I'm in between midterms, so it's time to cook. Today we're making pasta Genovese, slowcooked beef chuck and red onions

I'm in between midterms, so it's time to cook. Today we're making pasta Genovese, slowcooked beef chuck and red onions.

We'll be using:
1kg beef chuck
2kg red onions
1/4 kg bacon
2 carrots
1 rib of celery
Salt & Pepper
MSG
Olive oil
White wine
And rigatoni pasta

I've done some prep, so let's get started.

Looking good so far m8

Once peeled the onions get to boil for a few minute to soften before slicing them up. Peeling this amount of onions is a royal pain in the ass too.

While that's going we'll cut up the vegetables, beef and bacon.

A pretty good piece of chuck, very little gristle to cut away.
Not pictured: Dutch oven heating up on the stove.

Next we add too much oil to the Dutch oven, and drop in carrots, celery and bacon for a few minutes.

Meat and spices go in next. The recipe I've used before ended up being really mild, so we shouldprobably go with a little extra pepper this time.

Finally we drop in the now thinly sliced onions. Normally the recipe calls for half the oil on top of this, but I accidentally added it all at the start. Oh well!

I should also note the recipe I've used before skipped the onion boiling step, so I'm looking forward to seeing the difference here (if any).

We'll cover this and let it simmer for about two hours - no additional liquid is needed since the onions will release theirs. See you in a bit.

I miss you :(

How's it going, OP?

I was just about to do an update! The onions have started releasing their liquid, taking on a another color. Still about 45 minutes to go before the last step.

It's time we start reducing some of this liquid. We're raising the heat and taking the lid off for the next 45 minutes, while sitting to prevent anything getting burnt at the bottom. We'll add some white wine in about half an hour too.

Oh, thanks, I guess? I'm sure you have me confused for someone though.

Wine added and dude reduced. It's about time to let the heat again and stir it well until it gets a nice glossy finish. Starting up the pasta as well, with a tiny pot to maximize the starch concentration.

By moving some of the sauce over to a separate pan and adding the starchy water from the finished pasta we can make it stick to the pasta much better. We'll finish the pasta in with the sauce for the same reason.

Nice thread op

I'm glad I'm not at your house. Those are going to be some rancid farts.

And finally the money shot. Thanks to anyone following along, I hope it inspired your own cooking. Now back to your regularly scheduled shitposting.

Thank you!

With all the onion compound a reduced to sugars it's not that bad. At least I have a delicious meal.

So much effort and it looks like shit
I bet it tastes great though
Going to try it out next time I use chuckroast of lamb

I should add I really can't tell any difference for having parboiled the onions. Slicing them is easy with a food processor anyway.

Correct on both counts. Lamb should make for an interesting take on it, best of luck.

Fuck off retard

Quality posting my friend

I bet my ass that tastes good but the way it looks is rather displeasing desu

im glad to see you switched to red with the meal at least

>money shot
It looks like a pile of shit

Shit looks worse than Chef Boyardee

Try better lighting next time.

Looks good

needs cheese tho

Not using a piece of shit chinkphone would be a start.

I've never been a fan of parmesan with this particular dish, but that's just me.