Anyone know how many lung cancers are missed on chest x-rays? and what factors influence is?

anyone know how many lung cancers are missed on chest x-rays? and what factors influence is?

i had one and it came back negative and i still feel like shit night have to have a ct scan

Other urls found in this thread:

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2391122/
nature.com/bjc/journal/v98/n10/fig_tab/6604351t3.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Feeling shitty is usually due to a bad diet and lack of exercise. Just something to consider. What are your symptoms?

Loss of appetite
some non-specific pain (stomach and back)
recently starting getting headaches

i'm certain i do have cancer, i had an abdominal ct scan recently because i thought the loss of appetite must be gastro related, turns out loss of appetite is a major symptom of lung cancer too so now i'm going down that path

everything is a symptom of cancer

>i'm certain i do have cancer
Don't jump to conclusions. There are plenty of reasons you could have a loss of appetite. It could be a psychological issue, like depression. Have you talked to a general practitioner before spending money on all these tests? If nothing turns up in the lungs but you still feel worried, maybe get an MRI to check your brain.

Nah, the loss of appetite is definitely physical. I have gone two days without eating and just never feel hungry

>i'm certain i do have cancer,

You have some generalized symptoms. Wanting to jump from that straight to "I am certain I have cancer" indicates a psyhological issue you ought to deal with.

Which is not to say that you DON'T have cancer, of course...

This fucking guy again. So it's lung cancer this time? Last time it was pancreatic cancer, before that it was colon cancer.

OP's a hypochondriac who will not accept the fact that he fucking does not have cancer.

Don't engage him, because it's useless.

i think sometimes people just know when there's something seriously wrong with them.

>definitely physical
>never feel hungry
How can it be physical when it's a feeling? Besides, I was suggesting there could be a physical problem in the brain. Everything you do or feel stems from the brain, so don't count out the possibility. Also, your recent headaches are definitely due to you not eating for 2 days. Force yourself to eat for a week and see how you feel.

>physical problem in the brain
yeah, it's called hypochondria

I've been wrong about the types of cancer twice, i'm not wrong about cancer. unfortunately medical professionals have not been that great at helping me narrow the specific type of cancer down, so i'm 6 months undiagnosed still feeling like crap. this is not uncommon, most doctors are pretty useless

well that almost indescribable, natural feeling of hunger we get is down to physical processes, no? i have not had that for 6 months.

and yeah, the brain mri isn't a bad suggestion

and i still eat pretty well most of the time, despite my lack of 'hunger'

>i'm not wrong about cancer.
Why are you trusting your instincts over a professionals opinion? Especially when those professionals probably want you to have cancer so that you pay them more to fix it?

Your "apparent" pancreatic cancer magically transformed to lung cancer now?
You are just hypochondriac.

>well that almost indescribable, natural feeling of hunger we get is down to physical processes, no?
The feeling of "hunger" comes from a chemical being released in the brain. If this feeling you're talking about is your stomach growling, that's just a side effect of the chemical being released.

>and i still eat pretty well most of the time
I'm curious to what you consider "eating well"

because i know my own body. not saying my general knowledge is anywhere near that of a doctor, but doctors often have very limited knowledge of particular illnesses, or how particular people are likely to present with them.hear about those robots that are now detecting melanoma? the sooner they're detecting all cancers the better

[math] {\bf PLEASE~STOP~BUMPING~THIS~SHIT~THREAD}[/math]

i guess i misinterpreted my symptoms, but they remain real and true

btw i have been a social smoker for 7 years so maybe i'm asking for it

well i don't seem to get that chemical. or other chemicals are being secreted by tumours and suppressing it perhaps, it's like the signalling between my stomach and brain is broken

I don't see why you are worried.
>get a shit ton of tests from different hospitals
>none of them diagnose your cancer
>die of cancer
>tell your best friend to sue all those hospitals after you die
>rip in pieces in a casket covered with diamonds

Now don't tell me you're a death fearing pussy.

>because i know my own body.
Yet you were wrong about your own body on multiple occasions

> social smoker for 7 years
>Complains about bad appetite
>Complains about random aches and pains
>Complains about headaches
Try replacing smoking with exercise and see how you feel.

