Are characters in today's young adult fiction allowed to say "fuck"? What about the rest of the seven dirty words?

Are characters in today's young adult fiction allowed to say "fuck"? What about the rest of the seven dirty words?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven_dirty_words
youtube.com/watch?v=FMkNsMMvrqk
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I suppose girls are allowed to say "tits".

They say "eff" instead.

Young adults IRL don't even say "fuck". It's considered uncool to swear.

>It's considered uncool to swear
I'm surprised to hear this. It didn't use to be that way. Are you talking about present day US middle-class suburban teens?

>The Fault in Our Stars next to The Fault in Our Stars Audiobook Box Set

Great image t bh

What are the other 6? Is one of them "niggerfaggot"?

It's not necessarily uncool, but it comes with the whole 'le im so ironic' thing, where hell because heck, fuck becomes fruck or something to the likes of that, etc.

>eff off

No, it used to be an ironic thing, but now it's "sincere" because that's what's cool now.

Close, but no cigar. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven_dirty_words

goddamn uncultured kids on my board...
youtube.com/watch?v=FMkNsMMvrqk

I remember reading young adult fiction published between 2005-10 that had those words. But they were mostly novels from Australia or UK, I don't know about the US.

Scandinavian YA can be extremely crude, not only in language but also with rape, violence and tons of racist slurs (from the antagonists at least)

>Scandinavian YA can be extremely crude
Can you explain why? I thought Scandinavia had a sort of hugbox mentality about how to raise kids.

>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven_dirty_words
>shit, piss, fuck, cunt, cocksucker, motherfucker, and tits
So, it's actually six words: shit, piss, fuck, cunt, cock, tits. You can't argue that "no, it's specifically cocksucker because a cock can be a chicken and that's allowed to be said" because when you say "pistol" you say "piss" etc.

Carlin was such a hack

Kids aren't really shielded from harsh realities in their teens. I guess it's connected to the progressive school policies we've always had. We're the opposite of the Abstinence-only sex education in more religious countries and we have the same "openness" with all issues (racism, bullying). Trauma and nastiness is shown for a deterring effect.

Also many teachers are very passionate about getting the kids reading, and it's easier selling edgy shit to teens.

Once you hit your twenties and higher, you start to realize that swearing all the time just makes you look like a mongoloid.

If you don't, then you're a mongoloid

No wonder kids prefer their Homestucks to published literature.

Swears are still very important. There's a reason why 'cuck', fuck, dick, cunt, etc. are all four letters and guttural and have spread across the world.
YA is just supposed to be more 'refined' so even if you have rape and incest and evil rape incest parents saying 'fuck' is a no-no.

kys

Depends on the neighborhood.

What is the edgiest YA book you'd recommend?

>It's considered uncool to swear.
As someone who was once a young adult, this is false

I agree but it entirely depends on the company and time. If im at home having a beer with the boys, ill be as crude as I like

I think is right about it. It depends on where you lived, your and your friends' parents' social class, etc.

A Game of Thrones

Actual young adult here (20 is young adult, right?). It depends entirely on the company. If I'm with gamer-type friends then every second word is fuck, with the dudes swear words are very much still present, but not as much, and with the more closeted, insular types there's very little swearing if any. Then there's the fucking shit-cunts that obnoxiously insist on saying "heck" and "dang" and "sheez" instead of actual swear words, but use them in every sentence. But where I am people very very much still swear, using real swear words. And the Cherub series was the only YA fiction I read and it had plenty of swearing IIRC.

>20 is young adult, right?
There's some disagreement about that. Libraries in America define "young adult" as 12 to 18.

>actually taking an user's random post at face value

Boy you mindless drones just suck up any information without question don't you?