What shitty book series did you read back in middle school?

What shitty book series did you read back in middle school?

I had a Dickens phase while everyone was reading Artemis Fowl.

I read the entire Owen Deathstalker and Dark Tower series.

What did he mean by this?

I read the dark tower series too. Stopped after the the 3rd one though, can't remember why.

>Riordan moved on to Norse now
wew what

The fourth one was the second best, I thought. It was a flashback to Roland's past. Probably not worth it to read them anymore, and they kind of took a nosedive after the fourth.

Yea. Reading any big book series seems to much of a commitment to me. I feel like I would have to start reading from the beginning and I don't want to do that. I rather read other stand alone novels.

haha.

Artemis Fowl, Alex Rider, Septimus Heap

Oh man, Percy Jackson. I remember liking the first one okay but then the second one did nothing but rip off the Odyssey. Like the first one used elements and characters from Greek mythology to tell an original story, but the second one was just a scene for scene remake of the Odyssey. Then by the third book I was getting sick of the"take mythological thing and make it modern" gimmick so I quit.

Also
>that scene where they casually address the fact that God doesn't exist and every surviving religion is wrong
>it's implied that Percy is attracted to the daughter of Athena girl even though they're related

I read this and Daniel X in the 8th grade.

I remember hating Daniel X so fucking much just because the main character say something on the lines of "I'm better than Spider-Man."

darren shan, that vampire story

i wanna re-read it now

none, i was playing final fantasy and masturbating to dickgirls.
Then i read proust

upboattt xDDDDDD

had the first 3 books

i liked the world building

wat is this

Take off the trip, faggot

The first book to make me cry

Later in the series its implied that God does exist and may or may not be missing.

Riordan seems to be setting up for a clash of pantheons or something.

the riordian cinematic universe

honestly that would be pretty cool if you were 12. the issue is by the time he finishes the fifteen series he's writing write now all of the kids who are reading them now won't care

Actually they didn't deny the truth of any religion, as I recall he said something like "sure there might be angels flying around and a god above, but which is more fun?"

honestly The Lightning Thief is decent for what it was, don't hate

>shitty

Yeah its for a younger audience so it must be shitty!

Get over yourself, I'm sure whatever "shit" book series are mentioned ITT are a large part of what led you to what you enjoy reading now.

Really? I thought there was a conversation when he first arrives at the camp and meets Dionysus along the lines of
>So there's no God?
>Capital G, no. But there are plenty of gods.

They just brushed it aside, Percy asks:
"Does that mean God's not real?"
And the Centaur teacher goes:
"Capital G God? That's a question for another time."

Also, it gets pretty good halfway through the third one, one of the bitchy amazon chicks gets straight up murdered by a gargoyle or something like that. I remember reading an article about how it was the turning point of the series from "light kid's fiction" to "dark, young adult" but sadly, I never finished it.

Maximum Ride was my shit! It's literally what got me into reading and I realized books could actually be entertaining and crazy awesome. The first three were amazing from what I remember, with the Final Warning being the point when they stated going down hill.
Max was the point where it was just frustratingly bad, I actually threw it across the room at one point. I remember there was a sticker on the back saying "Special Care has been taken to ensure the language and action is appropriate for all audiences, from age 9 to 99,"
Pissed me right off. Never finished any other ones after that but apparently they get ridiculous, I've always wanted to read them all at a straight shot, guess we'll see.

I just remember a conversation between Percy and his (satyr?) teacher where the teacher is talking about the gods, then Percy asks him if the existence of the Greek pantheon means that God doesn't exist and the teacher says something like "That's metaphysics kid, we're talking about physics here."

fight me

I pity you.

Dune

Maximum ride went to shit after the third book, he never should have continued it.

this shit in elementary

The last book was a good ending but books 4-6 were a mess.

Honestly, I still order his books from the library just to see how he brings all this together.

Step aside niggers, ballin' series coming through.

