Give me ONE (1) good reason why I shouldn't break up my noodles before cooking them

give me ONE (1) good reason why I shouldn't break up my noodles before cooking them

For every noodle you break, an Italian Grandma slips and breaks her hip.

So you wont be considered a faggot

Because you are not a child

Don't feel bad, I break them too. Who wants to flip spaghetti sauce on their shirt because they are eating 12" noodles

it creates mustard gas

No fucks given, OP.
When I was 14 I saw some korean guy cutting his tomato sauce spaghetti into pieces before eating it. Changed my life. I never bothered with the spaghetti spoon ever again. Italians are SHIT at eating utensils.

Because your family might want longer noodles. Cut them after you serve your bowl.

who the fuck cooks noodles in tomato sauce.

Not valid reasons

your pot is big enough

its like you want me to break them

my mom made a dish she called "macaroni in tomatoes juice" and it was broken in half spagetti cooked in boiled tomato juice

i don't know if she made it up or what

That was Chef Boyardee, my man.

People who like flavour.

nope. i remember the giant can of tomato juice specifically

Because it doesn't need it? Just let it soften in the hot water.

Is there any reason to even boil spaghetti?
Why not just throw it into your tomato sauce on the stove and cook it that way and also infuse it with the sauce at the same time?

the starch muddles the flavor of the sauce. however, if you don't care, you can totally do that.

then break away you underage faggot

Because it makes the noodles shorter?

IDGAF how you care to eat your pasta, though.
Eat what you want.

people who don't know how to italian properly

Why would anyone do this? Half length spaghetti you can't twirl with your fork nor can you easily shovel into your mouth. It's pretty much worst of the both worlds.

>noodles

Well you're a fucking mouth breathing moron anyway, so do whatever you like.

Wait there are people that don't cut in half before putting it in the water?

If you just put half in at first and then let it soften so the whole piece is in the water, won't your spaghetti be cooked unevenly? Maybe my saucepan is just tiny

are you actually retarded?

It only takes a few seconds to soften enough to bend in the pan.

20 seconds out of 8 minutes.

Maybe it's because I'm in Australia but I've just tried it and it took easily two minutes to become soft enough

Let your water boil first

It was boiling you dickhead, it took 2 minutes to become soft enough to push in

>I'm in Australia
there's your problem, you tried to cook them up side down

larger pot, also the ends that arent in from the beginning basically get steamed, you wont even be able to notice the difference between both ends even if you wait til they slide in by themselves

Pot too small? Too many spaghs bunched together?
Were you even trying?
You have to bend them, not just let them bend under their own weight.

Italians don't do it. Chinese don't do it. Japanese don't do it.
So many peoples whose cuisines are deemed among the best in the world have developed long noodles for a reason.
If you can't see it, either you can't cook or you can't eat.

Also And just fyi, I'm italian and I do break spaghetti, depending on what I'm making.
1/5th to 1/6th length spaghetti is perfect for thick soup pasta, like pasta with lentils or beans.

Why not just buy pasta better suited for it then?

Because it's unnecessary. Do it if you want, but don't stand there and tell me 'I HAVE TO'

Are you from Cape Breton; my mom did that shit too. It was revolting.

This.

Acadien?

wow, great post. deep, insightful. really adds to the thread

>macaroni in tomatoes juice
>is actually spaghetti
serious question: is your mom retarded?

Not this.

it literally doesn't matter, only /co/ is triggered by this. break it, don't break it, it all winds up the same on an eating utensil

And that's where you are a faggot.
Pasta it's like a blank sheet where you impress the flavour of what you're cooking.
That's why you cook pasta and its choosen ingredient in separate pots, and then mix it minutes prior to serving.
If you cook pasta directly in the sauce you'll get uneven times of cooking of the spaghetti, resulting in a shit pattern of consinstencies, you'll muddle the flavour of the sauce with the starch naturally released from the pasta, and a real fucking mess in general.
This not counting visual, that is really important in food. Freshly made pasta with a nice bright colour and a fiery red spot of sauce with a leaf or two of basil. Now compare it to red-greysh mud with slippery noodly things in it. What would you eat?

What a rascal

Current amount of reasons not to break up pasta ITT: 0

Why would /co/ give a shit about cooking pasta?

Care to elaborate why you felt the need to start this thread if you had already decided you wouldn't accept any answer other than your own?

Kys

Today I learned that Japan can take over Italy just by changing their ramen habits

Wtf, noodles? the name is "spaghetti"

Italians do it when it comes to eat "pasta e fagioli" or other pasta where you actually cook it directly in vetables or legumes, like a soup.
those are particular type of dishes tho.

But not directly in sauces. spagetti have to cook in salted boiling water, then strain it and adding sauces.

Yeah, seems that way. I'm going to keep doing it

Because you'd never enjoy this moment of blossoming romance

because you can never wrap the ingredients in a saucefull nest of spaghetti like pic related .
i'm italian i'm sorry for my english but at least i do not broke my spaghetti

Read the thread, there are literally no reasons for not doing it. I'm not even the OP.

You can do that with spaghetti broken in half with no problems

Either your water isn't boiling fast enough or you're trying to cook a pound of spaghetti at a time. Whenever I do it, my spaghetti bends slowly into the pot the very moment I insert it and push down. It takes a maximum of 20 seconds to get it fully submerged, even in a pot as small as a quart/litre.

