His soul swooned slowly as he heard the snow falling faintly through the universe and faintly falling...

>His soul swooned slowly as he heard the snow falling faintly through the universe and faintly falling, like the descent of their last end, upon all the living and The Dead.

Jesus fucking Christ, really?

Please OP, write a better ending

bad bait/10

I mean, Dubliners wasn't that great, but the reason for reading it in a modern context is to understand Joyce's literary journey. You can see all his little proclivities and affections that matured into the Joyce who wrote Ulysses.

You know shit. Fuck off.

I still don't really understand the ending of this one. Anyone got interpretations?

Thousands of people. Use the Google machine

What's the fucking point of this post
Please stop making this board shit

>without God, Myshkin had truly become The Idiot
Nabokov was right

Yeah, I noticed that he was an intelligent but second rate writer that should have stuck to literary criticism! Ulysses was a big hoax, the best bad work in the history of literature!

I'd argue it's yours really. You're not bringing your own interpretation and asking to compare. Looking up interpretations is a prerequisite, and you're asking me to spoonfeed you. You're the guy who gets really amped about taking a road trip but doesn't intend to pay for gas because it's not your car.

>stripes and polka dots

He just kinda realizes his ultimate insignificance. Like a lot of early Joyce, it's not really the ideas that make it beautiful, but rather the prose. Call it corny, but the last few paragraphs of The Dead had me tearing up, and I still get emotional if I think about/reread it.

>And today we have to attend Finnegans' Wake!

joyce you hack

Fuck off.

Wow you're a dumb fucking cunt. This is obviously a thread that's generally about The Dead now despite its starting out with a meme. Have you never posted on Veeky Forums before? Just talk about the work nigger.

Why does Veeky Forums hate conversations about books? All this board does is talk about what it's like to read, never about the books themselves

>He just kinda realizes his ultimate insignificance
why is this a bad idea?

I don't think he was saying that Joyce had bad ideas, just not the most profound. Thinking about it, I agree with him, the presentation of subjects is a lot better than the subjects themselves in his work.

I think it was just a somber reflection on the billions of people living, and dead.

Fuck though, Dubliners was fantastic.I gotta read Artist again though, I didn't really like it.

What is so great about dubliners. I mean yeah the last 10 pages of The Dead was great, and a lot of the short stories immerse you into the lives, thoughts and feelings of these multi-faceted characters. And I'll admit that I empathized deeply with some of the stories, and others I saw the characters portrayed in the people I talk to in my daily life, but it wasn't great, it was good. He hadn't reached the esquisite prose that joyce is praised for in his later novels, we only get a hint of it at the end.

>Exactly, Shevek. That's why we'll always be The Disposessed.

Fucking gag me

>swooning soul
>hearing snow
>snow falling through the universe
>falling faintly, faintly falling
>The Dead

someone wanted to be a poet but just didn't quite get it. how can someone attempt such a grand statement and come up with nothing but air?

>When you are sat in your room writing dense and incomprehensible prose in an almost completely idiosyncratic vernacular that you created yourself and you hear Nora fart in the other room

>all these great things
>all these more great things
>wasn't that great
Wtf more did you want out of it? To wash your damn car?

should've called the dead orpheus like kenner said

So what would Gabriel's moment of "looking back" be?
I dig the idea that the story is about lack of love = death

So many edgy fucklords in the thread thinking that they can write better than Joyce.

No I'm not saying that Dubliners doesn't have great qaulities, Dubliners as a whole isn't great. Its missing the other half of greatness that is achieved in other novels regarded as great, and its downfall lies in its prose. Joyce's prose in Ulysses is unprecedented, revolutionary. Ulysses was written 10 years after Dubliners, and in those 10 years Joyce improved significantly. Ulysses goes beyond the idea of a character, beyond setting, beyond story. It transcends literature as an artform, creating its own microcosm of something greater than what is written on the page. No other book (I've read) has achieved this. Joyce was more than a writer, he was an artist of the highest degree. Compared to all this, Dubliners is good.

He realizes that everyone dies in the end, so he wants to live the rest of his life the way he wants to, not the way he is expected to
In short, he learns to JUST DO IT

Anyone get a bladerunner vibe from this?

#YOLO