I dropped out of college back in 2015 because I'm lazy and stupid...

I dropped out of college back in 2015 because I'm lazy and stupid. I've been living in my parents basement since then and have been working the same shitty job since. Is there any way I can get smart and contribute to science without going back to college. I have nightmares about going back to college because I hated it that much, I don't want to go back, but I want to be smart. Thank you.

>Want to be smart
>Don't want to work
The answer is no.

You will not succeed without discipline. Force yourself to be the man you want to be.

>contribute to science
no
>be smart
maybe

No reason to try, you will just be pushed around by people specialized in toying with your emotions probably until you get a stroke from the stress alone.

Yep especially when they hire fake behavioural science phd:s who magically succeed much better than you, you know it's all a big lie and you might as well start drinking instead.

OP here I was thinnking about trying to convince my doctor to give me adderall or something to help me with college. Good idea or no?

No, the good stuff is illegal. That's why we have so many fake professors appointed by the drug networks. They trade a political foot in to give the real professors what they need to perform.

I feel you man. college is a huge fucking drag. right now I am just going through the motions of it. Like I stopped going to any of my classes and didn't register for this year. I collected the money my parents were giving me for tuition and I am investing it currently. I want to work up to getting enough money from investments to live comfortably enough and fund my own projects.

if you want to learn just for the sake of knowledge, go through MIT's OCW (ocw.mit.edu). plenty of resources there to learn whatever you like. curricula and such too. as far as contributing to science, just experiment with shit in your garage. find shit that interests you and use whatever resources you have to work on your own projects.

otherwise just go to a trade school and learn a trade. no shame in that.

Why was college a drag

it's run like a business. academics is dead. trying hard is rewarded over actual competence. just thinking about it makes me fucking depressed.

If you grow up a few years you might find college to be not so bad.

You don't need to go to college nor graduate it to ''contribute to science'' (whatever you think this means).

However, you do need to be disciplined and study.

You can study anything you want on your own user. The trick is if you will actually do it.

I decided, if getting a degree has become so commonplace, so basic, and so meaningless, and if graduating meant that I would be placed in the same bin as the other complete fucking losers and worthless scum that receive degrees, I want no part in it. getting a degree feels more self deprecating than not getting one

and to clarify, since I feel like that last post came off a bit wrong, I am not proud of this.

ideally I should have been able to improve my school. make it a better place. make it a place that I would be proud of graduating from. it's just a bit difficult for me, as I am not outgoing, and people around me seem happy in their pathetic squalor. I had made some attempts at changing things, but people would always manage to "prove" (by consensus) that everything is fine and there is no reason to change. so I quit.

OP, how old are you?

Like this user said, you can always self-teach yourself, at your own pace. There are many people on stack exchange (especially math & physics) who are self-taught savants.

Sometimes students say they're lazy and stupid because they failed a class, but a lot of them weren't prepared for the class to begin with. Usually their knowledge of the basic fundamentals is poor, causing constant road blocks that otherwise wouldn't exist if they had studied correctly. Ask yourself, "Why did I fail? What did I lack?" Don't just use adjectives, think about it, deeply.

I recommend starting with Khan Academy, they have all the knowledge necessary for the first two years of an undergraduate science education. And if you need it, they have lower level material so you can get up to pace. Go and watch some videos about studying science and math efficiently. This all takes hard work, there is no other way.

I don't disagree with what you are saying

I just feel that you are kind of taking this huge moral high ground in a way that it sounds as if you were trying to inflate your ego as much as you can.

Don't you see the wrong in this stance you are taking?

in what way? are you saying I shouldn't assume that I could have done anything to change it? or that I shouldn't assume that I know what's best?

No its horseshit you have to learn the hardway I'm doing mech eng and im not srsly not that smart but the work is there it can get dense but the habits build up over time later I started reading the textbooks something I've never thought I'd do but in mv case its just a means to an end, the equations and the concepts are relevant to the objective and thats it whateveryou do at least have the good work ethic

or the terms "pathetic squalor" and "worthless scum"?

those were mostly just hyperbole of how I feel

answer me you dumb fucking nigger

Dude I dont fucking know.

Its just like your speech comes off like that to me.

Like I said, I agree with some points.

But IF these thoughts came from a place filled with ego, perhaps I would advice to reconsider them.

are you going to say what you think on the topic or just sit on your hands and say "dude I don't know man I agree with some point, but I just don't know bro"?

lol are you ok?

help Jesus aka Aubrey De Grey

this is some real salty deflection/justification for your college views or failure to get a degree.

