Why do non-philosophers makes the best philosophers?

Because philosophies are spooks.

Taleb wouldn't agree I think.
As for Taleb, he has a gift for connecting the dots and doing it in an entertaining matter. He has good ideas on his own.
Sometimes I do think that his bashing of certain stuff goes to far, but I think that's the point.

>Taleb wouldn't agree I think
Why do you say that?

I am reminded by his likeness for philosophers. I was not implying that it matters whatever Taleb would agree or not.

I think that's a bit of a sweeping generalization, friend.
Taleb's great though.

oh, sure he likes philosophy and has a likeness for "classical" philosophers. Black Swan is mainly a philosophical book about epistemology.

He dislikes professional, academic philosophy in general, though.

What should I read by taleb?

I have his book Anti-Fragile, but haven't gotten around to reading it yet.

Based on what I've heard and read in a few of his essays/articles, he doesn't seem to be too big of a fan of academia in general? I remember he criticized Steven Pinker for his statistical analysis in Better Angels, and Taleb generally seems very skeptical of how the behavioral/social sciences tend to draw "official" conclusions from data analysis.

He dislikes certain people, such as economists (which are not actually people nor animals). That's what I mean with bashing as said here Still like him, but sometimes feel he goes to far. Sweeping generalizations really.

I'd recommend reading Fooled by Randomness, followed by Black Swan

Pic related, but all of his work that isn't related to obscure financial stuff like options pricing is very readable by anyone.

>Keep a diary
>Your diary accidentally creates an entire philosophical tradition that continues over 2000 years later

My favorite is antifragile, then black swan, then fooled by randomness and bed of procrustes.
He is currently working on skin in the game, of which he has put some chapters on the internet.

Antifragile is the most controversial tho, since it lashes out more aggressively to people such as economists (which are not actually people nor animals) and academics. Just see the reviews of antifragile, there's a lot of butthurt.

Literally
>MY DIARY, DESU

Poo

Don't, deadlift instead

What? A remotely amusing use of this phrase? Who are you and what have you done with Veeky Forums

*Beep, Beep*
>Hey fragilista, step in the flaneurmobile and we will discuss

Is this real

He was a stoic though.

Because good philosophy is a sum of convictions shaped by knowledge and life experiences. Philosophy in itself is meaningless, and quickly becomes self-defeating. Academic philosophy is sophistry

I can't believe what I'm seeing.

>So you are a skeptical, subtractive, empiricist?

Veeky Forums and Veeky Forums out for a drive

I found this thread by chance.

Should I read this guy If I have always been suspicious of History as a science, because I see History as mainly a sucession of unpredictable random events?

I am the kind of person who thinks George W Bush defeated Al Gore because the Cuban minority of Florida wanted to punish Democrats for returning the kid Elian to Cuba. A very small particular, random reason.
The president of the united states was decided by a family that fled from Cuba.

>Should I read this guy If I have always been suspicious of History as a science, because I see History as mainly a sucession of unpredictable random events?
The first person to come to mind when I saw what you wrote was Stephen J. Gould. But Taleb surely does talk about this.

Give it a try.

Yes, you should read Taleb. Probably should start with Black Swan.

>Should I read this guy If I have always been suspicious of History as a science, because I see History as mainly a sucession of unpredictable random events?
read Black Swan to reinforce your beliefs, I guess

Well I think the view user hold is more extreme as Taleb states.
For some counter-narrative, user should read Peter Turchin. War, peace and war + secular cycles.