What are Veeky Forums's honest thoughts on John Green. I think he's not as bad as everyone says

What are Veeky Forums's honest thoughts on John Green. I think he's not as bad as everyone says.

Other urls found in this thread:

dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3122298/John-Green-slams-Tumblr-users-accusing-sexual-abuse-pedophile.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>dichotomy between honest and dishonest opinions

I like the sex scenes because they involve underage boys

>14
>United States
>Ulysses
I'm not a big fan of children's books.

>I realized that I didn't make a mistake. I was made of mistakes. People are made of mistakes. This is what people are made of. Remember that people are made up of stars, our own celestial bodies, what comprises others incredibly out of reach yet twinkling in the distance, preconceived and premature, and yet we ourselves are made of the same cosmic dust-to-dust. Always remember, also, the universe was made by accident. And it all makes sense, because she is my sunbeam.
-"The Approximate Cost of Loving Caroline"

>Margot wore makeup like wood glue. I was the qawky, gangly teenager, with limbs like freshly washed baby carrots, starting at square tile one of the high school entrance. I had a stack of books the size of two Infinite Jests and a paperback Girl With Curious Hair. I was looking her, dead, in the eyes.
-"Paper Towns"

>"Why are you speaking to me, Colin?" When she spoke, she made it a breeze. When others spoke, I only heard wind. And yet, when I spoke to her, I talked to the wind.
-"An Abundance of Katherines"

ya he's worse

Are these real?

>obviously catered to superficial pseudo-intellectual (think: "oh I'm so smart I read!") teenage girls

I think he's shit but I would fuck him in the ass. No homo.

Personally I find the titles to be more offensive than the excerpts. Full sentence titles trigger me.

From the Mental floss videos that he hosts (and doesn't write), he seems like a nice guy. I haven't read any of his books. I assume I would not enjoy them.

I like him. I go through life thinking "What would John Green do in this situation?" and then do the exact opposite.

Lol did he actually reference fucking Girl With Curious Hair?

>Margot wore makeup like wood glue
what does that mean

Her face is always covered in a thick, sticky, white substance? That's a pretty sexist and judgmental comment for celebrated author John Green to make about a liberated woman's sexual activity. Woman are to be championed and revered, not objectified.

He's a beta male faggot who wishes there were no more white people in this world .

I'm always scared of sounding like John Green. I think it really has helped me in life. A while ago I realized that a lot of my feelings about girls were the exact feeling John Green expresses. I quickly got to work making changes in my life and mindset. I'm a better person now.

just granted this wish
-genie

I think he's very popular with his target audience (adolescent, female) and quite successful
I think part of that is due to him tapping into deep and valid life issues his audience has
I also think his popularity with his particular audience, and his proximity to them, is kind of creepy

None of those are full sentences

dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3122298/John-Green-slams-Tumblr-users-accusing-sexual-abuse-pedophile.html

Not a bad way to live life

trips? check
bidigital? check
insightful contribution? umm...

>h-ha ha
>i-im totally not a child molester, i swear!

John seems overly defensive.

>it 'most importantly damages the discourse around the actual sexual abuse of children'

Virtue signal some more, Johnny boy.

This. There is no reason to respond this emphatically to an anonymous post on tumblr unless you have something to hide. For the record, I don't think John Green has ever had sex with an underage fan, but think he would if he thought he could get away with it.

He's as bad as everyone says

But he hates himself so much, how would he even have sex?

He's not as bad as everyone says. He is far, far worse.

I think there are two big, discrete questions to ask when evaluating art: what was the artist going for, and how well did they meet their goals? John Green is actually an exceptionally good YA author; he met the goals he set for himself very well, and his popularity shows that. What I think most people take issue with is that he's trying to do that in the first place.