D'you think it'd be justifiable to start having a /film/ general on Veeky Forums...

D'you think it'd be justifiable to start having a /film/ general on Veeky Forums, since it's so common to regard films as basically texts? I mean, it'd be a space to have the kind of film discussion that couldn't be had on /tv/ till we inevitably get a dedicated film board. I reckon there's a way of conducting a conversation about film that would justify having it on a Veeky Forums board, basically if we regard it the same way we'd regard a /drama/ or a /theatre/ general. I mean we have /screenwriting/ generals as well, for Christ's sake.

Mostly this'd be important because there's no place online for people to become cine-literate. You look at a place like Veeky Forums and the elitism forces people to take it seriously or go back to r/books. Lots of people are in the position of needing that kind of harsh elitist space in order to become cine-literate and a /film/ general would provide that.

So why not /film/?

No.
Any film that you can regard as a text shouldn't be a film, because that means it isn't properly utilizing the fact that it's a visual medium.
/tv/ is a shithole but that doesn't mean films should be regularly discussed here.

My university's creative writing major requires students to complete classes in at least two mediums, and screenwriting is included as one of them.

A Veeky Forums thread about films should really be limited to discussion of screenwriting only, not directing or cinematography or any other aspect of filmmaking.

Where should they be discussed then? The point is to contain them to a general so that only one thread at a time contains references to film. It'd also get rid of all other film threads that regularly get posted here into the general, cutting down on shitposting.

>Any film that you can regard as a text shouldn't be a film.
Literally any film can be regarded as a text. They produce meaning in a procession of signs unfolding through time, which is basically what a text does. Unless we're gonna stop regarding theatrical works as texts, if they've ever been performed, it's a pointless old hat position to hold.

>Any film that you can regard as a text shouldn't be a film, because that means it isn't properly utilizing the fact that it's a visual medium.

nah that's bollocks. something like, say, The Man Who Wasn't There uses the visual medium of film to great effect, but still has literary value in its themes, pacing, plot, and so on.

i think that flicks generally should stay on /tv/

that said i do think Veeky Forums could be a forum for discussion of other types of art, such as painting, architecture, and sculpture. there is really nowhere else to go for that on this website, and i think most regular users wouldnt mind because we're all pretenders to high culture. allowing this might even improve the overall quality of the board- hopefully we would get more good art related threads and less shitty tangentially literature related threads.

i wouldnt even be opposed to some discussion of film or anime, but if the caliber of discussion is low that shit should get deleted because it belongs on /tv/ or /a/.

there is no world where im okay with comic or video game related threads on lit though.

Well, my take on this is that there are a hell of a lot of films you can't talk about on /tv/ because it's a board for discussing flicks. /film/ general would necessarily have to be a flick-free zone.

The truefilm subreddit has great discussions sometimes

(If you want to thank me for this contribution go to my account /u/fartsinmycuntbox and upvote me)

They're fine, but not nearly elitist enough to generate a quality atmosphere. Elitism is Veeky Forums's distinctive feature and the thing that makes it special.

Don't forget the virulent racism, mysoginy, antisemitism and worst of all, the shitposting

If le nobel music man and films are now literature, I demand we start discussing paintings.
/ic/ and Veeky Forums never meme about the classics

>mysoginy

Somebody didn't start with the Greeks.

is jacques-louis david, dare i say it, our guy?

It's not going to happen. I wouldn't mind because i personally like film, but that doesn't mean it should be allowed on the board.

I don't know what you're expecting either. /tv/ is a shit board, but so is Veeky Forums really, so it's not like the discussion is going to be any better in the first place.

I like his Horatii and Napoleon.

>Don't forget the virulent elitism, elitism, elitism and worst of all, the ironic smug elitism over other posters (or as you call it shitposting)

I didn't say it was always a good thing. It makes Veeky Forums "special" in more ways than one.

But it has a positive effect that's readily apparent if you compare us to a subreddit like r/books or a board like /tv/

Have you been on /tv/? Are you really comparing the level of discourse here to the discourse there? The equivalent would be if Veeky Forums was a board all about Tom Clancy and Dan Brown books, with occasional threads about game of thrones

Yeah, the names are different, but Veeky Forums still rarely actually discusses stuff.

It's still one the same level of content.

I mean, Veeky Forums is better, mostly because it's much less popular, but it's not that much better if you're actually looking for quality discussion.

Veeky Forums introduced me to many of the writers I love, and works that have well and truly changed me. If nothing else, it provides people with a resource for finding interesting works and encouragement to do so. /tv/ certainly does not do this for film, unless you count The Avengers as a life-changing work of cinema.

paintings and sculptures are supposed to be discussed on Veeky Forums, maybe architecture too if it's specifically artistic architecture

comics and the specific video game genre of interactive fiction are literally more relevant to the Veeky Forums board than any example of film or television

but comics, video games and Veeky Forums all suck

Lit just talks about the canon mainly. They aren't exactly obscure works you would only hear about herw

comics are more than just retarded Marvel/DC bullshit user

Yes, which is why, now I'm pretty well-read, Veeky Forums content is mostly boring with a few interesting threads. But when I first came here when I was fifteen, I was introduced to all this literature that I would never have been pushed towards by anyone else. A resource like that should exist for film, and it can't exist anywhere except Veeky Forums

>Don't forget the virulent racism, mysoginy, antisemitism and worst of all, the shitposting
what board isn't like that on this site?

i would prefer an /elit/ general. To discuss films, theatre, literature, architecture, dance, art and all shit.
An extension of Veeky Forums with all the /elit/ism.

There are plenty of sites that can give you a good live of films to watch though. You don't really need Veeky Forums to do that.

yeah, can we just get a litcore general for high-art discussion?

I'd be up for this

What should we /call/ it?

yes this. I wanna shill for Duchamp.

e/lit/ism general

Misogyny barely exists and is harmless when it does.

Eyyyy
I'm a refugee from /tv/ too. The memes and shitposting make it impossible to actually discuss any film with any real merit.
Unfortunately we just need a /film/ board with a capeshit general or something. /film/ on Veeky Forums would be too conflicting. Good thing Hiro is so attentive and helpful, I'm sure he'll respond to community needs.