Alcubierre warp drive is a space explorer's wet dream: faster-than-light travel...

Alcubierre warp drive is a space explorer's wet dream: faster-than-light travel, without experiencing relativistic time dialation, or even g-forces! But is it really possible? Please say yes.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light_cone
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

It is not impossible.

Why not?

It requires a type of energy that as far as we know doesn't exist, but theoretically could exist.

If you ignore that it requires negative energy, cooks anything inside the bubble which also cannot be controlled by anything inside of it, and it may end up destroying itself anyway to prevent the possibility of time travel, then yeah it's possible.

yes

How could negative mass exist?

>How could negative mass exist?
How can imaginary current exist?

protip: it does

m(-1)

It's possible that it's possible.

Oh boys if you only knew what I knew
;D

It could exist because there is nothing that says it can't exist.

The scientific method is open to testable hypotheses. No one I know of has any ideas yet.

>It requires a type of energy that as far as we know doesn't exist
So it's impossible.

>as far as we know
>implying we know everything

just the other day we discovered space crystals are a thing so...

I still don't understand that.

we're reaching levels of weirdness that not even pop scientists can butcher and dumb down to make it understandable to brainlets

No. One, FTL is equivalent to time travel. Two, it requires large amounts of negative mass energy.

you haven't proven anything

>Alcubierre warp drive

It doesn't actually allow you to move through space faster than light, it instead moves the space around it and thus doesn't violate relativity in anyway (which should be obvious b/c the idea is a from a solution to EFEs).

>FTL is equivalent to time travel
I don't get this, if I instantly teleport to mars how am I timetravelling?

:o(

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light_cone

suppose you teleported to a solar system 100 000 ly away. if you look back you'd earth as it was 100 000 years ago.

instead of just wikipediaing, think of it this way:

Space and time are interlinked, Einstein has proven. We call it spacetime. Time is simply a measure it takes to traverse a distance in space, we can both agree on that as well.

If you can traverse large distances (or any distance, really) instantaneously, then it equates to time travel. Again, this is because space and time are both conjoined. Even if you move at 0.9c, you still have a cap on the amount of time it would take you to get to any place. Breaking that cap would be, in essence, time travel.

i hope this helps u friend

>if you look back you'd earth as it was 100 000 years ago.
that doesn't sound like time travel to me, you are just seeing light that was emitted thousands of years ago, you are not actually in the past

now teleport back to earth....

I see what you are implying but I don't think it would work like that, imagine you are on earth at time=0, you wait 10 years and teleport to a planet 10 lightyears away, you would see the earth at t=0 because the light that left 10 years ago is just now reaching the planet, but if you teleport back, you would arrive at earth t=10years, not earth t=0.

you'd see yourself in the past

That actually sounds like it would make for a good dystopian sci-fi setting
>FTL works
>It doesn't actually cause time travel though
>But it does let you look at "old" light: the past
>Governments use this to essentially have a worse version of panopticon. They don't even have to always be watching you anymore, they can just decide to watch you later.

woah that would actually be cool

what would the light look like?
ghosts?
IS THIS WHAT GHOSTS ARE?

so? that's not timetravel, if you travel faster than sound you can hear yourself in the past

Time crystals you fuckwhit.

It would just be a delayed streaming google earth, if you look from far enough you could see dinosaurs and shiet

Sound is a byproduct of events. Light is not.

>Light is not a byproduct of events
???
Is Light not just electromagnetic radiation?

>Sound is a byproduct of events. Light is not.
fucking brainlets I swear

no one is leaving this planet! stop giving them ideas!

I just came back from titan, sooooo..yeah

DIRAC HIMSELF STATED THAT A VACUUM IS A SEA OF REAL NEGATIVE ENERGY. THE ABILITY TO MEET THE ENERGY REQUIREMENTS OF WARPING SPACETIME RELIES ON PRODUCING THE EXPANSION OF THE VACUUM OF SPACE (I.E. INFLATION). THUS YOU NEED TO CREATE SPACETIME TO WARP THE SPACETIME AROUND YOU.

THE KEY IS FIGURING OUT DARK ENERGY OR IT'S EQUIVALENT EXPLANATION.

YOU ARE WELCOME HUMAN RACE.

/Thread.

The problem with it being real is that it will prove FTL's existence, which technically invalidates the entire modern physics. No, it isn't "you're not allowed to travel FTL in space", it's more like "you're not allowed to transmit information FTL, period". So having the proof overwhelmingly being on the side that I can, in fact, not break the speed barrier, puts me in a position where it is safer to assume that the rule will be upheld rather than arbitrarily broken

Yes, there is a slight chance it might exist, but the intelligent decision is to go with the higher probability until further proof. You'll be statistically less wrong if you stick to the proven than trying to dig up explanations to the unproven

the scientific method is unprovable bullshit.