I changed schools in 7th grade and sat in the back all the time reading this novelization series. I remember it fondly. I had no idea at the time it was an anime or even what anime was. Mind you this was in 1994 or so.

Not the last one, obviously, because it came out long after I left middle school.

Most of the shitty post-Harry Potter YA series came out when I was entering actual adulthood, though I did read the first two Artemis Fowl books when I was at elementary.

i read the first three of those

farseer trilogy

Fuck you i liked it. Though i did have a hard on for Greek mythology after i had read Homer's Odyssey .

what i can remember (i wasn't really into series or anything)
>a bunch of hg wells books
>the call of the wild
>some book about a kid during the civil war. I remember his brothers both fought in it (one being with the union, and the other confederate), and also that the wikipedia page was vandalized as fuck.
>like half of frankenstein in a single sitting (shit's short, yo)
>like a third of 1984
>like half of the 2001 : a space odyssey novelization
>the hunger games series (we had to read these, i didn't much like them.)
gonna get autistic here, but the fact that the name of the country it takes place in (panem), is in the accusative kind of bugs me. I also think it's just kind of lazy (lol it's latin 4 bread so deep (cuz they're poor and don't have bread (and also panem et circenses (so deep)))).

I also remember some book about a kid whose little brother had leukemia, and then he like plays drums to cure the cancer or something.

desu i should have read more when i was younger.

>tfw never read Artemis Fowl solely because Artemis is a supposed to be a goddess, so I thought the main character would be some sissy faggot with a girl name

I read some of the Harry Potter series in middle school. I also read pic related.

ASOIAF

Everyone is so young here.

:)

Septimus Heap

Lot of Artemis Fowl when I was in elementary school. I can't really remember what I liked in middle school.
The Inkheart trilogy I guess

Honestly Percy Jackson is what got me interested in Greek mythology in the first place.

I remember seeing a couple of of kids reading those. Always wondered what they were about but never bothered to read them.

Guardians of Ga'Hoole, Artemis Fowl, Maxiumum Ride, Warriors, Watership Down, Redwall, Charlie Bone, Stroud's Batimaeus, Eragon, HP, Nancy Drew, Boxcar Children, pjo, the divide trilogy, anything by Funke or Sachar
inkheart was probably the most quality 'shitty' children's series i read

Not sure what middle school is so I'm just gonna do primary school, which for me was just shit loads of R.L Stine and Andy Griffiths. I still remember laughing at the nerds who read Harry Potter.

i never finished the series, was the last book good? the first one was pretty decent iirc

You're all so young.

The Famous Five (Enid Blyton)
Heinlein "juveniles"

I loved this book series as a kid, but I'm pretty sure it was half the reason everyone in my class claimed they were dyslexic or had ADHD.

>Alex Rider

Mah nigga

This series was so fucking good when I was in middle school/early high school. The first two still hold up very well, but the rest kind of fall short for me. The Bean series is shit though, really not a whole lot of good going on there, especially as it gets further along. Even at the time I knew it was a bullshit simplification of global politics.

I bump into people at college who still read shit like this. Really bothers me for some reason.

I gave up on the Final Warning, it was really just a cash grab at that point.

Holy kek.

i was too scared to read 'em

there was a pretty big gap between with 3 and 4 were published i think.

I got all four(?) books of The Seventh Tower for Christmas when I was in junior high. I wouldn't call it shitty but it had its flaws.

Great series. 2nd series is good too desu.

These were my shit.

also

wtf how did he write a book after scorpia rising?

this series was my shit. i spent hours and hours on the forums for it. no idea why, i was way younger and the average person there and they constantly made fun of me, but i thought they were all cool. thanks for reminding me of this series man

These were dope. My sister had all of the first two series so I read all those. In 5th grade I wrote and illustrated a 10-page fan fic type of story and it was 'published' (bound and made hardcover, your elementary school might've done something similar)

I liked Ender's Game until the end of the first book. That was way too cruel for me, and too much of a cruel joke, but I stuck with it and the next book was very good... until he pulled that shit again, and then again and again. There was the OCD girl, there was that business with the underage girl that had sex with a guard to be near her, there was the guy attracted to his sister unknowingly (and still attracted after it was known) and getting paralyzed for his efforts, there was Ender causing his AI friend to completely break down just because she couldn't hear him for a while (the fuck is that?), and then in the later part of the third book and the whole last book it just kind of became a mess. (I only read the main original series.) I appreciate knowing all that stuff for reference, and it killed time and some of it was enjoyable, but I kind of wish I'd never started reading them.

