Just got this cutting board for $4, it looks pretty decent, seems to be in good shape...

Just got this cutting board for $4, it looks pretty decent, seems to be in good shape, no cracking or anything like that. If I oil it am I good to go? Should I sand it down first even though it doesn't look like it needs it?

What is it made out of? I wouldn't sand it personally. You'll have to finish it with something like beeswax after.

I've got no idea on the type of wood sadly, but it's end grain, and quite heavy.

and i've got this stuff to rub on it.

1) Start a fire with applewood
2) Place cutting board on top of fire on raised platform
3) Leave for 24 hours
4) Wa la

I did this with my board. It's hardwork keeping the fire going so take a day off work to season your board. Your welcome.

Don't do this it makes mustard gas

It might be pine. I'm no expert by any means, but my brother makes and sells end grain cutting boards at festivals and farmer's markets. I would slap some of that stuff on it, but I wouldn't bother sanding it for now.

>I would slap some of that stuff on it, but I wouldn't bother sanding it for now.
Sweet, that was my original thinking as well so that's probably all I will do unless something comes up to warrant otherwise.

For basically $5 im well pleased, my previous end grain board was about half as large (though rectangular not circular)

DO NOT DO THIS

Applewood contains a lethal toxin called "applefetamine" that can lead to stomach cancer and/or loss of vision if smoke gets into eyes.

methapplephetamine is no joke
I breathed that shit in once and it turned my lungs black for a day
I got apple lung real bad too, where you spit up black loogies that look like apple seeds

get that fucking meme out of here

Don't need to oil that particular board; it's ready for action

No, it looks much too close-grained to be pine. And pine is too soft for a good cutting board.

Dollars to donuts it's maple.

it's got nice wood feet as well.

And like I said, it's a nice heavy bastard.

I was thinking maple, but I also thought maple looked lighter. Also, isn't it more expensive than pine? I've seen pine cutting boards before though I prefer good maple, myself.

So how did you get this for $4 anyway? If it's maple then it's probably worth 50-100 depending on the size

thrift store

And the blade in the first picture is a 10" wusthof classic if that helps give size reference.

About 2" thick.

Maple or pine, you got a god damn incredible deal. If it's particularly heavy for its size then you definitely have maple. Oil it up every few months and wash it by hand and it'll last you a very long time. Nice knife too.

Sweet, sounds good. I have a smaller rectangular end grain board already, but it's probably about 16 years old at this point, so this will be a nice upgrade.

I honestly got lucky, I saw the mexican lady who worked their stocking shelves and saw in the bottom of the bin was a wooden board, so once she set it out i snapped it up within 15 seconds. Couldn't believe it was marked at only $4 so it was an instant purchase.

>he feel for the wooden chopping board meme

I chop mine on fiberglass. Easy to clean,easy to cook!

>OP, your knife is worth more than everything in my kitchen!

Nice. I got my cutting board at a garage sale, the previous owner had set a pot on it and burned a bit circular mark in it. I sanded it off and oiled it and that was the best 5 bucks i ever spent.

This is an even better deal though man.. congrats.

can you take the feet off? i'd try to get rid of those.. thats fucking stupid.. makes parts of the board worthless - can't cut on them without the stupid thinking rocking... why!?!?

I don't think you need to do anything besides wash it.. is it finished with a food grade sealant? if so, i'd sand it till its raw wood.

>can't cut on them without the stupid thinking rocking... why!?!?
Actually the feet are dead even, doesn't rock at all when i cut some onions on it earlier.

I think his point is if you put pressure outside the feet it'll flip.

That was indeed my point exactly. If you ever try to debone a turkey on that thing it will tip over 100 times no matter how heavy and thick that wood is.

If you want it to be a show piece, keep the feet. if you plan on actually using it, the feet are just going to make the board less stable.

Well it's got screws in the feet so they should be simple to remove. And it only really has ~3" on 3 of the sides that are areas prone to tipping.

Plenty of workspace in the middle that doesn't have any of those issues, so I can't imagine it would be a problem unless you're working on something very large.

Indeed. It's a personal preference. If I were just going to be making the ol' choppa choppa on some fruit and veg, I probably wouldn't worry about it.

I usually butcher directly on my countertop anyway because even if i did put it on a board, it'd slip off and hit the countertop and i'd have to clean it all anyway... might as well only clean one or the other.

I have a granite counter top so I avoid cutting on it if I can.