What are some novels or stories that have a profound connection between a human and animal...

What are some novels or stories that have a profound connection between a human and animal? With themes such as mutual suffering, empathy, mercy etc.

call of the wild

a passion in the desert is pretty good

Nietzsche's "why I have sex with horses" is a seminal classic of the genre

Friedrich Hugs a Horse

Takashi Hiraide's “The Guest Cat” if you have a crush for Japanese poetic realism.

Could make some pretty redpilled jokes here hehe (about women and blacks hehe)

the woman becomes an animal if she dates a nigger

The Turin Horse

Au Hasard Balthazar. Its a film, but whatever it's fucking great.
Pro tip: the god tier piano sonata that plays throughout the film was written by Schubert when his wife was cheating on him

Is it actually any good? Or is it á la Murakami?

It is decent. Not a masterpiece, though. You won't lose your time.

The best and most famous novel of this type in spanish is "Platero y yo",by Juan Ramon Jimenez.The story of a man and his donkey.It has to be a good traduction in english.

A man and his dog by Mann
An alternative translation is bashan and I

Beat me to it!

Is it any good? Is the prose bearable

canadians

White Fang and The Call of the Wild. Ernest Seton Thompson's work has a unique bond between man and animal, though in some stories it boils down to "I hunted and killed said animal, now I feel like shit". Some of his work is good though.

I only ever see this page posted here. How is the rest of the book?

there's a decent chunk of it in google books for you to see. I'm so far from the target audience my opinion is moot. It's more about feminism & sexual liberation than bearsecks though.

Half tempted to pick it up for the sheer wtf-ness of it

I'm starting to think that Justin Trudeau might be a manifestation of this book.

>I don't care if I can't turn you on, I just love you
>tfw a woman will never feel this love for you

Haven't even read it but Travels with Charley by the Steinbeckster.

From what I remember the connection between him and the dog is not really a major theme. Still a great book, though.

This looks really good

Is this an illustration of Beloved when Paul D. fucks the cattle?

Check out Buytendijk, Mind of the Dog

Fifteen Dogs by Andre Alexis is sad as fuck, and a major part of it deals with human-animal bond

The turin horse is not what op is asking for. Horse plays the role of a symbol, her relationship with the owners is not important at all.

:(