LET'S SETTLE THIS ONCE AND FOR ALL

LET'S SETTLE THIS ONCE AND FOR ALL

WHICH ENGLISH WRITER HAS THE MOST BEAUTIFUL STYLE?

Bellow is the GOAT English prose stylist of the 20th century

Woolf in The Waves

Gass in Omensetter's Luck. It's his most accomplished novel, and I will fite Tunnelmemers irl.

Fucking yikes

this or t s eliot in ash wednesday

he meant to say 'below' i.e. woolf

Shakespeare

Shakespeare

Whoever was the guy who wrote my diary desu

>style of English writers
Gee, can't do much wrong with a fucking over-simplified pidgin language that is as rigid as it is dull

Joyce no question

If I or anyone who replies to this post gets dubs they have to post a page of their diary

Ravioli ravioli give me the rollioli

j joyce
come on

j a baker

I havent read my diary desu

This
But is Joyce desu

"Beautiful style" is old-fashioned. If youre trying to write pretty prose in 2016, just lol. Its like painting sunsets.

Shakespeare.
Next!

You're an embarrassment. Don't post on my board again.

Yes I am le mad

All right grandpa

Probably Ludovici for 20th century non-fiction.

Ugh go pop a xan you fucking boring twat

Stay mad that literature is about being A E S T H E T I C now rather than reactionary purple prose shit ugh

>just lol
>JUST LOL
>JUST
>LOL
>JUST LOL
>JUST LOL
>Just

You sound a little panicked... As if your hard drive full of joyce imitations suddenly seems very silly

the Scottish ones.

Eliot can try to be English all he likes, he's not fooling anyone.

Me

Nigga I haven't had time to write fiction since high school. I just recognize minimalists for the sub-humans they really are.

But really how can you type the words, "then just lol", and think that constitutes an argument?

Your style of writing isn't the dominant mode; it will never be the dominant mode, cuz it's shite. Well crafted prose will always trump your iceberg bullshit

Prove me wrong faggot

you got the order confused, im not "just lol" guy, i was responding to "just lol" guy

but anyway hemingway wasnt a "minimalist," although he didnt propose the iceberg theory. hemingway changed 20th century literature for the better. he brought us out of the flower petals and tea victorian age and single-handedly invented the way we write now. modern prose is plain, clear, direct, and unpretentious. the fiction writers who are building joycean "cathedrals" and thinking about alliteration are dead or getting a creative writing degree, which amounts to the same thing.

Don't have a diary but I'll write one if needs be

let's play

>modern prose is plain, clear, direct, and unpretentious.

is it really though?

im two thoughts ahead of you: let me remind you that harold bloom is like 100 years old

Bloom is a spook.

Emily Bronte.

yes but Veeky Forums is a community of 21 year old pseuds whose reading is guided by an old yale professor whose aesthetic taste was made in the late 40s. the guy cant even tolerate listening to a rock song, and these aspiring literary greats look to him as a guide to art in 2016.

Please list some modern writers whose styles are consistent with your opinions.

Joyce.

Milton most beautiful

followed by Chaucer

This actually applies to all art. "Beauty" as a measure of merit was exploded in the visual arts scene decades ago. It's not new.

But you probably didnt know that

Amusing to see Veeky Forums continue to revere lolita as if that's what good writing is

writer of Beowulf for beautiful and purest English

>"Beauty" as a measure of merit was exploded in the visual arts scene decades ago.

By Jews, hacks, and money launderers?

one of these things is not like the others.

hacks?

>in 2016
>just lol

hey trudeau bud, hows it goin with the cuckery bud?

Even if it were I don't know how that could possibly be desirable.

You're a fuck if you think that the only appeal of Lolita is it's pretty prose. More so than any other novel that comes to mind, the floridity of the language isn't just empty calories or window dressing, it is a core aspect of the way the narrator is skewing and shaping the events of the book.

This. Tao Lin is my favorite writer.

Ya you don't have that excuse for the rest of his work. Stop making us look bad

>"Beauty" as a measure of merit was exploded in the visual arts scene decades ago.
here you have it. historically, the literature has not exploded in that magnitude yet.

Yeah but then you read every other nabokov novel and you realize his frilly prose wasnt just a device, it was an obsession (and the same is true of the subject matter, oops)

>"joycean cathedrals"
have you even read joyce? he's clear and direct all the time

Surely you dont mean... all the time

often

Easy, the ones that were not native English. Nobokov and Conrad.

rock in 2016 is lame tho

me desu

Updike.

i second this post

lmao this is google quote worthy
served

how would you ever explode it to that magnitude though? language is very different to vision, I don't think it's possible for literature to deconstruct itself the way art did.

Milton is prob number 1 to my mind.

But for sheer beauty of expression in prose, it's hard to do better than George Eliot

Why it is James Joyce of course

This is the worst/lit/ meme

Obviously beauty here is taken to mean sublimity, not strictly floweryness.

Bellow & 'Bokov

honorable mention: Updike

Not English either

Will Self

Blake

>I am bitter that I can't write well

I like Hollinghurst's style. He may not be the best, but deserves a mention.