Have you ever cried while reading a book? What was it?

Have you ever cried while reading a book? What was it?

My diary desu, several times actually.

my diary desu, i could really relate to the main character

WHY DO I EVEN BOTHER
WORST BOARD

i cry quite a lot
most recently at a small good thing by raymond carver

Certain scenes in certain books always make me tear up. Usually supersad stuff designed to pull at the heart strings. I can't really think of a specific example right now, though. Sorry.

I got a little choked at the end of Halo: Ghosts of Onyx.

Here's an actual reply OP. The parting speech Alyosha gives to the schoolchildren at the end of Brothers Karamazov made me tear up

at the end of vargas llosa's conversation in the cathedral. i dont even remember the ending now.

I was going to say this. I think one other time in TBK as well, but I've forgotten which. I'd also like to add in the Iliad, Don Quixote, The Idiot, and Fathers and Sons. I'm forgetting a few others.

Don Quixote.

The end of The Power and the Glory really got to me.

>reading The sailor who fell from grace with the sea
>part where Tzukazaki leaves Fusako for a tour
>just before, I said goodbye to my then girlfriend, she was leaving to studya a semester abroad

Cried like a bitch on the bus to school.

This, mostly from laughter

/thread

The Sorrows of Young Werther.

I was hopelessly in love with someone who did not share my feelings. Looking back it was a very dangerous book to read at that time given my over-sensitivity and the state that was in. Had I a gun I think I might have followed Werther's steps to the fullest.

The latter half of Flowers for Algernon made me tear up a bit. I've never full out cried because of a book, though.

I cried reading the last chapter of Stoner.

Thus Spoke Zarathustra

this

c&p horse dream

I cry reading most books

sweet catharsis

That horse dream was fkn excruciating holy fuck. Recently listened to a podcast on C&P and the topic of the horse dream came up again. That shit fucked me up

I didn't cry but I was fucking devastated for days afterwards. I knew it was coming, the whole damn book was his life, but that didn't lessen the impact.

To contribute: I got quite teary at the end of Kestrel For A Knave.

teared up when Orr tried really hard to get Yossarian to fly with him. :'(

It was beautifully written passage about the last dieing days of someone and having lost a
relative recently in brought up a lot of emotions of that time.

>Kestrel For A Knave.
I haven't read that but might give it ago if you would recommend it

the end of Lolita

In the first circle - Solzhenitsyn
Illarions conversation with his wife. The story of Spiridons family in the same book also made me sad.

When Akaky Akakievich was robbed.

Ah yes, the apex of cuck-lit.

pic related

So long old man.

Final page of Ulysses

lmfao @ niggaz cryin at the end of Stoner

fuckin cac bois i sweatertagawd

The only acceptable place to cry at in stoner is when Edith takes their daughter away from stoner (when they used to read and hang out in his study).

I explained why the end upset me but yeah that bit is sad as well

Stoner
The Remains of the Day
Wuthering Heights

Not sure if I shed tears but these I remember as emotional.

This. TBK is a must read

Mrs. Dalloway. The last scene of Septimus and Rezia.

Yeah I'm crying most of the time

Last time was Voyage in the Dark when Walter refuses to see her anymore.

I recommend it. It's actually a kid's book but that doesn't detract from how upsetting it is.

I was very naive and young. I have changed a lot ever since I was fifteen.

LotR. Everytime.

Lolita made me cry several times.

The Metamorphosis.

When Gregor is looking through under the door at his family eating dinner.

cried at the end of The Road. I was like 16 when I read it though.

Watership Down, but I was a child (still chokes me a little though

The end of te Mortal Engines quartet, when Mr. Shrike learns that everyone is dead, tells the people he's a remembering machine, and starts the story.

Fup, when the ducks take him away at the end ;_;

i cry easily, art is good

I cried reading The Phantom of the Opera

Once there were brook trout in the streams in the mountains.

I didn't cry but good god my fucking heart.

Fuggg watership down

Cried like a bitch at the end of Of Mice and Man

this too

>tfw the end got ruined for me by some cunt in my class

One of the detectives is reading the autopsy report of a little girl and finds out that she had multiple heart attacks from fear while being raped and murdered even the burned out detective is devastated by it

The Æneid, with the death of Dido in Book 4.
I didn't think I was consciously touched, but I must have been affected unconciously.

Yea this. Not particularly religious myself but damn...

One of Dubliners' short stories
&
FWTBT

Stand Tall made me cry like a little bitch a few times.

The end is sad.

I cry when reading many recipe books, the barbarism of chopping onions always gets to me.

Don't do that

how does this make you feel

Best love story.

Also, Suttree.

I cried a bit when Ralph Touchett died

Apathetic, someone's always going to get their panties in a twist about something. It doesn't affect me or my experience of the book.

The last story in The House at Pooh Corner.

Utterly devastating. I know loads of people who stop reading the book to their kids before they get to it. Not so upsetting for kids, but a big problem for adults and perhaps particularly parents.

Giving your entire life and happiness to your wife while she takes it all and throws into the shithole makes you a misogynist pig.

Wuthering Heights I think.

anna karenina

and i thought gogol was funny

I've cried a lot while reading books.

Oblomov comes to mind

any books with more than 600 serious-themed pages always almost make me cry

plenty of times, last one was probably No Longer human, very suddenly after reading "I want my real daddy back"

I don't want to start any drama, but unironically Night by Wiesel

The ending of "Disgrace" by J.M Coetzee

This. I didn't think it was that common.

Anybody cry when Edmond learned about his father's death in The Count of Monte Cristo?

I force myself not to cry, but I could have easily when I read that.

Yep.

Off the top of my head I'd say when Odysseus's dog died and when Marmeladov died.

Ironweed by Kennedy, Gilead by Robinson, unironically It by Stephen King, So Long See You Tomorrow by Maxwell.

Ah fuck man, I single teared at the end of the book when He asked for David Masters

I forgot to mention this, but yes.

Lolita is the funniest book I've ever read.

Like thise user I also tear up when Marmeladov dies. Argos's dead also got me, though I didn't quite cry. However, the book that absolutely destroyed me was Under the Volcano, particularly the end.

FUCKING THIS

what is this pussy ass thread? books are for enlightenment, not crying like a lil bitch.

Haven't you found enlightenment in the experience of sorrow?

It's not quite a tearjerker, but the ending of The Sea of Fertility tetralogy left me so devastated I wanted to cry, but I couldn't.

Kensuke's Kingdom

Only looking for alaska desu

Sure, but you are still a cuck and no one will take that away from you. Chins up.

The Old Man and the Sea

Me too I teared up when he was reflecting on his death bed. Books that go through the whole life of a character and end with their death tend to affect me .

others like this?

In 6th grade I was reading a Magic The Gathering book, and an antihero died, and I remember feeling empty all day. I don't remember which one; there's no way for me to accurately recall, even with google, at the moment. I simply remember the fucker dying in an arena.

Other than that, I've simply not read something that's given me a strong emotional purging in a while. Not memorably, anyways.

Gravity's Rainbow

Far Tortuga

The Crossing

Cities of the Plain

Austerlitz

I think that's it.