>The problem with it being real is that it will prove FTL's existence, which technically invalidates the entire modern physics.

Not it doesn't. The Alcubierre warp drive is a legitimate solutions to Einstein's field equations and do not actually allow for faster than light movement through spacetime. Instead it "warps" the spacetime around it, creating a sort of bubble, and moves using that. It kind of cheats but doesn't actually break the rules.

light has fucking NOTHING to do with time.

N O T H I N G.

anyone who thinks it does is fucking retarded.

just because light doesn't travel instantly doesn't mean that THINGS DON'T HAPPEN ALL TOGETHER. the fact that you wouldn't see the sun go dark until 8 minutes after it vanished DOESN'T MEAN THAT IT DIDN'T VANISH 8 MINUTES AGO WHILE YOU WERE JACKING OFF.

there is literally no such barrier as the 'speed of light'.

if you go fast, the things in front of you look like they're happening faster just because you're running into light at a faster rate. what's actually happen, and WHAT FUCKING TIME IT IS, doesn't change.

jesus christ. scientists are fucking idiots. seriously. you're all fucking idiots. you've discovered nothing. you've contributed nothing. everyone else fucking figures stuff out on their own and scientists come and explain it and think they've done something important. no, nigger, you have the fuck not.

@8683765
"no"

yes, you stupid fucking nigger faggot. yes. no one with a fucking brain would ever believe for 5 seconds that time and light have any more to do with each other than time and sound.

you're all so fucking delusional and won't get it until people just stop paying you to fuck around without effect.

>you're all so fucking delusional and won't get it until people just stop paying you to fuck around without effect.
Without those people "paying me to fuck around", half of what currently exists in your room wouldn't.

wrong. science has contributed NOTHING to the construction of computers. every little bit of it was made by engineers and thinkers who just went on hunches, trial and error, and intuition. and science comes and explains how it works, as if that matters, while the engineers and thinkers are making something else.

science has literally contributed

N O T H I N G.

t. buttmad, failed science major student.

so this is the power of your intelligence. wow.

>he doesn't know about special and general relativity

You are simply stupid, read some einstein

this

that guy is literally brainded
E=mc2 the most famous equation in the world and he isn't familiar with it

u moron, there is no such thing as simultaneous events in >1 frames of reference. Therefore:

>just because light doesn't travel instantly doesn't mean that THINGS DON'T HAPPEN ALL TOGETHER

Is incorrect

>the fact that you wouldn't see the sun go dark until 8 minutes after it vanished DOESN'T MEAN THAT IT DIDN'T VANISH 8 MINUTES AGO WHILE YOU WERE JACKING OFF.

Is incorrect

> what's actually happen, and WHAT FUCKING TIME IT IS, doesn't change.

in incorrect

and ultimately

>light has fucking NOTHING to do with time.

is incorrect

Good job, you failed literally first year physics. See me after class for an ass whuppin

you are incorrect, the fact that there couldn't be a frame of reference where things happen all together doesn't mean things don't happen all together, they do. when we see a quasar billions of light years away we understand that while we are seeing it now, it actually really happened billions of years ago when the universe was very young, we understand that now that quasar does no longer exist in all likelihood. relativity just helps us explain our limited perspective inside the universe

two sets of lightning strike two opposite ends of a train track

do you see where i'm going with this?

yes you're going back to frame of reference because you can't comprehend reality

thats the entire point of relativity. it's relative.

It has contributed one thing.
An explanation.

You gotta understand the hierarchy of the logical path guy.

The history books reveal alot if you look closely.

In the past middle ages of Europe the ideal "man of the left hand path" was the wizard. Sitting in his observatory, contemplating life and the world, practicing alchemy upon piles upon piles of parchment and books.

Right:
Priest: BECAUSE GOD
---------
Right:
Philosopher: Why?
---------
High Level Left:
Magician: I AIN'T GOTTA EXPLAIN SHIT
----------
High Level Right:
Musician: Is.
-----------
Left:
Mathematician: What is.
Scientist: How?
Engineer: How to?
Technician: What do?
-----------
Middle:
Student: I AM LERNDING D:

duh i said so myself
read this again

>aliens shitposting again

Muh Casimir effect.

I can't construct a line cone diagram in which a particle that is allowed to move faster than light is able to move back to a previous moment in its light cone unless its trajectory has a negative (literally moving back in time) slope. What am I doing wrong?

> violates the averaged null energy condition
> ludicrous energy requirements
> trivial systems involving two bubbles violates causality
> horizons on front and back
> divergence of vacuum energy on horizons

Wouldn't bet too much money on it

Logical fallacy. Just because something hasn't been proven impossible doesn't mean it is possible.

ur dumb lol

It does until it's proven to be impossible.