe some day :)

You're right user. I'm just being negative. Halloween has depressed me. I hope your Halloween was a good one.

i did some reading, listened to the misfits, watched a horror film, and did some drinking. pretty comfy day. what did you do?

Healthy family relations

>have dad with several classics
>could not give less of a shit to them
>start reading harry potter
>get really into fantasy shit
>think asoiaf is the best thing in the world
>go to college, meet cute girl
>realize she is patrician, read a ton of Veeky Forums's beloved meme books
>want to read the classics
>remember that, years ago, my father donated all those books because I told him I'd never read them

Now I'm buying all that shit we once had. I found Veeky Forums looking for recs. Too bad that patrician girl rejected me. We are still friends, though, and help each other in parties and shit. I really enjoy talking to her about literature.

I fucked a teen in a library doggystyle. After that I was a bit tired so I picked up greeks and stopped being a pleb.

>be unhappy loser
>start browsing Veeky Forums and soon start lifting
>time passes and be slightly less unhappy loser
>body getting stronger but mind is dyel, need to exercise my brain too
>start browsing Veeky Forums and soon start reading

I don't know if I'd do either if it weren't for Veeky Forums. So t-thanks

>let alone 1000.
>some years
you probably have more than 1000

>pretty

I had no friends as a kid, got bored, read Redwall, some nonfiction, garbage fantasy, still had no friends, started to like reading, developed a sense of intellectualism as a defense to my horrendous social standing and inability to find a connection with my peers, read Plato, Plutarch and stuff in order to sound smart, didn't really understand anything, stumbled on to Nietzsche because I was cringey as fuck and he provided a justification for my disastrous personal life, got to Dostoyevsky through a mention by him and realised the difference between classics and pleb entertainment. Then I read more Russian masters and became a patrician.

Almost me, except I started lifting before I started browsing Veeky Forums.
Of course, the lifting I did before I discovered Veeky Forums was absolutely retarded, no insight on the subject of traning og nutrition at all.

I resort to books when feeling low as part of my avoidance issue.

This.

>old hag
>pretty