Which do you choose? Hardcover or paperback? Mass market paperback and E-book readers aren't invited to this thread

Which do you choose? Hardcover or paperback? Mass market paperback and E-book readers aren't invited to this thread.

I prefer epub.

Paperback is cheaper and molds to the hand well. So, paperback.

Epub=I want to read the book
Library book HC or SC=I want to read the book but cant find it to pirate
Buy SC=I want to read the book but it is not carried in my Library Network
Buy HC= I go to Church or Library book sale and buy classics I have not read in stately folio editions for my home library.

I buy paper back because they feel much sleeker and look cleaner. Although I feel I may regret going with paper back for my super marked up Ulysses. The spine will definitely break at some point and I'll have to transfer my notes.

Actually, related question: how many of you meticulously mark up your books and in what ways?

>he doesn't read stone tablets

Pleb.

>mark up your books
My mom used to tell me books were sacred and that you were never to write in them. Somehow that has become stuck in me, and I feel like I am committing a sin when I write in a book, even back in college. It literally gives me that anxiety feeling when a hand grabs your guts.

>writing and drawing in your books

I guess you write and draw on everything you own. Like a child.

I have the exact same feeling. I cringe whenever I see people writing in textbooks and the like.

Scrolls master race reporting in.

Ebook. I don't care that i'm not invited, i'm crashing this thread anyway.

Trade paperback all the way. Hardcover if it's pretty and reasonably priced.

thiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiisssssss

I find it sort of clutters the experience when I reread, if that makes sense.

Don't have any problem marking up nonfiction though

Paperback. It's cheaper, lighter, and comfier.

Epub = I want to read the book and forget most of it.

That argument is childish. When you highlight or write down ideas or references it makes it that much easier to come back to the book and refresh yourself. It makes those observations last.

I'm not fucking doodling in it you mongoloid

>When you highlight or write down ideas or references it makes it that much easier to come back to the book and refresh yourself.

So you're an adult that doesn't know how to use notepad or an actual notepad in real life?

So I should have a stack of notebooks that I have to dig up every time I want to reference my old notes? I should have page references everywhere instead of directly marking the relevant section? I should have to carry this notebook everywhere I go while reading the book?

I don't know what makes a physical book so sacred to you. Or so simple to read that you don't benefit from annotation.

Yeah when I read ebooks it all feels much more cluttered in my head. Plus I love being able to associate all the events and feelings of a book with a specific object. It just feels better in my head.

Prefer HC because of the durability but as an poorfag often choose SC. The good thing is, classics most often are even cheaper in HC thanks to old people dying off and their children just wanting to get their books out. Got the complete collected stories of Karl May in an antique HC for free that way.

I use sticky notes and if anything underline some sentences with a soft pencil.

sticky notes bother me because they almost always cover up text, even the smaller ones. For most books I generally don't need much other than very mild highlighting/notes/word definitions. For a book like Ulysses I think everyone should mark the hell out of it.

This argument only applies to the mentally disabled.

That's also a reason why I prefer HC, they tend to have a wider border around the text body on which you can either make small notes or have more room for stickies.

You're right, it will either poke completely out or hide text, but for me it's the lesser of two evils. In a notebook you would need to always note page/line, have it always with you and take the time to look both up, instead of just going through your book and simply move it to the site for the duration of the hiden text. Loose notebook pages might be a solution but with them you're risking to lose them.

Paperback.

This user is right though.

Don't worry user, you can find ebooks with pictures too.

EPUB? You make me fucking sick. DjVu masterrace.

Luckily ebooks let you write as much as you want without destroying anything.

your mom is spooked af and she only reads bitch fiction that doesn't demand annotation

to be honest, paperback.

i only get hard covers when there is nothing else available, and sometimes even just rip off the hard cover and turn it into a paperback with the paper cover that usually comes with hard covers.

btw how do you call that paper cover that accompanies the hard cover? couldnt find the name to post a pic...

Paperback but my strongest preference is US paperbacks which have bendy covers and nicer paper. Deluxe paperback I guess, are these "trades" maybe?

dust jacket

>just rip off the hard cover and turn it into a paperback with the paper cover that usually comes with hard covers.

i know it sounds gory and strange, but when it is done it looks better than expected.

thanks

What the fuck stop it

>t. one poorly carried-out study that failed to consider that people will likely be unused to a new medium the first time they try it

I prefer to read the Wikipedia page of books and then pretend I've read them and masquerade other people's opinions as my own.

Just like most of Veeky Forums

I prefer my books to not fall apart, so hardcover. I'm also slightly abusive to my books, so all the better.

Paperback. Harcovers are heavy and I can't fold the pages over.

pleb, stone tablets is how people who actually care about reading consume their literature

Paperback, because that way I can break the spine and bend the book back on itself so it's easier to hold.