Y'all put sugar in y'alls grits?

Y'all put sugar in y'alls grits?

What the fuck are grits

Butter and sugar is the only way I've ever had them.

no, hoop cheese and bacon

cheese or gravy here

t. yankee

Guessing you aren't an American? Gtfo.

What's a yute?

just butter and black pepper.

it wasn't until just a few years ago that i saw a friend put sugar in his grits. i had absolutely no idea that it was a thing and it took me a minute to realize that he'd used sugar instead of salt.

>Guessing you aren't an American?
Thankfully i was spared this affliction at birth. care to explain friend?

nope
i dont use cheese or garlic eaither, you fucking fuckwit

butter salt and cracked pepper only

>What the fuck are grits

Porridge made of corn.

Butter, salt, and fresh pepper. Cheese on occasion.

Dollop of apple butter
Salt
Pepper

no, fuck you

fuck you

this

Corn as in maize? Sounds... different

It's very tasty, a staple breakfast food here in the southeast US. The best thing you can do is mix it with cheese or over medium eggs, with butter, salt, and pepper

this is the correct answer. sugar doesnt belong in grits, but i also dont like sweet tea..

It's awesome. In addition to what's already been mentioned here, people from Louisiana will mix in boiled or fried prawns to make shrimp'n'grits.

im in memphis and can think of like 5 places that serve shrimp 'n grits just off the top of my head

I'm in NC, you have to look around to find it here, and you'll only succeed near the coast.

You and I would get along well. One of my all-time favorite movies. Both of my parents are attorneys, so this was a classic in my family.

>what is a grit?

Hell no.
I only have ever eaten grits 2 ways.
>with butter and salt for a quick breakfast or when I have stomach issues or flu
>baked garlic cheese grits, sometimes called souffle grits, which are also good for breakfast, or as a side to pretty much anything, I even use them for my shrimp and grits (pic related).

As a foreigner with no exposure to said dish, It seems like it should be a sweet not savoury. But i am intrigued.

Not the person you were responding to, but I haven't watched that movie in years, but I still have practically the whole movie memorized.
When my spouse and I first started living together in college (before we were married), we were poor ass students, both putting ourselves through school. We had an old TV with a built in VCR that we bought at a garage sale, and it had that movie stuck in the VCR, we couldn't get it out without having to dismantle the TV. So when there wasn't anything on TV, that's what we watched, seems like 999999 times. Ah memories......

That was a nice story. It really is a fantastic movie. Freakishly quotable and some awesome performances. Also, Marisa Tomei is a stone cold fucking fox.

On a side note, I'm from the south and I absolutely love grits. WaHo grits early in the morning when there is a chill in the air is unbelievable. Bacon, egg, cheese sandwich, single order of covered hashbrowns, and an order of grits. Morning comfort food is the absolute best. Fuck I miss WaHos.

>butter salt and cracked pepper only

This is the one true path of god tier grits. All else is faggy bullshit.
>muh sugar
>muh cheese
>muh bacon

Only other acceptable addition is sunny side up or over easy eggs, mostly cause I'm too lazy to get a plate, and the yolk is great in the grits.

NO
U R WRONG WRONG WRONG

Grits are a savory dish, trying to make them sweet is disgusting and wrong.

Also nice digits.

Oh no, it's very much a savory dish. Maize has a slight sweetness to it, but overall it works better in savory stuff. You boil the dry grits in water with a good chunk of butter, some salt, black pepper, and a splash of milk. Creamy, salty, and savory. Delicious and filling. Cheese, meats, and eggs optional.

Leaf here, does it taste like cream of corn? I love that shit

Oh, didn't read the last few posts. Nevermind

Never heard of that, but it might be the same thing as creamed corn. Is that when you cook whole kernels of corn with a cream sauce for a side dish?

Have you ever had polenta? Same shit but soupier.

i WAS INTRODUCED TO THE HUMBLE DISH OF GRITS VIA SHRIMP AND GRITS. THUS, I ASSOCIATE GRITS AS A DELICIOUS, BUTTERY, SAVORY DISH. THE THOUGHT OF ADDING SUGAR TO SUCH A THING TERRIFIES AND CONFUSES ME.