Posts on sci, thinks everyone who gets a degree are worthless scum.

sorry, education in the US makes me furious. as I said before, the worthless scum thing was hyperbole. all I mean to say is that the lowering of standards in academics really bothers me and I don't want to contribute to a failing system

>you can't talk about science if you don't suck higher education cock
kill yourself

>lowering of standards

???

have you been to a college before? ever look through the yearbooks?

it's hard to back up a statement like "education standards have lowered" ("standards" are hard to measure) and it might just be wishful thinking to imagine that things in the past were better but I know for certain that things can and should be better, and it's annoying when people don't see that

or are you trying to imply that school's have high standards because they're extremely competitive and have high GPA and test score requirements, then please explain how GPA and test scores improve the overall quality of living at a school? do GPA and test scores tell you how much a person will contribute to society? to the quality of life on campus? no? what about essays? do they tell you those things?

am I the only one here who felt like they were being sold something when starting college? idk maybe other schools are better at hiding it, but colleges have evolved to be nothing more than greedy businesses that try to maximize profits

I dropped out once, turned out I had ADHD :^)
Then I got ritalin, got back and now I'm doing a PhD.

I'm sort of a unicorn in the ADHD "community", it's not like ritalin will make you smart and motivated, so please don't take this as "just do drugs man :^)", just saying that not everyone did great out of the gate, you're not automatically a lost cause.

Learn in school or learn on your own.
If you do not put any effort into it, only luck will save you.

On your own you can succeed easiest in CS. Read lots of books on Excel and get into VBA programming. Temp agencies will hire when companies are desperate and you will gain experience; again, if you put effort into it.
Most people work at mcd's and have a couple days of training over a five-year-period: and then they want to earn as much as someone who earned more money.

tfw struggling with this right now

adhd is a bitch and im behind in my accounting class by a week

I know how you feel man, uni has seriously destroyed my passion for physics with all the constant workload which leaves me with no time nor energy to explore ideas in physics in my own time, so now that I'm almost done with my BSc I'm gonna switch to a MSc in applied / industrial mathematics (which will only take me 3 years to complete instead of the usual 5 due to course overlap) and go into mathematical finance and just whore myself for money until I can retire early because the thought of continuing in physics for 8+ years only to end up being an R&D slave or academia cuck revolts me.

When I started uni I was like "hurr I'm gonna invent a warp drive and create AI and cure cancer with genetic modification and basically be elon musk on steroids" (retarded, I know) and as the reality of what a physics career looks like has been revealed to me the only thing I can think is "FUCK.THAT"

OP here, I just don't understand how you people fucking do this. I'll read threads where people are talking about how they're taking like 20 courses in advanced physics at once and getting straight A's, while I had to drop out of Algebra 2 in High School because I couldn't understand any of it. I just can not fucking do this stuff but I really want to. But then I'd sit down and try to study and I'll lose focus on whatever I'm reading after 5 seconds and give up after staring at the wall for 30 minutes. Or I'd end up going to one of my classes but then having a mild anxiety attack after sitting in the room for 15 minutes and having to leave. I really want to be smart but I just don't think my brain is built for this shit. I'd be willing to try any drug or method at this point.

Because its hard? Even for those who constantly do it they struggle to do so but with time they've accustomed to doing it because it turned into an habit (and because they probably hate their existence).

You gotta see this like it is. Studying sometimes is fucking terrible, it sucks. It more enjoyable to masturbate and play videogames. But sometimes studying is extremely satisfying.

Educate and take control of your brain user. You can do the same things those guys that ''take 20 advanced...'' whatever courses do.

You were just dealt a different coin. Get the ball rolling on something you would like to learn, set up a timer, 5 minutes, 10, 25? do it.

It gets easier with time.

Yeah man I dropped out too I'm gonna fucking die

This sounds special snowflake as fuck. What measures SHOULD schools use if not tests? How pretentious they can sound on an imageboard?

>I just can not fucking do this stuff but I really want to.
The sole problem with your entire post is this retarded attitude that it's somehow not your fault that you're lazy and irresponsible.

You are completely in control for whether you study or not, whether you go to class or not. And following from that, whether you succeed in university or not, because those two things are all it takes.
Either man up and take responsibility for your behaviour or accept that you really aren't that unhappy with being a menial wageslave in your parents' basement.

are you truly interested in the subject you want to take? it seems like you only want to be smart just to boost up your ego and to show off, rather than for interest or dream. I'd highly suggest to stop taking whatever you're taking if you truly find it uninteresting otherwise it'd be a hell for you

>trying hard is rewarded over actual competence
>i'm smarter than everyone in my country but i still fail
>schools fault

Yeah, that's fucking retard tier shit right there.

>tfw born too early and the current schooling methods are too far behind my superior intellect

Have you tried leaving your phone at home and just taking your notes in paper phone to the library?

I only have an eight grade education