Do you guys consider geology a STEM field? Or is it a meme. Regardless I love it and am excited to get my masters in it...

Do you guys consider geology a STEM field? Or is it a meme. Regardless I love it and am excited to get my masters in it.

Fuck the haters, general geology thread

Amateur rock hound here with higher education in another field. I looked into it, did some basic self study, historical geology was interesting, got some rock identification field guides and what not but to pay a university good money to tell you how to remember an endless number of rocks and minerals, do some chemistry, print a fancy certificate with your name on it - you better have inside contacts and a related entry level job lined up in the real world. Maybe specialize in environmental earth sciences or something. Then again, maybe you are rich and don't care about real world things and are into it for a higher enlightenment and banging some university babes in their dorms? A geology major might do well in that field too.

OP here.

Yes, my degree is not in simply geology. Its kind of a dual geology/earth science program. My masters research area is going to be in sedimentology most likely. hopefully with a masters in that I can get a job in the O&G field after maybe 5 years of entry-level work

It seems like there is a disproportionately large amount of geology students on this board, at least compared to the amount of geology students in the two universities where I have studied.

paleofag reporting in
currently doing trilobite morphometrics for my M.Sc.

It's fake news, the world is about 6,000 years old and geologists buy into evolutionist lies in several respects.

Whats the job market look like for paleo?

It's science right faggot?

there's a bizarre amount of geology students on this board, and nobody gives them shit

so i assume its a decent stem field

finishing up my last semester for undergrad. Our department is very into research experience so we all have to take on some research for our last two years, while still taking on a full course load. It's overwhelming tbqh desu.

I was hired at an engineering firm in January, and I'm really just trying to knock this last semester out. It's a challenge to drag my ass to campus.

Any tips for someone that want's to get into undergrad research? I want to do some for my last year at college, but don't know how to go about getting a project

Talk to a professor to get something started. It could be as simple a getting some water samples and running then on a ion chromatograph or as exhausting as collecting isotopic data from rock samples. Whatever you do try to get your stuff into a conference.

I've been meaning to meet with the head of the sed department, but I've been too busy to even be able to meet with her for an hour. My issue is that I don't know what I want to study in grad school. But I guess some experience is better than no experience

Rock licker reporting in.

yea i do isotope geochem, but I want to do min in grad school. They just want to see research experience

Wew good luck!
I found the sedimentary area mighty interesting but there are scant minerals in those areas compared to the shifting metamorphic and igneous zones where I live now. I was in the O and G fields quite a bit for part of a job in the Bakken formation, they drill deep in some parts but heads up, damn it's a harsh land there especially in winter if you end up in the field but nobody makes more cash than those chumps. Even tool pushers are making out large. It will pick up again, always just a matter of time.

I live in a fairly significant area geologically speaking. Lots of igneous history here. My plan is to move to somewhere my degree is applicable. O&G is a dream I doubt will pan out. What else is out there for sed?

micropaleo is coming back into vogue for petroleum. enough operators have gotten burned by overreliance on seismic and well logs (misinterpret the horizons, drill two hundred feet too far, end up in the wrong strata and have a very expensive dry hole to show for it) that they're swinging back towards biostratigraphy as a way of mapping the units in a well.
if you're not doing micropaleo, your only real options are in academia, and there's a decent market (so I hear) for those kinds of positions. the caveat is that if you can't find a paleo position, you're likely to end up teaching anatomy (if vert) or sedimentology (if invert).

Unemployed geofag, living under the overpass, reporting in.

rocks are cool man, you're one of us. without you we wouldn't know the difference between rocks and poo.

I'm realizing this also.

And an influx of geofags in general.

The truth is, we are full, there are no more jobs.

fuck off.