Karaage marinated chicken about to go on charcoal grill with mesquite smoke blocks

Karaage marinated chicken about to go on charcoal grill with mesquite smoke blocks.
Rate?

Yes, I've taken a few liberties with the usual recipe.

>Rate?
show us how they look after cooking first

Recipe? Been wanting to try karaage.

Fair enough.
Its fairly simple. Deboned chicken thighs, butterflied evenly. Grate ginger and garlic. I add grated onion. About tbs of each to senpai-pack of thighs. Add couple of tbs of oil, and about 1/4 soy sauce. Mix, cover and refridge marinate for at least an hour. The thing is not to use flour but potato starch for frying. Fry once on low to cook thu, fry again on high to crisp. I made it by eye after watching shoukugeki no soma. I was close enough and my family loves it. Its why I'm making it today but figured instead of fry, I'd grill. I know, kuraage means deep fried.

Oh, keep the skin on as best you can. Theres a reason why using thighs and not breast.

>senpai-pack

>shokugeki no soma
That's where my interest came too, I just finished watching up to date yesterday.

In fact, I've been meaning to make a thread asking but might as well ask here first - how accurate is the show food-wise? Can I take info and food ideas in the show to be reliable? There are a bunch of recipes or techniquey things I'd like to try but I'm not sure how much it's legit culinary insight and how much it's just anime memeing.

I forgot. I cook a bit tipsy. My wife says I make the best new stuff when I do. Lol

>I cook a bit tipsy
>I make the best new stuff when I do
that's not even surprising. you're a little more relaxed that way

From this one recipe, its pretty good. What I googled while watching, either the staff loves cooking or they did some research. Would still resarch more though.

Shoulda seen my seafood curry. Gallons of awesome that I ate for days. Lol

I'll add on my other ingredients.
I used olive oil since no sesame oil but added sesame seeds. I figure theyd impart and be roasted crunchy goodness when grilled. I also added some mirin, trying to bring the oil from the sesame seeds. after about 2-3 hours of marination, it smells good enough to eat raw. I shall refrain and grill and smoke these yummy fuckers before though. Gonna light the grill. Wish me luck!

>grill

So not karaage? It's chicken skewers.

I think I said that.

karaage isn't a marinade you dumb fuck. it's a method of cooking. kaarage is FRIED chicken

He said that retard, read the thread.

R8?
I don't plate

Fuck off, tell OP to delete his original post. Fucking faggot, not everyone wants to wade through every shit post in a thread

>cooking chicken over direct heat

burnt ass shit.

There's nothing wrong with cooking chicken over direct heat so long as you don't let it overcook and burn. Direct heat doesn't mean automatic burning.

Valid criticism. I like char-grilled so its ok. I get it though.

Agree. It would be great seared, then grilled indirect and basted with some of the reserved garlic/ginger/soy, perhapsa a splash of lime juice, marinade.

You done fucked up OP.

Don't think I fucked up but its good. Will definitely take under advisment though. Sounds good. Dunno about the lime.

Got any pictures of what your normal fried ones look like?

Unfortunately I don't.

They have a well known Japanese chef acting as a consultant.

Almost all the techniques are real and replicable, however, they are exaggerated in the show.

>There's nothing wrong with cooking chicken over direct heat

nothing wrong if your aim is to make unevenly cooked, dry ass chicken husks.