>pancreatic cancer user is back
Come on man

i wouldn't really give a shit if i was dying 50 years ago, things are getting pretty exciting now though

i haven't smoked in a while

The reason you don't have an appetite is because you've been in a state of constant anxiety about whether you have cancer for months, not because you actually have cancer.

I have thought about this. If that were the case you'd think there be some let up though, but this is very persistent

No, I wouldn't think there would be a let up. I've been in similar situations of months long anxiety myself. Even if I wasn't hyperfocused on the thing I was anxious about for part of the day, my appetite was still absent.

If they gave you an x-ray and blood tests (assuming) such that both came back negative, the likelihood you have cancer is negligible.

Get off your compooter, do some exercise and eat some veggies you hypochondriac.

Your brain is not that smart, it has spent x weeks in a depression because it thinks you're about to die, it will take it some time to get over the self-imposed conditioning.

>i haven't smoked in a while
but do you exercise?

>loss of appetite is a major symptom of lung cancer too
loss of appetite/weight loss is a symptom of literally every cancer

these threads have to be bait at this point, no person could be this retarded

no, i tried months ago but it didnt bring my appetite back

>loss of appetite/weight loss is a symptom of literally every cancer
hence why i'm worried

lung cancer screening via x-rays has a specificity of 98% and a negative predictive value of 99.9%.

if you received x-ray screening and it came back negative, you Do Not Have Lung Cancer.

It's also a symptom of literally every disease we know of, including hypochondriasis.

[citation needed]
studies i have looked at more like 50-70%

The point is that you're (yet again) being completely retarded fixating on a cancer where _maybe_ a hundredth of a percent of cases occur in people under 25.

If you somehow do get cancer you can bet your left testicle it won't be in your lungs.

>If you somehow do get cancer you can bet your left testicle it won't be in your lungs.
nice

Ah my bad, I was mistakenly looking at CT scan data.

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2391122/ This paper is reporting 97% specificity for x-ray screens.

In most cases you can't absolutely declare that "this is cancer" from an x-ray alone and a CT followup is very advisable in the case of suspicion. Your pic related (which I assume is a googled up image and not your actual xray) shows a mass-like lesion in the lower right lung that appears to have a central cavitation with a fluid level - such lesion might also be an abscess, but of course the image always needs to be correlated with your current clinical findings (does the patient have fever, high CRP...?).

t. radiologist

>i tried months ago
Why did you stop? If you didn't do it long enough to make a habit out of it, then obviously there was no noticeable effect.

OP pulled that picture off google.

Yeah i pulled it off google, now can you answer my question (s) in op?

Hey OP, call up the place that did the CT scan before and ask them to take a look at where your lungs are.

because it had got to the point where i was worrying about long term health, looks like maybe i stopped too late

abdo ct scan only captures like bottom 1/5 of lungs apparently, i wish now i'd had chest done too

problems :
Dehydration, drink till your piss is clear.
Lack of training. Low cardio-vascularity
artery blockage - to much meat, go vegan for 3 years and it will clear.
Sitting to much- start going to yoga classes and sit straight. Also max 1 h sitting a time, then 5minutes minimum to avoid back problems. You dont have cancer, you arent treating your body well so it doesnt treat you well.

Even if you are worried about your long term health, you can still exercise. It's not like exercise is going to make your cancer worse, it's entirely beneficial no matter what you have or think you have.

Are you forcing yourself to eat through your loss of appetite? The headaches are probably due to the fact you're not eating relatively enough.

well yeah, otherwise i would literally never eat and would have died months ago

Talk to a psych and get some anti-anxiety drugs.

>go vegan for 3 years and it will clear.

I don't like predicting findings based on statistics, they're just abstractions of an issue that I find better to evaluate on an individual basis. I don't know whether you're a hypochondriac like people accuse you or not, but I was one and it made me a med graduate. Can you upload the xray in question?

I had your symptoms for 4 years, along with intermittent heart palpitations. Every time I felt my heart start to go I panicked because I thought that I had a heart defect and that this was the time I was going to drop dead. And if I didn't drop dead then, I was going to die in my sleep later. I had headaches every day, I was underweight, I was so tense that a massage therapist couldn't believe how many knots I had in my back and shoulders. I went to the doctor once when I was feeling brave enough and my pulse was incredibly high for someone who was just sitting there, talking normally, feeling "normal." He said it could be anxiety because there was nothing he could see that was wrong with me.