I recently went on a spiritual journey through the world of grits.

Here is what I learned. Quick grits, of every store variety that I have tried, are total shit.

You need to get stone ground grits.

Of those that I have tried here are the power rankings. (all of these are stone ground)

Charleston Favorite yellow
Anson Mills pencil cobb (yellow)
Trader Joe's white
Red Mule Farms Yellow
Anson Mills white
Anson Mills yellow

I want to try McEwin Farms, But I probably won't bother unless I am driving through and can stop. Paying for shipping on grits is pretty crazy unless you know what you are getting into. For instance, with Anson Mills I paid 10 bucks shipping to get 50 bucks worth of stuff shipped to me... and that 50 bucks of stuff basically added up to 2.5 lbs of a variety of grits, 2 lbs of rice, and 2 lbs of graham flour. I did it because I wanted to figure out what I liked, and now I know the pencil cob are the best. But they are 7.99 per 14 ounces, while charleston favorite are 4.99 for 2 lbs at fresh market by my house with no shipping. You can also get charleston favorite off amazon.com for much cheaper shipping than anson mills provides.

I cook my grits with just salt and a bay leaf at first, in a slow cooker. I mix in butter after the first starch blush, and I mix in a little cream or milk at the end.

An important part of making stone ground grits is skimming off the chaff once the grits are in the water and it is helpful to have a powdered sugar sifting spoon, or other small strainer device to get into the grits and stir it up and lift out the light white chaff that comes to the top.

I have started substituting yellow grits in the place of rice in many different dishes lately and it really just improves the living shit out of every dish i've done it to so far. Etouffee, red beans, chili, gumbo... The left overs keep well and can be microwaved, having a fried egg thrown over the top for a quick 5 minute breakfast.

Forgot to mention that I do not add sugar. If you use proper, high quality, stone ground grits (especially white grits) they will have a pleasant and mildly sweet corn flavor. No sugar necessary.

The only reason to add sugar is if you are eating quick grits that taste like cardboard... I do not recommend that anyone eat quick grits. Ever.

>I have started substituting yellow grits in the place of rice in many different dishes lately and it really just improves the living shit out of every dish i've done it to so far. Etouffee, red beans, chili, gumbo... The left overs keep well and can be microwaved, having a fried egg thrown over the top for a quick 5 minute breakfast.
Grits are more nutritious than rice too. I should start doing this but I already go though grits crazy fast as it is...

Also Bob's Red Mill Corn grits are pretty good, better than the various dirt cheap ones, but those are still good too, not gonna turn down muh 50¢ box of grits, best breakfast bang for the buck there is.

This

>not gonna turn down muh 50¢ box of grits, best breakfast bang for the buck there is.

The best breakfast bang for the buck i have found is oatmeal... that stuff works out to 4 cents a serving after adding walnuts and raisins! But I can only take so much of that healthiness.

If you can afford a 50 cent box of grits you can afford a 5 dollar bag of 2 pounds and in my opinion the difference is totally worth it. That 2 pounds is going to make 20 or 30 servings, you're still talking about dirt cheap eats even with the more "expensive" grit. To each their own though i suppose. Some people like how fast quick grits cook up and the hour long cooking times for stone ground are a draw back... but using a slow cooker its pretty fool proof on low for a couple hours, spike it up to high if you need it done faster.

I believe bob's red mill was a quick grit... which is why i didn't even bother trying it. When I run out of the current glut of grits around here from trying all these different brands, i'll have to check those out, even though they are "quick."

Never Again.

Yeah yeah but the only place that has 5lb bags of grits is walmart and it's inconvenient. I usually buy the good shit anyway, unless I'm feeling super poor, in which case I guess buying bulk is the better deal anyway, that's why I'be hoy a 20b sack of rice lol.

Hour long cook times? U fucking wot m8? I've never had any grits take an hour to cook, stone ground or not. Like 20 minutes max. But I'm unemployed and shit so I don't mind sitting around in the kitchen taking my time anyway.

Also eat a lot of steel cut oats, they're also cheap but not as cheap as grits, but I just don't like them as much as delicious peppery grits.

Also jim dandy quick grits aren't that bad, the 5lb bag of walmart grits was definitely worse.

