Books that need to be turnen into a movie/tv series

This book woud be perfect for a Tv miniseries

Anyone got news about the supposed dramatizaton that is going on?

SyFy currently owns the rights, be fucking careful what you wish for

Well i think it woud Do better on HBO with all the Sex and gore going on

my diary desu

SyFy's not doing too bad with their adaptation of The Expanse.

Hyperion would be good as a miniseries but Fall Of... would need a good couple of seasons to cover everything.

I hope they stop there, though. Fuck Endymion and Rise Of. Those books are horseshit.

There's no actionshit apart from Kassad's story, and all main characters are old people. Good luck marketing that

If a work of literature would work better in a different medium then it is by definition plebeian shit.

Well i think every story sort of represents a genre
Hoty's story = Adventure
Kassad's story = Action
Silenius's story = Drama
Sol's story = Drama/Mistery
Lamia's story = Crime
Consul's story = Romance/Politics Thriller

None of them.

Adaptations should be banned.

I heard AMC was going to do Dan Simmons's The Terror as a series

>tfw I'm afraid to read the sequel because the first book was so fucking good

Oh, I'm well aware. Hyperion will not lend itself to a subtle filmmaker.

Fuck Endymion and Rise Of. Those books are horseshit.

Anyone else agree with this? I'm reading Fall of Hyperion right now, and I wasn't planning on continuing.

Also how does Veeky Forums feel about the series in general? I genuinely enjoyed the first book but there's something almost stuffy about Simmon's writing. I get that you need to make myriad references constantly when fleshing out a galactic sci-fi future, but the way in which he does it feels so self serving to me. Like I don't deserve to fully appreciate the book unless I have identical tastes as the writer.
Is this just me? Am I just being salty because I know I'm missing some stuff? I've always felt like truly good writing should be accessible.

The BBC need to do Jasper Fforde's stuff to fill out the Dr Who slot.

Its totally in their wheelhouse to the point where they are the only people who can do it, plenty of merchandising potential and it has the much-prized feature of a female protagonist.

Its such an obvious thing to do I can't help but wonder why it hasn't already happened. Is it too obvious?

I was at that point once. Sequel is different but it's enough to satisfy the craving for more. Read it to finish the story, you owe it to yourself.

I read the Hyperion Cantos and didn't feel the need to continue after that, hell it even basically says that in the start of Endymion.

I fucking hated the Fall of Hyperion. Complete let down.

Wheel of Time

I loved this book, but I seriously felt like I hadn't read enough Keats to really get it. Anyone else feel this way?

Don't fall for the 'Hyperion is the only good one' meme. Fall is worth reading for Keats alone, and it has one of the greatest endings in sci-fi history.
Endymion and Rise are frowned upon because Simmons completely abandons non-linear narrative, and it's basically a space adventure. While not as good as first two books, it's still better than 99% of science fiction out there. Also, if you're a world building fag like me, last two books are a treasure. Dyson Tree, river that stretches through hundreds of worlds, water world with complimentary underwater leviathans, an FTL ship that murders and then revives it's crew, reconstructed Old Earth.
I also recommend a short spin-off story 'Orphans of the Helix', which was interestingly meant to be a Star Trek episode

i'm reading Fall of Hyperion now and it seems to have been "let's go to Hyperion and wait for the Shrike to kill us.. oh no, Het Masteen has vanished! oh no, Kassad has vanished! oh no, Martin and Brawne wandered off! oh no, Het Masteen is back!"

people keep appearing and disappearing, traveling through portals every which way, back through time, forward through time, jesus christ, i can not wait for Meina Gladstone to blow that shit up so people will STAY IN ONE PLACE for more than five minutes.

also, why do they imagine Rachel will disappear when she reaches her birthday? wouldn't she just turn into a fetus and die because she's not attached to her mother's placenta? oh, no, wait, she's vanished! the Shrike came and took her!

they really need to sell the aesthetic if they want that to work, because the atmosphere is the strongest part of that book by a long shot

I wouldn't recommend hyperion to anyone. Only the scholars tale and the priests tale are worth your time.

It's a fact that second rate books often make for the best films.

I agree, and I think they would probably fuck it up

The book does have some pretty exciting action sequences, like when the one character is being chased up the rigging of the ship. But while I thought that part of the book was excellent, on the screen it would probably just be meh

Going back to OP's question, there's a fucking really underrated book by Jeff Long called The Descent (no relation to the movie series, although there are some similarities). That could make an excellent series if done right.

That's because the original work is pretty trashy.