A few months later I got psych meds and every single one of those symptoms disappeared in a month. I have OCD and I'm a hypocondriac and there was never anything physically wrong with my heart. I feel for you, user, mostly because your feelings mimic mine so closely (except that I was afraid of going to the doctor and confirming I was right, while you're doing the opposite). You need to see a psychiatrist, not a radiologist.

don't trust this guy, I bet he's a psychology student trying to trick you into thinking you don't have cancer

i have been on mirtazapine for months now, still no appetite. RIP

i have no access to it of that kind

>i have no access to it of that kind
How so? Just ask your doctor for it.

Try a different drug. Unfortunately, we don't have the technology to determine what drug will be most effective for a given person, so we have to try different ones until we find one that works. Some people have to switch drugs several times until they find one that works for them.

>Loss of appetite
>some non-specific pain (stomach and back)
>recently starting getting headaches

hey, I had all that too! i got a diagnosis and proper care, and although it's chronic, i finally managed to live a healthier life because of my proactiveness to treating it.

next time you head to the doctor, bring up the possibility that you have an anxiety order, jackass.

They wouldn't have standing to sue unless they were married to you or related.

Then you are also dumb.

please stop confabulating your symptoms take this shit elsweyr

Literally all of these are symptoms of anxiety.

If you had acans and bloodwork done and it came back negative then the odds you have cancer are extremely small.

i'm definitely not imagining them

whether or not stress is causing my symptoms remains to be seen. seems highly unlikely

Holy shit, it's the hypochondriac again. Gave up on the pancreas cancer?

yeah, but i've been right all along about cancer

So your dream has finally come true and you've been diagnosed?

soon

So you are not diagnosed.

You have no cancer man, but there is certainly something wrong with your mind. Get help before it gets worse.

What's the deal with Veeky Forums and cancer?

It's basically one insane hypochondriac who keeps deluding himself into thinking that he has some form of cancer. He seeks pity/attention.

>You have no cancer man,
[citation needed]

I can believe you

but

it leads to posts like these, which I can use

Just because it may be a shitpost, doesn't mean we can't derive some discussion out of it, as annoying the subject may be.

op here, i got my x-ray report today and it said 'no OBVIOUS focal lesions'

what did they mean by this? should i be concerned? do i have cancer just not obvious cancer?

>Pancreatic cancer fag, at it again.

Dude got don't have cancer. Either stop or go roll around in some nuclear waste.

im getting these crushing headaches, feels like brain mets

It means you don't have lung cancer.

test

[citation needed]

>it came back negative

>I'm not a hypochondriac
>It came back negative

x-rays miss 30% of cancers apparently

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2391122/

thats ct

not x-ray bro

i like to think tthat x-ray would have picked up anything thats been causing me problems for as long as i think it has, but who knows

Except that's not true at all.

studies i have looked at it is, for about all tumours

bearing in mind that no doubt includes all small hard to detect cancers

for anybody who has been symptomatic like i have for 6 months, you'd expect that % to be a lot higher, i would imagine, so im not too worried right now

* a lot lower

nature.com/bjc/journal/v98/n10/fig_tab/6604351t3.html
You're not interpreting the statistics correctly. The true negative rate for Xray screenings is very high. Given that you received a negative diagnosis on your assay, it's overwhelmingly likely that you don't have lung cancer.

And just for shits and giggles, here's the Bayesian Probability of having cancer given a negative screen result as a function of the prior probability of someone having cancer.

For reference, the lung cancer prevalence in the population in that paper was 0.001025, and everyone there was over 40. For smokers under the age of 25, the rate is somewhere around 2-7%.

The numbers just aren't in the favor of a positive diagnosis.

ok thanks

3rd year med student that crushed my step 1's ama OP.

you could start with the questions ive already asked

They were already answered. You don't have cancer.

ok, good, i never inhaled fags that deeply anyway

op here

im feeling really ill today

i keep getting these awful headaches, i swear its brain mets from lung adenocarcinoma, could they have missed a tumour right on the periphery of my lungs?

The probability is very very low.

could just be stress i guess

You need to see a Psychiatrist.
I'm not joking.

Hey OP, have you ever been infected with Lyme disease, or do you live in a tick-heavy area?

>tfw feel tired all the time and don't know whether it's due to my lack of exercise or mononucleosis