Nigger-tier food, don't worry about it.

>Also eat a lot of steel cut oats, they're also cheap but not as cheap as grits, but I just don't like them as much as delicious peppery grits.

I've only ever bothered with quick oats... After I finish up this grits journey I will probably dip into the world of steel cut.

Any suggestions?

Brain fart, meant to say creamed corn. The stuff I'm used to is generally quite sweet though, which grits apparently isn't?

I have. Sounds like I'd quite enjoy grits, then.

what the fuck is with people putting sugar in everything? can't you animals differntiate between the main meal and desert?

Isn't one savory and the other dry and dusty?

>Y'all put sugar in y'alls grits?

Do Americans really talk like this?

Quaker sells steel cut now, so they're really easy to find. Before that I had to go out of my way to a grocery store with a bulk section.

Do all Brits speak Cockney rhyming slang?

OFC not. But it is a stereotypical southern accent that OP probably picked for its humour value.

Cream of Wheat > Grits

>Southern debutante cousin has southern debutante wedding where everybody talks like molasses
>has a grits bar with different cheeses and meats like shrimp and bacon to put in them

Oh god so much grits i want to die and relive my life so i can be in that time again

I bet there where mint juleps and whiskey sours everywhere. I'm so fucking jealous.

Wait, I'm Southern! I just need to get one of my brothers married!

no and u r a gigantic faggot omg

Bulk section is best value and I really can't tell the difference between that and the "fancy" stuff because of what I add.

Make with goat milk
Hemp hearts
Ground flaxseed
Chia seeds

Fiber bomb, so one bowl and im full, and my shits have never been so regular.

>Ground flaxseed

I did this in oats for about a year.

>regulator

indeed.

I also lost about 20 pounds because in addition to eating oatmeal every morning and filling myself up for a while i started controlling my portions and snacking through out the day. I need to get back on that wagon.

I think it's like polenta. I have only had grits once so I'm not sure.

Southerner here. While some of us do put sugar in our grits most of us do butter, salt and pepper.

yes and vanilla extract sometimes cinnamon too. I've never had savory grits

By the Grace of God and the ghost of Andrew Jackson...NEVER!!!

My lawd, what a fine figure you cut in your velvet suit, young sir!

i'm more savory

cheese and green chile

It's like porridge for pampered princesses.

cheese and black pepper master race

I do declare, this episode is a classic

So what's the difference between grits, cornmeal and polenta?

Boy you sure do love 'ts

cornmeal is finely ground but generally not as fine as corn flour.

polenta and grits are (generally) coarsely ground cornmeal, but grits come from dent corn while polenta comes from flint corn. These are basically just the two types of corn that are more popular in the southern united states and italy... where the two types of food originate from. However, they are both corn and if you were to serve someone grits or polenta served as the other dish most people would have no idea that you had done the ol' switcheroo!

I think of polenta as something that is generally cooled, sliced and grilled - like a grit cake. Where as I think of grits as a bowl of thick quasi-gelatinous stone ground cornmeal.

In the end, there really isn't much of a difference. I wish that people would get their shit together and start using standards. Like a numeric rating system for how fine the grind of the cornmeal is.

For instance.. baking cornmeal might be yellow dent #10, where as some grits might be white dent #6 and really rustic style coarse grind might be yellow dent #3, with polenta being indicated as something like yellow flint # 4.

Food has traditionally been the realm of the housewife though, and women are creatures of inaccuracy and artistic fancy.

I'm sure the men that run mills have this sort of thing already in place - but that the marketing and packaging people didn't want to hurt the house wifes brain with maths.

It's not been a life long thing or anything like that... It's been more like a spiritual journey for the last couple months.

I'm over it now.. but grits have become a part of my regular repertoire and I think its been a positive improvement.

I just have that sort of personality where I am a pretty good generalist for the most part, but if I find something interesting I dive deep and learn it well.

>Food has traditionally been the realm of the housewife though, and women are creatures of inaccuracy and artistic fancy.
>I'm sure the men that run mills have this sort of thing already in place - but that the marketing and packaging people didn't want to hurt the house wifes brain with maths.

Go back to your self-loathing containment board, faggot.

Just butter for me, but my sister puts maple syrup in hers