Snapping your spaghetti changes the texture. With full length spaghetti, each mouthful has a thicker, fuller and ultimately more satisfying bite to it.

Correct!

>not cooking in broth

does it actually taste better?

Not only that, but the temperature required to boil pasta is much higher than the gentle simmer most sauces need. Pasta cooked at too low a temperature becomes a sticky, mushy mess.

>calling spaghetti noodles

Noodles are what you get from the chinkies

Knorr Chicken Stock Potâ„¢ makes your pasta taste better, than salt. You should try it.

no but my mom lived that way for a time maybe there is where she got it from

I can't listen to him say that without cringing

The things which give broth its flavor aren't as soluble as salt, so I'm not sure if they'd impart much flavor or if the pasta would just absorb plain water, leaving a concentrated stock.

pic is spahetti, not noodles

>spaghetti isn't a noodle

not that user but I don't understand why breaking noodles equates to childishness. do parents make a big deal out of breaking noodles when cooking for their kids and not breaking them when only cooking for adults?

Get ready for the noreaster tomorrow. stock up on watery tomato noodles

hey fellow cuck bretoners

>do parents make a big deal out of breaking noodles when cooking for their kids

Yes. Young children sometimes have problems eating long noodles without making a big mess so the parents break the noodles to make them easier for young children to eat.

huh. I always just did it so they fit in the pot. but then I don't have kids so I don't spend a lot of time being concerned about what kids do.

Europeans always boast about free healthcare so why should it be my problem?

>I always just did it so they fit in the pot

You're supposed to boil pasta in a fuckhuge pot. The higher the ratio of water:pasta the better results you get. If you have to break the pasta to make it fit in your pot then you're using too small of a pot.

or maybe the pasta is just too big... and I need to break them in order for them to cook evenly

maybe I don't want to go out and buy a pot the size of my car to make pasta just to prove I'm a grownup

You shouldn't be buying it to prove you're a grownup. You should be buying it so your pasta has better texture when you prepare it.

Not to mention a big pot like that has countless other important uses in the kitchen--making stock, soup, deep-frying, etc.

If you wait like 90 seconds, the longer pasta will soften and the water will take it all in. It's not work. And it isn't like you aren't going to avoid the pot entirely, because you will stir the pasta in the beginning anyway a couple times, past the sticking point. Get some water flow in there. Moving those noodles down into the water isn't much different.

When eating longer noodles, they wrap around the fork tines better, so you get a clean mouth entry, without too many floppy edges flinging sauce along the way. It's great to have noodles that wrap all the way around your fork in a tight little ball, not several loosey goosey short ones that could exit the tines and hit your plate again and splatter a shirt between plate and mouth.

Or you can just push down on the pasta as your putting it in, resulting in fully submerged pasta in around 10 seconds

>Canada Fancy

Every fucking time. Biggest embarrassment in the western hemisphere

This.

My dad will smash these up while they're in the bag- like into tiny little bits. Then he'll pour some hot water on them, wait five minutes, and eat them with a spoon

who the hell deep fries stuff at home? you'd have to deep fry something EVERY SINGLE DAY in order to justify that kind of titanic usage of oil

your noodles will resent you.

I deep fry stuff at home. It's easy. I certainly don't do it every day, but it's nice to be able to do so when the need arises. I have notice that for some reason many home cooks seem afraid of it. I don't know why.

>>titanic usage of oil

You know you can re-use it many times, right?

Also, the idea behind using a large pot for deep-frying is to fill it only partway. The extra height in the pot above the oil is for safety so you don't accidentally splash oil out onto the stovetop. It also makes for less cleanup.

You can leave the oil and let it sit in between uses.

The main issue would be having a huge pot of oil sitting on the hob all the time.

i know you can reuse it lots of times but where do you store it in between usages? do you pour it off into its own bottle?

I have a dedicated deep fryer. When I'm done using it I put the lid on it.

Before I got the deep fryer I bought a cheap large pot that I kept for deep-frying. When I was done using it I put the lid on it. When it cooled down I put it in the cupboard.

It only has to sit on the hob while it's hot. Once it's cooled down you can store it elsewhere.

how do you get rid of the oil once you're done, I can't imagine the sink taking it

I pour the old oil into a random container (temporarily). Then I wash out the fryer/pot. I refill the fryer/pot with new oil. Then I pour the old oil into the now-empty container that the new oil came in, then chuck it in the garbage can.

I've also disposed of it in various other random empty containers that might be in the trash can. I've used empty gatorade bottles, empty laundry detergent bottles, etc.

so the garbage man takes it then

Yes.

How long/often can you reuse it before it begins to harbor harmful bacteria?

>noodles
go ahead retard

Bacteria isn't a problem, especially given the temperatures that you heat it up to when you're using it.

What degrades the oil is:
1) oxidization. Exposure to air. You can fight that problem by closing the container of oil with a lid.

2) food particles getting into the oil. You strain the oil through a sieve to remove the particles.

3) Thermal breakdown. Some oils last longer than others. Peanut oil is a great option because it has a very high smoke point and is still reasonably priced. There are other oils with higher smoke points but those tend to be very expensive to get in enough quantity for deep frying.

I have never kept an exact count, but I generally refill my fryer every 3 months or so, during which I have used it dozens of times. I've never had the oil go rancid from air contact.

not the same guy, but i imagine you can reuse it for weeks. any bacteria would be killed each time you cook with it. the main concern would probably be the fact that it'll become more carcinogenic the more you reuse it