I read those books back in Elementary school, and then I stopped reading books.

Get on my level.

yeeeees

It was pretty cool. It got crazy near the end!

Who /gordan korman/ here?

these were actually dope

No Garth Nix? I still like his books now honestly, the Abhorsen series was such a unique take on the fantasy genre and had a pretty cool focus on necromancy.

He also had the 'Keys of the Kingdom' series, which was pretty great in my opinion. Gets pretty dark too. Has to deal with the entire universe being dissolved into nothing and the main character has to defeat the rulers of the house that let the universe go to shit. With 7 books each themed after the days of the week I would say it was worth a look if you still have a thing for dark youth fiction.

It turns into Death Note.

Shit was cash, read it in elementary school. It actually holds up pretty well for something which is essentially the edgy kids harry potter, could have been a decent series for adults if he Stroud would have made it a more mature.

right here famalam never read any of his other stuff though
>Keys of the Kingdom
sounds good

First book was fine in that regard. It was only the second book and after where they started introducing goofy skeleton man and jolly fat guy characters.

Whats wrong with the Dark Tower? What I read of it I really enjoyed. Sure its not the deepest shit ever but King delivered pretty well on the "reality is crumbling" premise.

The entire series has the kinda child friendly dark humor to it, but the insane skelly demon could have been potraited better than just being a fanfiction joker copy with super powers. Thing is that I actually found him pretty scary as a child if thats anything to go by. He either should have written him as a delusional incompetent but still loveable and funny idiot with powers he cant control at all or as a serious and scary threat. Just shows that people cant write insane characters for shit.

Isn't it weird that the series actually takes place in the 1900s? I always thought it was 1800s but there is a part in the second book where they mention getting on a plane and that blew my mind as a kid.

Oh whoops, I never actually read that series now that I think about it. I'll have to give it a shot

The cars from the first book already got me. I was so hard wired to connect anything with magic to middle ages that I didnt even think about it taking place in modern times. If I remember correctly I even read the first book before Harry Potter.

This is the one thing I preferred listening to the audiobook version for. The guy did amazing job on it.

Also I just noticed, Nix really has a thing for the number 7

This may have been a little before middle school, but I enjoyed the "Help I'm Trapped in...." franchise. It was fun bodyswapping stories.

I came here to post basically everything you said about the Ender series.

Garth Nix is great. I'm holding out hope Shade's Children gets made into a movie. Could be legit terrifying.

Keys to the Kingdom was the good shit when I was in like 4th-5th grade

I liked it. It goes through several different worlds and really tries to make them all feel full and alive. It doesn't succeed as well as it could, but not much seems missing, I just wish the ice world actually functioning and an element or two of the ethereal world made a bit more sense. If the books were maybe 25-30% and there was an extra book somewhere everything would have plenty of breathing room and get established well, but it's meaty for kids' fare.

*If the books were maybe 25-30% longer

Terry Pratchett. Could have been worse.

>Alex Rider
Even as a kid, I thought this was steamy shit, how did you enjoy it?

>nobody has mentioned the edge chronicles

my nigga

>Clarkes Space Odyssey (all 4 books).
Yes i was a nerdy kid, just now im seeing how in fact this series is filled with unimaginative ideas. It just reeks of pretentiousness and bullshit "realism". As bad as science fiction is, the hard sf subgenre is the shittiest.

I read this entire series in grade 5 or 6 because they made us read and I liked the covers. I can't remember if it was good or not, just remember it reminding me of legend of zelda.

So like God of War then?