What book will cure my depression and make me love life again?

What book will cure my depression and make me love life again?

None. Go outside and find a thing or a person to care about.

War and peace

White Nights

dis.

Really? Ill check it out after im done with the idiot. What do you anticipate i will gain from war and peace?

>pic is my untouched 2nd hand war and peace

Im looking for something that will change the way i think and act. Sort of like that rush to produce something when you finished atlas shrugged for the first time.

Therapy.

And getting away from your abusers' basement too.

Life gets better when you don't have bad people ruining everything because you have to control them.

TE JES

The ego and his own

Depression is the natural state of man. Don't fall for the optimist Jew.

my diary desu

Accept that pleasure and pain are relative and that the more pleasure you feel the number pleasure will be and the more acute pain will be. Since your personal experience determines your gague for these sensations you will experience both in approximately equal measure in the course of your finite life. You will die, and the pleasure and pain you feel will not matter. Live instead in order that you might seek and serve the Good.

V ironic cover for WaP. But yes I would recommend this book for your situation. It changed my life for the better. The basic question posed by War and Peace is one Tolstóy grappled with his entire life, long after he had renounced WaP and AK as worldly aesthetic affairs. That question is: for what are we to live, in face of our inescapable and overwhelming mortality? Before that tsunami, what signicance does anything we do have? The people in WaP never successfully answer that question, but their seeking alone is profound and life-affirming.

Its not other people ruining my life, its just me in this apathetic limp state from wake to sleep. I figure I want to get brainwashed by a book and so I will get out of my miserable realm and be motivated and have energy to do stuff. For example I get tired reading while sitting so i always lie down on my bed while reading.

Thank you for your in depth reply, I will read it after the idiot as im a bit autistic and have a hard time put books down once i open then. But i dont want the pleasure and pain to not matter, I just want to feel "good" doing normal things like studying and reading and composing music. Im getting a few tabs of lsd in a few weeks, maybe that will change me :/

There is no magic cure for depression, it's on you. Only you can change yourself, you could read all the best ideas in the world but you'll never apply them to yourself.

But great ideas sure can brainwash me into thinking differently.

The Gospel of John.

Unconditionally clinging to every new idea that sounds good to you will only leave you feeling empty and unfulfilled. It's important to think for yourself.

Like the other guy said, books are great and all but reading ink on a parchment isn't going to make you any less depressed. You'll just still be depressed with a different way of looking at things

If your mind is in a state of depression, going out and living is the best way to cure it. Explore things you've never done/used to do, try new hobbies, go enjoy nature etc.

War and peace will kill your ambition and the anxiety it causes and replace it with an eager desire to love all mankind. Not in a abstract way like a yuppie liberal but one person at a time through every interaction.

Thanks guys for the wonderful responses! Here is a picture of my grandpa and grandma to show my appreciation.

awww, they are so qt

how old are you?

Tolstoy talks about death a lot but he is uplifting to read. It's in the way he acutely observes people, and in his fluid prose, even by translation. He puts forward a convincing case for a way of living which disregards materialism and vanity, in favor of a life of selflessness and love that is more in commune with nature.

I recommend one of the short stories collections of his, one which has The Death Of Ivan Ilyich in it. His early soldierly stories are also worthwhile (Three Deaths, The Woodfelling.)

>Three Deaths

I mean The Raid

Im 19. 2nd year studying music composition :)

The bible

Funny to say, reading Ecclesiastes a few years ago was my first nihilistic awakening.

The one with lots of hot incest

Read Psycocybernetics by Maxwell Maltz

Seriously it contains life changing insights.

The alchemist

I got a few self help books my mom got me. I tried think and grow rich and 7 habits but found them extremely boring. Do you have any experience with pic related vs psycocybernetics?

The bible + TBK

Nah, Psycho is the only one I've read.

Aside from a few daffy and inappropriate remarks about God, its full of spot on practical advice.

I think that, if you pay attention, there's a great concept of love in Thomas Mann's The Magic Mountain...

>Kevin O'Leary
I'm assuming you're a Canadian?

You go to a party and all the men are staring at you like this....

What do you do? :)

Give a monologue about the flaws in Kant's critique of pure reason.

That's a terrible edition
>flaws

Yep

Shiet... It cant be too bad right? I dont wanna buy another one...

It's bad

Unreadable bad

I'm not the OP, but why did you guys recommend this ;_; now I'm here with my heart torn to pieces and for what? Was there a lesson to it all?

Any and all, because books take your mind off your depression. More complex, and philosophical books, might even keep you thinking about them after-the-fact, which is better than dwelling on your own problems, right? This is why depressed people tend to read.

steppenwolf

Steppenwolf. Don't do drugs though; just take up dance lessons.

>Go outside and find a thing or a person to care about.
How are you gonna love anything or anyone if you can't even love yourself?

The Ethics of Ambiguity, may not be a cure, but it forces you to realize your own reason for existing. It's also a great introductory book into her other works.

The phenomenology of spirit

Tao Te Ching

I don't know if you're baiting but don't do fucking drugs. Distracting yourself from your problems with psychedelics or booze or any vice is only going to postpone any potential catharsis you might have regarding life.

Im not baiting but im just super curious as to what its like. I wouldnt call it escaping like but more of experiencing more of life.

I managed it somehow. Learning to love someone or something else can give you the capacity, and the experience, to learn how to love yourself. One does not necessarily have to come before the other.